SiouxSports.com Forum

Chris Gomez Home Run

MafiaMan

In the past few years Gomez has OWNED Maholm; batting average: .450, 2 Doubles, 2 HR, 4 RBI, .500 OBP, 1.05 SLG. The Braves and Maholm shouldn't be upset with what Gomez is doing after he hits a HR, they should be more upset with themselves and how they are going to get this guy out. Personally, I have no problem with what Carlos Gomez did. What Maholm did back in June (and in previous years) was total bush league, 90mph fast balls hurt and could potentially injure someone/end their career. Gomez had two options here, he could have charged the mound back in June and settled it than or he could wait and let his play dictate his response, obviously he chose the latter of the two.

So can pitchers start doing cart-wheels after a 1st inning strike-out of someone now too?

Maholm hit Gomez with an 88 MPH fastball on the left knee. Ouch? No doubt. On purpose? C'mon.

So can pitchers start doing cart-wheels after a 1st inning strike-out of someone now too?

Maholm hit Gomez with an 88 MPH fastball on the left knee. Ouch? No doubt. On purpose? C'mon.

The video you posted proves my point even more. If a pitcher can hit the end of a bat that has a circumference of about 5 inches, he has the ability to place the ball wherever he wants to and the way Gomez has owned Maholm (you don't think Maholm knows that Gomez has done well against him), I wouldn't doubt that he hit him on purpose. Like it or not Gomez had every right to show up Maholm and I'm glad he did.

The video you posted proves my point even more. If a pitcher can hit the end of a bat that has a circumference of about 5 inches, he has the ability to place the ball wherever he wants to and the way Gomez has owned Maholm (you don't think Maholm knows that Gomez has done well against him), I wouldn't doubt that he hit him on purpose. Like it or not Gomez had every right to show up Maholm and I'm glad he did.

You're telling me that Matt Cain was AIMING for the end of the Gomez's bat? That's some pinpoint accuracy given that Gomez moved as the ball was coming towards the plate.

Typically when pitchers throw at someone, they aim for the upper arm or their backside. I haven't seen the initial beaning you are referring to however.

I suppose you are also going to tell me that Roger Clemens didn't mean to throw that broken bat at Mike Piazza in the World Series? :silly:

I'm not going to defend Roger and his steroid-rage against Piazza. I've seen that replay100 times...and still have no idea what the hell Clemens was doing.

Typically when pitchers throw at someone, they aim for the upper arm or their backside. I haven't seen the initial beaning you are referring to however.

I'm trying to find that...saw it on MLB Network last night...inside pitch that hit Gomez on the left knee-cap. I didn't think much of it until I saw last night's brew-ha-ha.

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/story/Carlos-Gomez-hit-by-pitch-leads-to-bench?blockID=944355&feedID=5065

Wisconsin's take on things...sounds like Gomez genuinely regrets his actions last night. I'm sure some of the Braves players feel the same way today. Kind of a bummer that the Brewers don't play the Braves again tonight, eh?

Did you ever pitch in your life? Ever? Have you even thrown a baseball? My god what a dumb comment.

Ya, I have pitched and I did play baseball. My comment was more of a sarcastic comment that you didn't understand. If you want to discuss it over a beer I would be more than willing too. Until then comments like yours are unnecessary!

Did you ever pitch in your life? Ever? Have you even thrown a baseball? My god what a dumb comment.

Also, did you read the messages before? That was a reply to a person who thought Maholm didn't throw at Gomez intentionally! My response has been the whole time that a pitcher has total control of where they want to throw it.

Also, did you read the messages before? That was a reply to a person who thought Maholm didn't throw at Gomez intentionally! My response has been the whole time that a pitcher has total control of where they want to throw it.

A) I still don't think Maholm threw at Gomez intentionally. That's Gomez's opinion.

B) If pitchers have "total control" over where they throw a ball, why are there still walks in baseball and why is Miguel Cabrera batting .350?

That being said, I think the Gomez/Maholm issue will be dead after this incident. Gomez got plunked, then he hit a monster home run, end of story.

• Upvote 1

Huh, well that'd be news to most pitchers..... Oh now I get it, they do have control over where they want to throw it, they just don't have total control over where it actually goes.

A) I still don't think Maholm threw at Gomez intentionally. That's Gomez's opinion.

That is also my opinion....Looking over Gomez's hitting stats over the past 4-5 years against Maholm, I could see why Gomez would think he is being intentionally hit.

B) If pitchers have "total control" over where they throw a ball, why are there still walks in baseball and why is Miguel Cabrera batting .345?,

If pitchers don't have control over how they pitch, why does Yu Darvish have 269 katies (avg about 9 k's a game), while only pitching in 204 innings (31 games)?

That being said, I think the Gomez/Maholm issue will be dead after this incident. Gomez got plunked, then he hit a monster home run, end of story.

I will agree with you on this. It is a dead issue, Braves move on and the Brewers go home.

Nolan Ryan averaged over 9 K's a game for his entire CAREER. Yu Darvish couldn't carry his jock. :lol: Now if Nolan hit you with a pitch, I'll agree, you KNEW it was intentional!

He also is the career leader in base on balls, 962 more (over 52%, 2,795 to 1,833) than the next guy. Control wasn't exactly his strong point. But yes, if he wanted to drill you, he would.

Four-man rotations and league leaders > 300 IP. Those were the days...

Yes they were. Remember when 'firemen' came into the game in the 7th or 8th inning of a 1 or 2 run game with nobody out and the bases loaded? Goose Gossage...Dennis Eckersley...yea, those were the days.

Yes they were. Remember when 'firemen' came into the game in the 7th or 8th inning of a 1 or 2 run game with nobody out and the bases loaded? Goose Gossage...Dennis Eckersley...yea, those were the days.

...Bruce Sutter, Rollie Fingers, Dan Quisenberry*...

*funky sidearm delivery