SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

On 6/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, Cratter said:

If Fargo raises their minimum wage, will Grand Forks have no option but to follow?

GF could soon have a $12 minimum wage.

If you want GF to be the next stop on the McDonald’s labor automation tour by all means go ahead.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

What happened to the big fertilizer plant that was to come to GF using Bakken oil oil ?

With the problems getting urea out of the cities this spring I could see the plant get a little more pressure.  I believe there needs to be a little more pricing adjustment for it to pan out.  Definitely still in discussions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone hear buzz on Costco coming to Grand Forks?  On Costco.com if you put zip code 58201 in on Insta Cart for 1-hour grocery delivery it says coming to 58201 soon.  Is that just delivery, or Costco itself?  Would think the old Macy’s would be perfect for Costco because they would have room for gas station in parking lot.

40 minutes ago, tnt said:

Anyone hear buzz on Costco coming to Grand Forks?  On Costco.com if you put zip code 58201 in on Insta Cart for 1-hour grocery delivery it says coming to 58201 soon.  Is that just delivery, or Costco itself?  Would think the old Macy’s would be perfect for Costco because they would have room for gas station in parking lot.

Hornbachers uses Instacart for their delivery. Not sure if related. 

10 hours ago, northernraider said:

Hornbachers uses Instacart for their delivery. Not sure if related. 

Might just be Instacart for Hornbachers.  You would think there would have been some rumblings if Costco was coming soon.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:42 PM, tnt said:

Interesting. I put in Jamestown and Bismarck and got the "sorry" message.

GF isn't "1 hour" but same day, isn't it? West Fargo location would work for that. 

Costco has owned dirt in Bismarck longer than the West Fargo location has been open. 

39 minutes ago, Cratter said:

No more printed Grand Forks Herald on Mondays. Online Only.

Thus, 

Feels like when WDAY started to take over WDAZ.

The end game is clear.

At some point in the future, the Grand Forks Herald will be shut down and dissolved.

Current Heraldo subscribers will be offered a Fargo Forum subscription, probably a six month "free trial" period to suck people in.

UND sports coverage will drop to almost zero and everyone will be subjected to Bison, Bison, Bison 24/7/365. People will soon forget UND has an athletic department.

I can tell you this right now: I will never, ever, subscribe to the Fargo Forum. I don't care how many free months they offer.

But I suppose all the newly minted Bison fans in Grand Forks will be okay with it. :silly::angry:

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Current Heraldo subscribers will be offered a Fargo Forum subscription, probably a six month "free trial" period to suck people in.

But at least they'll change their name to the Valley Forum to accurately describe their new market....or maybe rename Grand Forks to Grand Fargo.

With the Forum recently selling the Herald building, I can see them wanting the staff to work from home or Fargo in the not-to-distant future.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I read the paper at work and most days, there is zero substance. Seems there has to be enough happening in the Red River Valley to fill a decent paper, but it comes down to having reporters to get these stories. Sadly, reporters cost money that GFH cant sustain. 

But I imagine the Fargo Forum remains as fat as ever.

Thus my theory of what is coming.

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But I imagine the Fargo Forum remains as fat as ever.

Thus my theory of what is coming.

Not really.  All the ND papers are pretty scant.  Being owned by the same company it would make sense to consolidate.  The Forum has plenty of UND sports coverage.  I don't see how a consolidation would have any impact on UND.  At least 90% of the current content of the 2 papers has to be the same already.