SiouxSports.com Forum

How much affect does the crowd really have?

dagies

Curious from people who have played organized sports how much factor the crowd really plays.  Yes, I can understand that having a bunch of people screaming at a certain part of a game can give a boost.  But I am looking even more big picture...

I was at all three games at the Frozen Four.  To me, each game got better as the stakes increased.

UNH/Maine game was kind of boring.  There were a lot of people there but only about 2000 people cheering for either team, so there wasn't a lot of "atmosphere" in my opinion.  The game didn't strike me as having great flow to it.  It was almost like there was a game happening in spite of the crowd, vs a crowd there to watch a game.

On Thurs night with the strong MN crowd, there was definitely more crowd involvement.  The game struck me as a better played game, more exciting, more flow, etc.

Of course on Sat night things were rocking, there was electricity in the air, etc.  It was palpable.  The game was awesome.

My question is, was the UNH/Maine game boring because the teams didn't play very well, or because they knew each other so well they could counter each other (disrupt the flow) or did the players just not have that intangible because the crowd was almost disinterested in the game???

The Maine I saw on Thurs afternoon is the Maine I thought would get blown out 6-2 by the Gophers.  Yet I was pretty impressed with Maine on Sat night.  Not as talented offensively, but pretty strong defensively, and enough offensive ability to make it interesting.

Can the crowd really have THIS much of an affect on both teams?  Or am I full of __.

A large crowd like Saturday's can have a huge effect, but I would think for both teams.  Several of the Maine players were quoted in the paper earlier saying they couldn't wait to silence the crowd with that first goal.  I think it fires everyone up.

Back in the '97 Frozen Four at Milwaukee, the Sioux/Tiger game during the day seemed kinda boring, lifeless.  But the Michigan/BU game that night with a huge crowd was one of the most exciting games I've ever attended.   Both teams skated well beyond anyone's expectations, with BU upsetting the Wolverines.  Unforgettable.

taz

I tend to agree with Taz.  A good crowd can feed the home team, or provide motivation for the visitors.  Other intangible factors I think affecting play are what's on the line, exhaustion, rivalry, etc.  There are just some nights when an entire team plays flat.   :)

I'm of the opinion that a good team can win wherever they play, regardless of the crowd.  Maine came #### close to pulling out victory Saturday, and there was nowhere close to a split crowd.  A great crowd however can make a classic game even better, like Saturday's did. ;)

I thought the ME-UNH game was one of the worst games I've seen in years, especially considering what was at stake.  Neither team seemed all that interested in the first and to me Maine seemed to win by default.  Playing in front of mosty non-partisain fans in large arena can have some affect, but i didn't think either team played with any sense of urgency.

Scott - Did you see who called the slash on Haydar in the third?  He will be a WCHA ref next year and Boche is definately out.  Also, it was a game time decision for Pitrowski to do the champ game.  ME was protesting but the NCAA decided having "neutral league" officials was important.

Yes, Schmidt did do the UND/BC game; surprised that it seemed that a referee outside the conference of either team this year was chosen, while last year a WCHA ref did the game.

Thought there was more that could have been called this year than last, but that's beside the point. Schmidt certainly could have boxed Gionta and Orpik several times last year for punches, elbows to the head. But at least he didn't screw up the game with a bunch of phantom calls.

I agree with that statement dagies.  With the NCAA likely to go to a 16 team, 4 regional system next year, there's some debate on the USCHO board about neutral sites ( one guy mentioned a rotation between Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne & Des Moines, yikes!).  I would rather see the Sioux play a playoff game against Minnesota @ Mariucci before 10,000 than at Des Moines before nobody.

As far as the regionals and four sites, according to Hennesey there has been some discussion about the Ralph being one of the sites for next season because of the short amount of time need to determine sites. I think that would be a swell idea. I definately would love to see three playoff games at the end of the season.

I think there is a very good chance at a regional being in Grand Forks next year.  The main competition would come from Mlps/St.P, but it is doubtful that Mariucci or the Xcel will bid for it because the Gophers are already hosting a men's BB regional that same weekend at the Metrodome.  That would be too much of an administrative headache.

Other possibilities could be Grand Rapids (other regional is in Yost, doubtful Michigan would get both), Colorado Springs (already hosting regional in 2004), Omaha (would probably wait until new arena is finished before bidding), Madison (1999 regional at Dane was not well attended), Columbus or Denver.

I think a regional would draw well here, even if the Sioux aren't playing.

If you haven't been to GF since 1987 you remember that the only thing south of 17th Avenue South is Columbia Mall and there is only development for the first three blocks west of Columbia Road once you are south of DeMers.

Trust me, it's not like that any more. The city has grown "a little" :)  to the south and west. It's just about solid development now from Columbia at DeMers out to 32nd Avenue South and I-29 and they are starting to develop south of 32nd Avenue South.

Going south from my old college apartment was nothing but spud and beet fields until you got to Hillsboro. Now, it's a mile to the end of all of the developments.

When big concerts come to the Alerus Center, the town can get a little crowded, but they're working on that.  They are almost finished building another hotel in the southern part of town and Arnot is trying to build a Hiton Garden Inn next to UND and the Alerus Center.

Actually PHE, Hillsboro used to be hated for basketball back in the 80's (darn that 1981 team, if only....).  Now Hillsboro is known as the munchie stop between Fargo and GF - they have a Burger King!!!  The region two team which replaced Hillsboro as most "disliked" is Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg (drat that 2002 team, if only....).  Interesting note: the coach of Hillsboro during the championship years was Eddie Beyer; the current coach at MPCG is his son-in-law and his grandson hit the winning shot/freethrow in the regional finals to send MPCG to state this year!  (yes I'm bitter)