SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

Looks like its Cole Stefan, a 6-4 guard transfer from Wis.-GreenBay.

Wow. UND Basketball and Tom Miller tweet confirms it. He also said it was a long-rumored addition, which is a little strange since I had not seen anything prior to this? Played one season at LaSalle and left to Wis-GB for health reasons (concussions). Was one of 5 players to leave W-GB this season between February and May (coach issues). Was class of 2010, assume he sat out a year after transferring to W-GB. Could be wrong, but does he sit out this year and only have one year of eligibility left?

Out of HS he had offers from Auburn, Drake, Illinois St, W-Milwaukee, Nevada, UNI, Tulsa, USC and Utah St per his Yahoo page.

Is that who that is. Kid was a shooter in high school and I believe his 1st year at La Salle. Not sure if the NCAA would allow him to be elgible on transfer right away or not. I suppose it is possible considering the mess that was going on earlier this year at, UW Green Bay. But I'm not going to hold my breath knowing how the Nash thing played out. I will never understand why a Coach can up an leave a program but a player has to go through all sorts of hoops to transfer schools when dealing with the NCAA.

Did he medical redshirt after his concussion? If he did, would it mean he could redshirt again?

Not normally. A second, medical redshirt is usually only given as a last resort if the player has to miss a Junior or Senior year after using his regular redshirt year at the beginning of his career. Medical redshirts are not given to everyone, especially at the DI level. In this case, I would only see him getting another redshirt year if he was injured.

Did he medical redshirt after his concussion? If he did, would it mean he could redshirt again?

Not likely since the 2nd year he's sitting out won't be a medical issue. To get the 6th year of eligibility (which can be denied), typically 2 seasons need to be lost to injury. His hope might be that they give him a waiver this year due to the coaching mess that was going on at Wis-GB but I wouldn't count on that either.

Not likely since the 2nd year he's sitting out won't be a medical issue. To get the 6th year of eligibility (which can be denied), typically 2 seasons need to be lost to injury. His hope might be that they give him a waiver this year due to the coaching mess that was going on at Wis-GB but I wouldn't count on that either.

At Rutgers they allowed everyone to transfer and play immediately but since this coach at UW-Green Bay still kept his job...I have no idea how that will turn out. I don't typically believe in personally vendettas but last years Nash situation really made it seem like the NCAA had one against us. Of course South Dakota State's transfer, the delinquent from Florida gets to play right away...I'm not sure but that may have been because he was kicked off the team and had his scholarship pulled, but that is just a guess as to why he gets to suit up for the Jacks immediately.

At Rutgers they allowed everyone to transfer and play immediately but since this coach at UW-Green Bay still kept his job...I have no idea how that will turn out. I don't typically believe in personally vendettas but last years Nash situation really made it seem like the NCAA had one against us. Of course South Dakota State's transfer, the delinquent from Florida gets to play right away...I'm not sure but that may have been because he was kicked off the team and had his scholarship pulled, but that is just a guess as to why he gets to suit up for the Jacks immediately.

Consistently inconsistent.

I do agree since the coach kept his job it doesn't help the matters. That is assuming that he is even applying for a waiver, though I can't imagine he wouldn't. Wonder how/what the current scholarship make-up of the team is.

I believe there is another transfer (a talented kid) on campus that may or may not be eligible to play this year. Why doesn't someone in GF ask some questions and see if details can be provided?

I remain confused why it took so long for this to be announced!

We have petitioned for him to be eligible immediately. I have no idea how likely it is to be approved or how soon the decision is expected to be made. It would sure be nice to have him available this year -- a great shooter from the outside would certainly be welcome. The kid has talent - was the 6th man on the LaSalle team that went to the Sweet Sixteen.

what do you want me to say?

we got the battle of the doormats in the BSC this weekend...

TV coverage for hockey sucks this year

but I am looking fwd to mens ball...hope they don't disappoint

anything less then BSC title gam is a disappoint ment

all poker chips on the table this weekend

I remain confused why it took so long for this to be announced!

