SiouxSports.com Forum

Dacotah Legacy Collection

jdub27

UND launches new Dacotah Legacy Collection

The University of North Dakota Athletics Department announced today the launch of the Dacotah Legacy Collection , a limited edition line of commemorative apparel, collectibles and memorabilia that celebrates the history and tradition of UND Athletics.

The first edition of the Dacotah Legacy Collection will go on sale Tuesday, Aug. 20, and will be sold exclusively at Scheels All Sports in Grand Forks and at the Sioux Shop at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Additional items will be selected for production on a recurring basis and will be made available at the discretion of retail outlets after being purchased from licensed manufacturers.

The University of North Dakota is required by its 2007 settlement agreement with the NCAA to protect certain University trademarks. All manufacturers for the Dacotah Legacy Collection will be selected through Licensing Resource Group (LRG), UND’s licensing partner. Licensees with specific experience designing “throwback” or “legacy” collection items will be given consideration by LRG.

I see these being real popular. Here is the first item. Sounds like it may be sold out at the Sioux Shop already.

994573_10151772763964284_1749876693_n.jpg

No, this is UND following the NCAA settlement and protecting the its trademarks. ScottM can explain better, but basically, to protect the trademark, UND has to periodically use it in public commerce. Hence, we'll see retro gear marketed from time to time.

No, this is UND following the NCAA settlement and protecting the its trademarks. ScottM can explain better, but basically, to protect the trademark, UND has to periodically use it in public commerce. Hence, we'll see retro gear marketed from time to time.

tSic is correct, this is UND following the settlement with the NCAA. A lot of outlets still have the regular Fighting Sioux merchandise because they loaded up before the deadline, so I doubt that sales are down significantly. They may be down a little bit from the past couple of years just because of the huge rush of sales as the nickname was discontinued. But this is actually going to be a nice little bump in merchandise sales for UND periodically.

Technically the Geometric Sioux on the new tee shirt is pointing the incorrect way. The logo is suppose to face to the left as you are looking at it. The preferred method of use, per trademark, was to face left, as it was used on the hockey jerseys and the Championship banners. I know that UND did not enforce this or did not really seem to care and had it facing both ways on a variety of products.

UND started caring when the new Ben Brien Siouxhead was adopted, then the proper use was to face to the left.

Technically the Geometric Sioux on the new tee shirt is pointing the incorrect way. The logo is suppose to face to the left as you are looking at it. The preferred method of use, per trademark, was to face left, as it was used on the hockey jerseys and the Championship banners. I know that UND did not enforce this or did not really seem to care and had it facing both ways on a variety of products.

UND started caring when the new Ben Brien Siouxhead was adopted, then the proper use was to face to the left.

First thing i thought when I saw the pic above..."hey, the head is facing the WRONG way!".

This tells me sales of new "UND" stuff are way down

If that were the case (it is not), they would have made more than 100 of these shirts. This won't even be a blip in terms of effect on the sales of merchandise. As other said, and was specifically stated in the release, they need to occasionally use the logos in order to retain licensing control over them.

They spelled Dakota wrong.

Not sure if you were serious or not, but for those that didn't read the release:

"The word ‘Dacotah’ and its font are a tribute to the Dacotah Annual, the University of North Dakota’s annual yearbook."

If that were the case (it is not), they would have made more than 100 of these shirts. This won't even be a blip in terms of effect on the sales of merchandise. As other said, and was specifically stated in the release, they need to occasionally use the logos in order to retain licensing control over them.

Not sure if you were serious or not, but for those that didn't read the release:

"The word ‘Dacotah’ and its font are a tribute to the Dacotah Annual, the University of North Dakota’s annual yearbook."

Not serious, but it has always been a pet peeve of mine when Dakota is spelled a different way, or for that matter, when any word is spelled differently to make it seem cooler. See: trendy restaurants and stores for an example.

Did they really only make 100 of these? If so, are all items they release in the collection going to be this limited? Might be pretty tough to get your hands in some of the items.

So, it looks like an occasional limited release in order to maintain the copyright of the logos. Limited to keep the NCAA happy in both maintaining the copyright of the images and not have too many out in the street to keep the appearance of political correctness in not promoting the Sioux nickname.

God, the NCAA sucks...

• Upvote 4

So, it looks like an occasional limited release in order to maintain the copyright of the logos. Limited to keep the NCAA happy in both maintaining the copyright of the images and not have too many out in the street to keep the appearance of political correctness in not promoting the Sioux nickname.

God, the NCAA sucks...

You just said exactly what I was thinking. Makes a fella sick to his stomach.

Does that make you sick or between 17-24 months from now UND will have a new logo, and nickname.

It's the whole process, this transition stage, the periodic release of the supposedly "hostile and abusive" logo and nickname to maintain its ownership, and the fact that UND will have a new nickname soon.

NCAA: You must get rid of this evil logo and nickname or you are done for.

UND: Ok

NCAA: However, please periodically use this evil logo and nickname on university sanctioned athletic wear so that others may not use it in the future.

UND: Ok?

It's the whole process, this transition stage, the periodic release of the supposedly "hostile and abusive" logo and nickname to maintain its ownership, and the fact that UND will have a new nickname soon.

NCAA: You must get rid of this evil logo and nickname or you are done for.

UND: Ok

NCAA: However, please periodically use this evil logo and nickname on university sanctioned athletic wear so that others may not use it in the future.

UND: Ok?

Because even the NCAA knows how much money that Indian logo made for them (I mean the school), and any replacement logo isn't going to make much to even come close. How many people actually went out and bought ND hockey jerseys without the logo...can't be too many.

Because even the NCAA knows how much money that Indian logo made for them (I mean the school), and any replacement logo isn't going to make much to even come close. How many people actually went out and bought ND hockey jerseys without the logo...can't be too many.

Sales of new merchandise obviously hinge on selecting a name and logo that looks good and people like. Given that happens, I think that you will see plenty of people wearing the new merchandise. It may take a few years, but people will soon realize that we need to support UND athletics no matter what they are called.

Sales of new merchandise obviously hinge on selecting a name and logo that looks good and people like. Given that happens, I think that you will see plenty of people wearing the new merchandise. It may take a few years, but people will soon realize that we need to support UND athletics no matter what they are called.

I will buy it, but will ALWAYS have my Sioux gear, as there was no other team with a unique name and logo. I still have a jacket and a shirt that says Grand Forks Central Redskins...will support the Knights but will always love the Redskins.

Did they really only make 100 of these? If so, are all items they release in the collection going to be this limited? Might be pretty tough to get your hands in some of the items.

I don't have anything to prove it, but that is what I was told by a pretty reliable source. The Sioux Shop sold out in a day or two and I think Scheels is sold out as well.

Price?

$29. High but the same price as the other T-shirts at the Ralph.

I think most people absolutely will move on, we have to, it is essential that we do. It is the fact that we are in this situation in the first place that grinds our gears.

I think most people absolutely will move on, we have to, it is essential that we do. It is the fact that we are in this situation in the first place that grinds our gears.

I agree.

I'll probably even buy the new gear, provided that the name doesn't totally suck... But, I have enough Sioux gear for life. And then some... :lol: