SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU

bincitysioux

This is a very key game IMO. I was very confident coming into this season, but after getting embarrassingly shelled by a very pedestrian Cal Poly team on a neutral floor and a lackluster performance against a beatable Bowling Green team, I find it hard to be overly confident about any opponent at this point.

North Dakota should be favored to win this one rather comfortably at the Sioux Center, but you just never know with this schizophrenic team. The Jacks aren't setting the world on fire, but they are coming off a very impressive win against a very good Belmont team. They are 3-7 with an RPI of 218.

I think the Jacks are finally finding their identity without Wolters and bringing in a few new pieces (Larson from UF). Hopefully it doesn't include zone defense.

They would be foolish not to zone us. I kind a hope they do so we have another chance to work on it with a team that is very like most Big Sky teams because all that matters at this point is the Big Sky season. I've seen some progress in our zone offense lately and especially when Schuler is in the middle. He makes great passes from that position and takes very smart and good shots. I have also seen more passing from others that generally don't like to pass and if we are hitting our open shots we will be fine.

They would be foolish not to zone us. I kind a hope they do so we have another chance to work on it with a team that is very like most Big Sky teams because all that matters at this point is the Big Sky season. I've seen some progress in our zone offense lately and especially when Schuler is in the middle. He makes great passes from that position and takes very smart and good shots. I have also seen more passing from others that generally don't like to pass and if we are hitting our open shots we will be fine.

Definitely agree. Nagy is a good coach, he will have no issue throwing a zone at UND. Hopefully there is a good crowd there, should be lots of people with tickets already from the Big Game pack.

SDSU is long.... and their starting 5 is very solid. All 5 of their starters are 10+ ppg and any one of them can have a big game. Dykstra is the "Star" so to speak, one of the best players in the summit and one of the best inside/outside threats in that conference. We all know what Chad White can do :crazy: . Bittle looks to be another star guard in the making and is blossoming in his sophomore year (he is coming back from injury but looked pretty good against Belmont). Carlson is a solid senior who knows his role and at any time can go off for 15-20 points a night if needed. Larson is the surprise and has given SDSU what they needed out of the 5 and more. Good for him to apparently get his life back in some order after some struggles in HS and down in Florida. He has come a long way since the last time I saw him play, when his SF roosy team played ours in Minnesota.

However, SDSU is not deep. They do have the highly decorated freshman Broman (who can go off and score) off the bench but that is about it for scoring. Something Heemstra can provide good minutes.

Personally, SDSU is the biggest threat to NDSU winning the summit and not DU. If they can develop so much as a bench I think they can serious challenge NDSU.

In our end, they will run zone to use their length and protect their bench. We need to be very aggressive in attacking the zone and make them pay. This needs to be a win at home to start gaining some positive momentum for conference play. Our 1st 6 conference games will be very important with 2 big road trips to UNC and Montana, with a home game against Weber thrown in. Also throw a ISU team that can play junk D anything can happen their.

I expect this team (minimum) when MLK day rolls around to be at 9-7 and 5-1 in conference.

SDSU is long.... and their starting 5 is very solid. All 5 of their starters are 10+ ppg and any one of them can have a big game. Dykstra is the "Star" so to speak, one of the best players in the summit and one of the best inside/outside threats in that conference. We all know what Chad White can do :crazy: . Bittle looks to be another star guard in the making and is blossoming in his sophomore year (he is coming back from injury but looked pretty good against Belmont). Carlson is a solid senior who knows his role and at any time can go off for 15-20 points a night if needed. Larson is the surprise and has given SDSU what they needed out of the 5 and more. Good for him to apparently get his life back in some order after some struggles in HS and down in Florida. He has come a long way since the last time I saw him play, when his SF roosy team played ours in Minnesota.

However, SDSU is not deep. They do have the highly decorated freshman Broman (who can go off and score) off the bench but that is about it for scoring. Something Heemstra can provide good minutes.

Personally, SDSU is the biggest threat to NDSU winning the summit and not DU. If they can develop so much as a bench I think they can serious challenge NDSU.

In our end, they will run zone to use their length and protect their bench. We need to be very aggressive in attacking the zone and make them pay. This needs to be a win at home to start gaining some positive momentum for conference play. Our 1st 6 conference games will be very important with 2 big road trips to UNC and Montana, with a home game against Weber thrown in. Also throw a ISU team that can play junk D anything can happen their.

I expect this team (minimum) when MLK day rolls around to be at 9-7 and 5-1 in conference.

Very nice analysis. They are better than their record and hopefully so are we. We will be so much quicker than them but we must continue to improve on playing unselfish and make the extra pass or otherwise they will outplay us as a team. I predict we will by 4-6 points is all, a real close one throughout.

Dexter said 1,800 tix sold for this game. That's pretty good since the students will be gone.

Sounds like more of the same. We are way more athletic, but they'll play zone, and that has stumped us so far.

We are so much better than the Jacks, but I'm not confident heading in. Win this game and it will do a lot toward heading into Big Sky play...................

Dexter said 1,800 tix sold for this game. That's pretty good since the students will be gone.

Sounds like more of the same. We are way more athletic, but they'll play zone, and that has stumped us so far.

We are so much better than the Jacks, but I'm not confident heading in. Win this game and it will do a lot toward heading into Big Sky play...................

Based on what?

• Upvote 1

UND boat raced the top Summit team in Grand Forks. Montana beat the Jacks in Brookings. That being said, SDSU has looked like they are figuring it out and if UND plays like they have been on the road, the Jacks will win.

Lol We haven't played the Bison yet and UND hasn't played the Grizz yet,not that comparative scores mean anything anyway.

• Upvote 1

Lol We haven't played the Bison yet and UND hasn't played the Grizz yet,not that comparative scores mean anything anyway.

Not sure where I said they had. You asked what the opinion of UND being better than the Jacks was. I was pointing out that UND light up what is predicted to be the top team in the Summit. And in Brookings (where SDSU is very good), they lost to what is predicted to be a team equal with UND. UND historically plays very well at home and despite that, I said if they played like they did on the road the last few weeks SDSU would win.

What is your reasoning that SDSU is better than UND since you seem to be surprised that people (on a UND fan board) think UND is the better team in a game being played in Grand Forks?

Not sure where I said they had. You asked what the opinion of UND being better than the Jacks was. I was pointing out that UND light up what is predicted to be the top team in the Summit. And in Brookings (where SDSU is very good), they lost to what is predicted to be a team equal with UND. UND historically plays very well at home and despite that, I said if they played like they did on the road the last few weeks SDSU would win.

What is your reasoning that SDSU is better than UND since you seem to be surprised that people (on a UND fan board) think UND is the better team in a game being played in Grand Forks?

Especially when SDSU beat UND on a buzzer beater in Brookings last year.

UND boat raced the top Summit team in Grand Forks. Montana beat the Jacks in Brookings. That being said, SDSU has looked like they are figuring it out and if UND plays like they have been on the road, the Jacks will win.

....and UND got trashed by NDSU last year but almost beat the Jackrabbits. Comparative scoring has very little place in basketball.

• Upvote 1

....and UND got trashed by NDSU last year but almost beat the Jackrabbits. Comparative scoring has very little place in basketball.

I guess a person can go round and round. We didn't have Brekke( 2 minutes) and no Huff last year when we played NDSU. This year with still no Brekke but with Huff back UND trashed NDSU.