SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

How quick is Brown? I'm not sure that they stick Braun on Huff either, maybe rotate but I don't think they will the whole game. Wouldn't be surprised to see UND go Nash/Huff/Anderson and two of Webb/Schuler/Hooker, especially if Bjorklund is out of the game.

Solid defender. Pretty athletic.

ndsu has a great defensive team. i dont see a player like huff going off for 30+. huff could still have a good game though, hes a real nice player. ndsu runs into trouble with slashers who dish. they dont help d very well, and if und shooters are on it could be interesting.

ndsu has been a wierd offensive team this year. their strength is shooting and getting to the rim, however their outside shooting has been terrible 3 of the last 4 halves, and they teally struggled getting to the rim against southern miss defense which is outstanding.

i look for a slow paced half court game with ndsu shooters being the difference.

i would not be surprised if und wins this game.

ndsu has a great defensive team. i dont see a player like huff going off for 30+. huff could still have a good game though, hes a real nice player. ndsu runs into trouble with slashers who dish. they dont help d very well, and if und shooters are on it could be interesting.

ndsu has been a wierd offensive team this year. their strength is shooting and getting to the rim, however their outside shooting has been terrible 3 of the last 4 halves, and they teally struggled getting to the rim against southern miss defense which is outstanding.

i look for a slow paced half court game with ndsu shooters being the difference.

i would not be surprised if und wins this game.

Overall, Wisconsin is a better defensive team than NDSU though they seemed to be content running with UND, which isn't how they normally play. If NDSU chooses to do that, they won't win (takes Bjorklund out of the game). If they can turn it into more of a half court game, it plays into their favor. Doesn't Saul model his team after Bo Ryan's? Probably helps UND some coming off that game.

Overall, Wisconsin is a better defensive team than NDSU though they seemed to be content running with UND, which isn't how they normally play.

Ya think? When Wisconsin basketball is on TV...the usual result is me changing the channel. All Wisconsin basketball needs on most days is a peach basket and short shorts.

saul has alot of wisconsin principles, but has definitely his own style now. he will not run with und, or anyone. he will gladly sacrifice offense to keep a slow tempo. i think und may struggle offensively if they try to play uptempo and not be patient. i would put money down on ndsu having some moments of struggling offensively. saul seems to pull his offense back in order to control the defensive tempo.

if und crashes in on bjorklund and ndsu is not shooting 3s , they will struggle and you will see a very ugly game. one thing i think ndsu does better than most teams i have seen them play the last 3 years is control tempo. they lose some games, but they have stoll controlled tempo. st marys was an exception because they did an outstanding job getti g into the paint and dishing amd it killed the bison. they are so focused defensively on their own man they dont help d well at all.

Should be a close fun game to watch. I wouldn't bet on either team. I just don't know. They seem to be pretty close with a slight edge to su I don't see Huff going off again like that. Just wish UND had a scoring threat inside.

Huff went off against a great defense team and a great defense coavh in Bo Ryan; you can bet he will explode like that again.

My disappointment is with Webb, im starting to think it has a lot to do with Hooker taking his minutes away. I would've never guessed that would be the case after a pretty good season last year by Webb.

Anderson had a solid performance. Needs to kick it out when he driving in the lane amd not force layups over 7 footers.

Shuler played solid.

Nash played aggressive offensively. Needs to not force out od control shots.

Calcaterra/Salmonson= sucked

saul has alot of wisconsin principles, but has definitely his own style now. he will not run with und, or anyone. he will gladly sacrifice offense to keep a slow tempo. i think und may struggle offensively if they try to play uptempo and not be patient. i would put money down on ndsu having some moments of struggling offensively. saul seems to pull his offense back in order to control the defensive tempo.

if und crashes in on bjorklund and ndsu is not shooting 3s , they will struggle and you will see a very ugly game. one thing i think ndsu does better than most teams i have seen them play the last 3 years is control tempo. they lose some games, but they have stoll controlled tempo. st marys was an exception because they did an outstanding job getti g into the paint and dishing amd it killed the bison. they are so focused defensively on their own man they dont help d well at all.

Might want to check on that "dictates slow tempo" thing. They haven't dictated sh*t thus far.

I think the fact that NDSU has played 4 games and we have only played 2 will be a factor.

What type of factor? Do you think NDSU has the advantage because they've had more games to come together as a team?

Personally, I think UND will be firing on all cylinders and the crowd will be our sixth man. Sioux by 10.

What type of factor? Do you think NDSU has the advantage because they've had more games to come together as a team?

Personally, I think UND will be firing on all cylinders and the crowd will be our sixth man. Sioux by 10.

Obviously the team practices together. And yes, we have guys that have been together for 5 years. But the team of Seniors and new additions have only had 2 games together. I think that they play well together but sometimes it takes a few games to get a feel for each other. NDSU has had 4 games together, we have had only 2. Not saying its a huge factor. Just that it is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked thats all.

