SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

The daily newspapers in Mobile, Huntsville, Birmingham, and New Orleans were reduced to publishing three times a week early in this decade.  That was a huge blow to readers, especially the elderly.  The Herald is now too much of a Washington Post reprint.  Financial newspapers have more real pertinent news and comment anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Same could be said with lots of newspapers around the country. Including the Minot Daily and Bismarck Tribune.

Absolutely.  Outside of fluffy local pieces it's all the same outdated news and syndicated columns.  They could just as easily have the "Dakota Forum or Dakota Tribune" for the whole state.  I suppose it's more profitable to market under the different names for each town.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:21 PM, Cratter said:

Krampade is moving from Lincoln, NE to Grand Forks.

According to their website it was used by UND hockey during the championship games...

http://krampade.com/our-story/

Appears to be a family business with a UND professor as the CEO...

http://krampade.com/our-story/our-team/

Krampade will be manufacturing and packaging at the GF industrial park.  About 11 new jobs will be created.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/business/4475439-krampade-locate-expand-business-operations-grand-forks-industrial-park

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

(diligently prays for perpetual southerly breezes)

Seriously, though, why can't people locate facilities like this a bit further out of town?  The QoL in Grand Forks is greatly curtailed by the proximity of Simplot and Crystal Sugar as it is.  Does anyone think the combination of stinky potatoes with beet waste processing carried over the prevailing winds will be pleasant?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

(diligently prays for perpetual southerly breezes)

Seriously, though, why can't people locate facilities like this a bit further out of town?  The QoL in Grand Forks is greatly curtailed by the proximity of Simplot and Crystal Sugar as it is.  Does anyone think the combination of stinky potatoes with beet waste processing carried over the prevailing winds will be pleasant?

Sincerely hope their fermenting reactors are covered so there aren’t constantly emitting an odor.  Most sanitary treatment plants with biodigesters are covered, but their is odor anyway when the remaining junk (good compost) are taken out.  But even the fresh beet tailing and potato peelings smell.  If it the only residual odor is ethanol, that would be bad, but doubt that the case.

Crystal in Moorhead and Fargo's sanitary plant have both undertaken advanced means to control the olfactory offending offerings they emit. Too bad Fargo put the city dump on the NW corner of the city. Wow can that be 'ripe' at times. 

Crystal in EGF should be pushed to the same. I don't mind Simplot on the days it smells like fries. And the pasta plant just north of Simplot isn't an offender; it smells like macaroni. 

However, the worst I've driven through lately? Jamestown. I-94. East edge of town. Lagoons. 95 degree day. Mild south breeze. Severely unpleasant. 

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Crystal in Moorhead and Fargo's sanitary plant have both undertaken advanced means to 

However, the worst I've driven through lately? Jamestown. I-94. East edge of town. Lagoons. 95 degree day. Mild south breeze. Severely unpleasant. 

I will pray for you. That can be gnarly.

Go Jays!

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Too bad Fargo put the city dump on the NW corner of the city. Wow can that be 'ripe' at times. 

You hit the worst 2. 

Jamestown lagoons on 94 and....

The bumfuckyest, idiotic, moronic, NDSUGrad idea (obviously), abomination of planning is the dump facility on the NW side of Fargo.

Good lord that putrid dank rotten nastiness is what returns to mind when I even think about Fargo.  The entire 45th corridor is avoided at all costs when the NW wind blows.... only like 97% of the time in ND....  

Compared to that stank pile, simplot and beet plants just smell like sweet sweet money. I'd even settle for the pig and cow barns wafting over campus at NDSU over that rancid dump anyday. 

Somebody bookmark this and we'll follow up in a couple years.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/business/agriculture/4489259-grand-forks-biorefinery-project-breaks-ground

The biorefinery will have the lowest carbon footprint in the U.S. for a ethanol production facility of its kind, Chmielewski said, adding it will not produce odors from processing sugar beet waste.

In addition to relishing the fact that someone obviously reads SS.com, I will take particular delight in asking these folks to kindly explain to Crystal Sugar that it's past time to do something about the lagoons at their beet plants.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Pet Smart just opened up in a strip mall next to Columbia Mall.  Along with Petco, do you thing GF can support another Pet supply store?

Forgot that that old strip mall got filled including Pet Smart.  But the Macy’s was sold at such a cheap price that the owners can make money at low rents.  The main Columbia Mall had substantial rents while the anchors own their own space.