SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

Seeing that the 2012/2013 thread has turned into an OSU love/hate-fest, I figured I'd do everyone a favor and start one for the actual upcoming 2013-2014 season... :)

Good call, Snake. I'll get things started with my picks for conference regular season champions:

Hockey East: UMass-Lowell

WCHA: Minnesota State-Mankato

NCHC: North Dakota

BIg 10: Michigan

ECAC: Union

Atlantic Hockey: Niagara

I think BC gets back to the top of HEA, and I like Miami to win the inaugural NCHC title. I liked MSU-M last year and expect them to be the class is the WCHA. I give MN the slight edge in the B1G. I have no real good take on the other leagues.

Can't wait for the season to start!

Cheat sheet for new conferences

2013-14

Atlantic Hockey (12): Air Force, AIC, Army, Bentley, Canisius, Connecticut, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Robert Morris, RIT, Sacred Heart

Big Ten (6): Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

ECAC Hockey (12): Brown, Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Quinnipiac, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence, Union, Yale

Hockey East (11): Boston College, Boston University, Maine, Massachusetts, UMass Lowell, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Notre Dame, Providence, Vermont

NCHC (8): Colorado College, Denver, Miami, Minnesota Duluth, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Western Michigan

WCHA (10): Alabama-Huntsville, Alaska, Alaska Anchorage, Bemidji State, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota State, Northern Michigan

2014-15

Connecticut will move from Atlantic Hockey to Hockey East.

Nobody's picking UW in the Big Ten? One of the best teams in the nation in the second half last season and they return a lot.

I'm picking UND to win the NCHC. Not sure why but I just don't trust Miami for some reason and I think the Sioux are a bit underrated. I also think Gothberg shows this year why he was so highly touted coming out of the USHL. He's better than what he showed last year.

Nobody's picking UW in the Big Ten? One of the best teams in the nation in the second half last season and they return a lot.

I'm picking UND to win the NCHC. Not sure why but I just don't trust Miami for some reason and I think the Sioux are a bit underrated. I also think Gothberg shows this year why he was so highly touted coming out of the USHL. He's better than what he showed last year.

I wondered the same about the lack of love for UW. Maybe it's because things have been so down in Madison, or at least perceived that way by the fans, that it will take some convincing. I think the momentum they had last year coupled with the conference change will be good for the Badgers.

No lack of love, I think its a toss up (as I think NCHC will be also) between the two and I like minnys class on paper compared to uw but either or could take it home. Michigan will be much better and the other three, well they will get beaten up by whoever.

While UW returns a lot, it seemed much of their success last year was tied to Kerdiles. And he was suspended for the first half of the season. He has yet to go through a full season. Yes, he is a talent but an injury, even a minor one, to Kerdiles seems to have the potential to upset the chemistry. They were one of the worst teams in the country in the first half of the season and they did manage to lose a game to PSU.

While UW returns a lot, it seemed much of their success last year was tied to Kerdiles. And he was suspended for the first half of the season. He has yet to go through a full season. Yes, he is a talent but an injury, even a minor one, to Kerdiles seems to have the potential to upset the chemistry. They were one of the worst teams in the country in the first half of the season and they did manage to lose a game to PSU.

I think the true Wisconsin is the one that played the first half of the season and was ultimately blown out of the building by UMass-Lowell in the first round of the NCAA tournament...

I think the true Wisconsin is the one that played the first half of the season and was ultimately blown out of the building by UMass-Lowell in the first round of the NCAA tournament...

Don't know if they are a top 3 team in the country, but with guys like Barnes, Kerdiles, Labate, Mersch, and Zengerle, they can put some offensive talent out there to complement their sound defense and goaltending. If you put Mersch, Zengerle and Kerdiles together, I don't think you find a much better line, and being a veteran team is certainly going to help in offsetting other teams' young talent. I think Grant Besse could have a nice goal scoring impact with them as a freshman as well. Without MacWilliam, I don't know who we would have to handle Mersch if we had to play against them this year -- he's a beast.