You sound as if you think NDSU is a better team than Wisconsin. Wisconsin plays quality half-court basketball and UND still scored 80+ while Huff scored 37 pts. UND would've been right in the game had Wisconsin's 7-footer not hit 6 threes and scored 43 pts. The determining factor will be whether or not NDSU can keep up with UND offensively. I expect UND to play up tempo, because that's Brian Jones' style, and score plenty. If they can play good enough defense/rebound, UND will do fine.

UND by 10.

I agree that Huff is capable and I hope he explodes again this year. But take into account he had a career high. Went back and looked at his season stats:

2011 44% from the field and 33% from 3 point

2012 40% from the field and 20% from 3 point

2013 45% from the field and 36% from 3 point

Against Wisconsin 68% from the field and 67% from 3 point

Huff isn't a great shooter. Huff can be a great scorer. Hopefully he has improved this year.

Might want to check on that "dictates slow tempo" thing. They haven't dictated sh*t thus far.

LMAO, yea, uhh, no. The time NDSU allows over 100 points in regulation to anyone, nonetheless a Wisconsin team who will probably average 50-60 ppg in the Big 10, will be the time I will take these kind of posts seriously.

You sound as if you think NDSU is a better team than Wisconsin. Wisconsin plays quality half-court basketball and UND still scored 80+ while Huff scored 37 pts. UND would've been right in the game had Wisconsin's 7-footer not hit 6 threes and scored 43 pts. The determining factor will be whether or not NDSU can keep up with UND offensively. I expect UND to play up tempo, because that's Brian Jones' style, and score plenty. If they can play good enough defense/rebound, UND will do fine.

UND by 10.

NDSU is not better than Wisconsin. I would bet the farm that NDSU would not allow Wisconsin to get to the century mark in regulation. They've done that never under Saul as a coach. Wisconsin wasn't playing half court basketball at all. UND wasn't guarding, Wisconsin was shooting open shots and hitting, and UND would come down and force something. Like what JDub said, Wisconsin was allowing it because UND wasn't guarding and Wisconsin was hitting shots. I would put money down that if Wisconsin wasn't hitting shots you would have seen a different kind of game. Probably still be around what it was for score, but it would have been a different game.

I watched the UND-Wisconsin game. I was impressed with Huff. Guys a very good player. I was even impressed with some of the inside play, UND has some athletes that can play inside, but you fans don't seem to like them and you know them more than I do. They aren't going to post up, but they can get in and rebound off Huff driving. I was very impressed with UND on offense. They force alot, but they have players that can. With that being said, I was equally unimpressed with the defense. I don't see NDSU having any issues scoring on your defense. The issue will be if NDSU can stay consistent. Their offense played pretty well tonight and outran a Western Michigan team who's won 15 nonconference home games in a row.

It's going to be a good game. I think NDSU wins. I wouldn't be surprised if UND wins. Both teams have very good individual players who can get to the rim. Both teams have shooters. NDSU has an inside prescence. UND has players who can carry the team in spurts. NDSU plays defense. UND seems to like to run. NDSU is very good in defensive transition. UND likes to stay in transition, is good at it, and doesn't seem to use many sets.

NDSU is not better than Wisconsin. I would bet the farm that NDSU would not allow Wisconsin to get to the century mark in regulation. They've done that never under Saul as a coach. Wisconsin wasn't playing half court basketball at all. UND wasn't guarding, Wisconsin was shooting open shots and hitting, and UND would come down and force something. Like what JDub said, Wisconsin was allowing it because UND wasn't guarding and Wisconsin was hitting shots. I would put money down that if Wisconsin wasn't hitting shots you would have seen a different kind of game. Probably still be around what it was for score, but it would have been a different game.

I watched the UND-Wisconsin game. I was impressed with Huff. Guys a very good player. I was even impressed with some of the inside play, UND has some athletes that can play inside, but you fans don't seem to like them and you know them more than I do. They aren't going to post up, but they can get in and rebound off Huff driving. I was very impressed with UND on offense. They force alot, but they have players that can. With that being said, I was equally unimpressed with the defense. I don't see NDSU having any issues scoring on your defense. The issue will be if NDSU can stay consistent. Their offense played pretty well tonight and outran a Western Michigan team who's won 15 nonconference home games in a row.

It's going to be a good game. I think NDSU wins. I wouldn't be surprised if UND wins. Both teams have very good individual players who can get to the rim. Both teams have shooters. NDSU has an inside prescence. UND has players who can carry the team in spurts. NDSU plays defense. UND seems to like to run. NDSU is very good in defensive transition. UND likes to stay in transition, is good at it, and doesn't seem to use many sets.

What does an NDSU grad do if they lose their farm ;)

LMAO, yea, uhh, no. The time NDSU allows over 100 points in regulation to anyone, nonetheless a Wisconsin team who will probably average 50-60 ppg in the Big 10, will be the time I will take these kind of posts seriously.

What? This has nothing to do with UND. You said NDSU dictates a slow-down tempo and will NOT compromise. Go look at their box scores. Pretty much the opposite.