SiouxSports.com Forum

United ending service in GFK

Vegas_Sioux

GF seems destined to take a step back for nearly every step forward. This is a huge blow, and it clearly solidifies the Delta 'must-fly-east-to-go-south-or-west' monopoly, er, stranglehold. Just one more reason to drive to Fargo to fly (American to Chicago and DFW; Frontier to Denver; Delta to SLC). At least we can soon munch on Timbits while en route. Couldn't United at least have maintained token service on a less than daily basis, or is GF literally not worth the trouble?

GF seems destined to take a step back for nearly every step forward. This is a huge blow, and it clearly solidifies the Delta 'must-fly-east-to-go-south-or-west' monopoly, er, stranglehold. Just one more reason to drive to Fargo to fly (American to Chicago and DFW; Frontier to Denver; Delta to SLC). At least we can soon munch on Timbits while en route. Couldn't United at least have maintained token service on a less than daily basis, or is GF literally not worth the trouble?

for the most part the only time the planes were at 50% or greater capacity was when a big sky team came to grand forks (thats only 25 seats) most of the grand forks fliers are upper tier delta medallions so they get all the perks free bags change a ticket on a whim with delta. they can't do that with united so they aren't going to fly united,

• 2 months later...

United failed in GFK so they want to move to Devils Lake

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/279603/

I'm not in the airline industry, so can someone explain that to me? They are going to serve Devils Lake with the same size airplane as they did Grand Forks. If they were losing money in GF, why didn't they try cutting back to one flight per day or only coming every other day of the week or something like that? I flew on United out of GFK about 3 weeks ago. Leaving GF every seat on the 50 passenger plane was full. On the return flight there were 14 people.

Is there any chance of another west bound connection coming to GFK now, like Frontier maybe? Or is it just a dead duck?

I'm not in the airline industry, so can someone explain that to me? They are going to serve Devils Lake with the same size airplane as they did Grand Forks. If they were losing money in GF, why didn't they try cutting back to one flight per day or only coming every other day of the week or something like that? I flew on United out of GFK about 3 weeks ago. Leaving GF every seat on the 50 passenger plane was full. On the return flight there were 14 people.

Is there any chance of another west bound connection coming to GFK now, like Frontier maybe? Or is it just a dead duck?

Devils Lake is closer to the oil boom than Grand Forks so of course it makes sense. (Just kidding, I have nothing.)

Because flying to Devils Lake and Jamestown will get them a bunch of tax dollars in subsidizes so that it would be a hard to lose money. Serving a city with only one arrival and departure does not work. People want options of flight times. For a town of Devils Lake's size it would work though. Does anyone remember how much GF gave United to provide service? Vegas_Sioux was right on the mark for why people fly Delta. As for the flying east to go west thing that is very common all over the country. Flying to Denver to go west vs. flying to Minneapolis to go west time wise really makes no difference. As for Frontier they would want money and provide a limited service, think Allegiant on steroids. Frontier really nickles and dimes people to death. When people book tickets on Frontier through a third party website they overlook bag fees. What happens is that people that book tickets through these sites do not get a free carry-on. They find out at the gate that the carry-on is now going to cost them a $100 dollars. If checked in at the ticket counter when the checked in it is like $20. They are a sleazy operation. Frontier has not been the same since Republic took them over and the CEO use to run Spirit another sleazy airline.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, as delta is pulling the 200s Skywest needs a new home for them until their refleet is finished

Yes DVL with eas in a crj is ridiculous but with out the 30 passenger turbo props anymore it's about the best you can do. DVL did have good loads on delta but they dropped the Saab and that's what started this mess.

Yes, as delta is pulling the 200s Skywest needs a new home for them until their refleet is finished

Yes DVL with eas in a crj is ridiculous but with out the 30 passenger turbo props anymore it's about the best you can do. DVL did have good loads on delta but they dropped the Saab and that's what started this mess.

Thanks Vegas. I thought I had read something about 200's being cut. The numbers were not that good on the Saabs. I have the boarding figures for many years in a file and they were never very good. They were not filling the Saabs and that was bewteen Jamestown and Devils Lake. I am not a fan of the EAS. It is a program that should have went away years ago. In the begining it was a good idea but it was suppose to be short lived, I researched it quite a bit. Do you like to play with Flightaware.com like I do?

• 1 year later...

So, I know this is a really old thread.  As I said, I know next to nothing about how airlines and airports work, and I only fly once or twice a year. 

Right now I'm planning a flight to SFO for this fall.  How is it that Bismarck, Minot, and even Dickinson for heaven's sake can support more than one airline but GFK cannot?  Every article I read seems to indicate that GFK has more boardings than any of those three.

I would really prefer to connect in Denver rather than MPLS and avoid the stupid one hour flight to the cities.  I live about the same distance from GFK as I do from Hector so it is really no skin off my back either way, I'm just a Grand Forks guy that would prefer to support GFK if possible.  But it wouldn't make much sense the way things are looking.  I know it doesn't really matter where I change planes, it just breaks up the trip a little nicer to change in Denver for this trip especially with young kids in tow.

I just don't see how United (or any other second airline) can profit in Dickinson but not GF.

• Upvote 3