SiouxSports.com Forum

US vs Canada - Women's Hockey

BobIwabuchiFan

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Wait, what?  So who did the US beat last night, Slovenia?

My bad. I thought Finland had upset Canada instead of Russia. Wouldn't really call that an upset actually, which is probably why the hype confused me.  Your point is made. 

39 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

My bad. I thought Finland had upset Canada instead of Russia. Wouldn't really call that an upset actually, which is probably why the hype confused me.  Your point is made. 

Finland beat Germany 8-0 in the bronze medal game.  The upset vs Canada was in pool play, which Canada sleep-walks thru anyways.

Germany was outscored 19-0 in the semi-final game and bronze medal game.  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/nhl/2017/04/04/womens-world-championship-finland-germany-gap%3Fsource%3Ddam

Closing the gap?  The opening statement in this article is a joke, right?  If 11-0 and 8-0 medal-round games are your idea of "closing the gap," sure, I guess.  But if this tournament is somehow supposed to make me interested enough to tune in to watch Russia va Canada or Switzerland vs USA in next year's Olympic pool play, no thanks.  I might watch the gold medal game...if I don't have to shovel snow that day.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So the US woman's team added a forward and defenseman a week ago and it turns out the Twins didn't play a game (healthy scratches) at the 4 Nations Cup.

Could the Twins be getting cut from the team before the Olympics? The discussion starts at 18:38 about the twins.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/11/29/16714754/top-shelf-podcast-episode-1-wherefore-art-thou-lamoureuxs-ncaa-nwhl-cwhl-womens-hockey-olympics