SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics High Performance Center

GeauxSioux

UND breaks ground for UND Athletics High Performance Center Thursday, Sept. 5 -

The University of North Dakota will hold groundbreaking ceremonies for Phase I of the $13 million UND Athletics High Performance Center Thursday, Sept. 5, 1:30 p.m., at the UND Practice Field South (south of Memorial Stadium). Parking is available in the UND lot on Second Avenue North, just north of Memorial Stadium

Phase 1:

• 196,500 total square feet featuring a 100-yard football field and a 300-meter NCAA regulation track with eight 42″ lanes
  • Spectator seating for approximately 1,500
  • Separate 20-yard artificial turf lineman workout area
  • Separate field events area
  • 60 foot clear height for kicking and punting
  • Videotaping tower locations for performance recording
  • Warmup/Walking Track
  • Observation Area

Phase 2:
    Plans include:

• Sports Medicine & Athletic Training Center
    • Academic Center
    • Class & Meeting Rooms
    • Locker rooms and coaches offices
    • Weight Room
    • Cardio Training
    • Hall of Fame Lobby
    • Concessions

Updated video with more interior detail, but Phase II is no longer on it. Are changes afoot....?

Not sure if this is the reason or not, but they have to be somewhat careful with the appearance of the IPF all being one project. State law requires the funding for the entire project to be in place or committed prior to beginning the project, which is one of the reasons the IPF was split into 2 phases to begin with.

There are also some updated pictures on the ICON website.

The two-tone lane colors are sweet. Elevated warm-up track will be extremely useful for track meets.

Anyone know if the field level is below street-level?

Love the two-tone as well. Is that 2nd story just a 2-lane warm-up track? Was hoping there would be seating in the 2nd level, better view of the whole place when events are going on.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure they have some sight prep done but they will wait to start pouring until this spring. Technically, you can pour concrete in the winter but unless you do everything right as far as keeping temperatures where they need to be you can screw up concrete pretty badly. Probably better that they are just waiting until the spring to hit it hard and make sure the job is done right the first time.

I'm sure they have some sight prep done but they will wait to start pouring until this spring. Technically, you can pour concrete in the winter but unless you do everything right as far as keeping temperatures where they need to be you can screw up concrete pretty badly. Probably better that they are just waiting until the spring to hit it hard and make sure the job is done right the first time.

It also costs a lot more to do the site work and concrete work during the winter.

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen much work going on around the site, how do they expect this to be done by fall?

My guess is that they are waiting for the frost to go out. Then they can pour concrete. I don't think it is a very complex building, not like the Med School, so it won't take a really long time to build.

My guess is that they are waiting for the frost to go out. Then they can pour concrete. I don't think it is a very complex building, not like the Med School, so it won't take a really long time to build.

Plus this thing is in 2 phases. The football field etc, is phase 1 and the locker rooms etc, is phase 2. I don't think all of it will be done by fall...maybe just phase 1.

Plus this thing is in 2 phases. The football field etc, is phase 1 and the locker rooms etc, is phase 2. I don't think all of it will be done by fall...maybe just phase 1.

Although the new locker rooms, coaches offices, and meeting rooms will be huge (take a look at NDSU's meeting and coaching facilities), having the indoor practice field will be equally as huge for next winter and spring. I'm looking forward to the phase I completion this summer/fall.

Although the new locker rooms, coaches offices, and meeting rooms will be huge (take a look at NDSU's meeting and coaching facilities), having the indoor practice field will be equally as huge for next winter and spring. I'm looking forward to the phase I completion this summer/fall.

Phase 1 will be a huge win against next winters snow and temps. Things are looking good for UND football.