We have petitioned for him to be eligible immediately. I have no idea how likely it is to be approved or how soon the decision is expected to be made. It would sure be nice to have him available this year -- a great shooter from the outside would certainly be welcome. The kid has talent - was the 6th man on the LaSalle team that went to the Sweet Sixteen.

I guess I'm not sure why we need to worry about when it was announced? They don't even know if he can play this year. I always feel privileged when they share information, but I don't worry about it when they don't, or to even worry about the timing of when it was or wasn't released. I have too many other things going on in life to sweat it.

In regards to the 3 schools part... good question? That too, is tough to read into, as it could be for a variety of reasons. Strictly hypothetical, let's say that as a high school player that the allure of playing in Philly and the A10 would have appealed to a young guy...but maybe he decides he wants to be a closer to home. See's UW-Green Bay see's that its in a pretty good league and that it's not home but it's pretty close that the family can get to it a little easier...then he has to endure a bad coaching situation (basically what I gleaned from reading the accounts earlier this spring) and bang your at UND. It could be as simple as that or it could be more complicated. I hope UND proves to be a good fit for Cole. I hope he and his game succeeds here and I hope he gets what he wants out of his education here.

Three schools in 4 years. Makes you wonder why..

Had concussion issues at LaSalle and went to UW-GB to be closer to home. Originally from Minnetonka, not a lot of D-1 options to choose from close to home. There were some serious coach issues at UW-GB, 5 players left the team between January and May this year. Maybe more to it and it does seem to raise some flags, but there is nothing that shows he was a problem player. Hopefully he is eligible this year and UND can add another shooter to the mix.

Also, I think we might have a closer game with Wisconsin and Oregon than most people will think... Most of the time when upsets occur it seems they are beat by teams that have played together for 3-4 years and have a pretty deep bench, just saying... They are both in the top 25 coming into this season, so beating one of them would be huge for the program (this is just my mid being very hopeful to make up for this football season)

Very excited for this season. Coach Jones has done a great job compiling a talented and deep roster and even adding experienced coaches such as Jason Shay. I feel this team has the potential to win the Big Sky regular season, host the conference tournament (which would be spectacular!), and even punch a ticket to the big dance! Should be a fun season with the experience of this roster.

Very excited for this season. Coach Jones has done a great job compiling a talented and deep roster and even adding experienced coaches such as Jason Shay. I feel this team has the potential to win the Big Sky regular season, host the conference tournament (which would be spectacular!), and even punch a ticket to the big dance! Should be a fun season with the experience of this roster.

I know he was on the Tennessee staff...but it wasn't like he was the associate head coach. He has also served as a head coach at a juco. All in all, I don't know that we need to unnecessarily build him up to something unbelievable. I think Coach Shay sounds like a good coach who hopefully will add some more positives to a program that I believe has been heading in the right direction. Again, I think this was a solid staff prior to Shay's arrival and I'm sure he will be a positive for this season. What will make the difference to this years success is if we are a tight knit team who play great basketball. Looking at our roster, I would say that we would have the potential to do that. I'm just not sure what appears to be as an over infatuation with Coach Shay, on this site, by some is about, when really he just got here. I'm all for the arrival of Coach Shay to the staff...but the difference makers this year will be by those on the court.

I know he was on the Tennessee staff...but it wasn't like he was the associate head coach. He has also served as a head coach at a juco. All in all, I don't know that we need to unnecessarily build him up to something unbelievable. I think Coach Shay sounds like a good coach who hopefully will add some more positives to a program that I believe has been heading in the right direction. Again, I think this was a solid staff prior to Shay's arrival and I'm sure he will be a positive for this season. What will make the difference to this years success is if we are a tight knit team who play great basketball. Looking at our roster, I would say that we would have the potential to do that. I'm just not sure what appears to be as an over infatuation with Coach Shay, on this site, by some is about, when really he just got here. I'm all for the arrival of Coach Shay to the staff...but the difference makers this year will be by those on the court.

Yes, for this season the seniors will make the greatest difference, but Shay will affect recruiting and player development, so he will most likely have an impact on future season. He mentored under Bruce Pearl, who in my opinion is a good coach, and he has experience in the SEC and Big Ten (played at Iowa). He should definitely help establish good recruiting connections if he stays past this season.