SiouxSports.com Forum

US vs Canada - Women's Hockey

BobIwabuchiFan

10 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

But this thread is about the World Championships...the program's demise is another thread.  Related, but separate topics.

Agreed. The related part is what I was referring to.  People don't give a damn about the WC, imo.  More lumping them both together cause of timing.

14 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

My little boy is loving watching any international hockey- he thinks its awesome- and I dont disagree.  Its fun hockey played at a high level.  For boys and girls (that typically play together through Squirt) this is exactly how to play.  Body contact, but no checking, move the puck...I've been coaching Mite, and didn't play organized after high school- intramural doesn't count, but these women are good players!!!  I am engaged in this tourney- if you're mocking, just watch a period.

2010 Olympics:  Canada and the US outscored their preliminary round opponents by a combined score of 69-3.  

At the 2016 World Championships, non-USA vs Canada preliminary games in Pool A were decided by a combined score of 24-4.  The gold medal-winning US team defeated bronze medalist Russia in the medal round semi-finals by the score of 9-0.

Sorry if I'm not "engaged" in watching that.  

• Upvote 2

The last two USA games, Canada and Russia, turned into let me go coast to coast and make a highlight reel play. Jocelyne tried a spin-o-rama move on Canada, moves like that are why checking needs to be in the game. When the US were up 4-0 I thought they would try and get Jocelyne a hat trick and stop the scoring at 5, but no they scored 7 one being a super soft goal with around 10 seconds left in the game.

Hopefully the rest of the world gets better so international women's hockey is competitive, instead of being the Canada and US invitational.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

2010 Olympics:  Canada and the US outscored their preliminary round opponents by a combined score of 69-3.  

At the 2016 World Championships, non-USA vs Canada preliminary games in Pool A were decided by a combined score of 24-4.  The gold medal-winning US team defeated bronze medalist Russia in the medal round semi-finals by the score of 9-0.

Sorry if I'm not "engaged" in watching that.  

Well that's one way to avoid mimosas!  :D

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Saw an article online an hour ago talking about Germany "closing the gap" between the USA and Canada.  Yea, not so much.

When a US player says in the post game interview that the had to work "harder and smarter." You just beat them back to WWII

"We set little goals for each period we wanted to hit." - Kelli Stack

Beating Germany 11-0 looks bad, if this happened at the Olympics might as well make it a best of 7 between the USA and Canada for the gold.

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

When a US player says in the post game interview that they had to work "harder and smarter." You just beat them back to WWII.

"We set little goals for each period we wanted to hit." - Kelli Stack

Beating Germany 11-0 looks bad, if this happened at the Olympics might as well make it a best of 7 between the USA and Canada for the gold.

This tournament is a joke.  There, I said it.  Invite Sweden, Finland, Canada and the USA and make it a one weekend event.  

Spare me the "drama" of a, what, almost two-week long circus and an 11-0 medal-round semi-final game.  Embarrassing.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

This tournament is a joke.  There, I said it.  Invite Sweden, Finland, Canada and the USA and make it a one weekend event.  

Spare me the "drama" of a, what, almost two-week long circus and an 11-0 medal-round semi-final game.  Embarrassing.  

Once the game is out of hand, Stauber should just play the 3rd and 4th lines the rest of the game or just put out 5 defensemen.

Once the game is out of hand, Stauber should just play the 3rd and 4th lines the rest of the game or just put out 5 defensemen.

Heck no.  Now that my USAH dues are going to pay these women's salaries I want goals.  I want blood.  It's not worth winning if you don't win big!

What a joke this has become.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That would totally F up my World Women's Fantasy hockey team!!  I was US heavy this year-

• Upvote 4

Lead story on Gophersports.com 

"10 current or former Gophers bring home medals....6 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze..."

its all about recruiting and commitment...Lady Gophers have their own arena, donated by Mrs. Ridder of St. Paul...of the Knight-Ridder publishing family....comparing the commitment to women's hockey between UND and Minnesota...is like the proverbial 'apples/oranges'

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Lead story on Gophersports.com 

"10 current or former Gophers bring home medals....6 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze..."

its all about recruiting and commitment...Lady Gophers have their own arena, donated by Mrs. Ridder of St. Paul...of the Knight-Ridder publishing family....

The Ridder family donated $500K.

Minnesota taxpayers "donated" $10 million. 

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

USA wins the gold in overtime 3-2

USA semi-final:  11-0 over Germany

Canada semi-final:  4-0 over Finland

I'm going to revamp my original tournament idea.  Let's get rid of Sweden and Finland and just have the USA and Canada play a best-of-three to decide who will wear the home whites in the gold medal game.  

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

USA semi-final:  11-0 over Germany

Canada semi-final:  4-0 over Finland

I'm going to revamp my original tournament idea.  Let's get rid of Sweden and Finland and just have the USA and Canada play a best-of-three to decide who will wear the home whites in the gold medal game.  

Considering Canada didn't make the final and the USA had to go to OT, I'm not sure how you claim to your "revamp." I agree the sport needs to be more competitive...and have checking...but upsets breed improvement for the sport. Same reason UCONN losing was good for women's NCAA basketball.