SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

7 hours ago, northernraider said:

Hard to believe GFK will not be hurt by such a large loss in landing fee revenue.  

Remember reading in local business mag that a loss of FedEx would cause a big drop in landing fees.

Fargo has that longer runway because of the presences of the Air National Guard, I believe.

22 hours ago, KEH said:

I am thinking this had something to do with it, FedEx started using A300's and with shipping demand going up they probably wanted to fly in bigger planes but unfortunately GFK can't handle them. And the geniuses that decided to wedge an airport between sewage ponds and Highway 2 60 years ago made it so they couldn't extend the runway.

FAR Runway 18/36

Dimensions:  9001 x 150 ft. / 2744 x 46 m

GFK Runway 17R/35L

Dimensions: 

7351 x 150 ft. / 2241 x 46

Sewage ponds aren't the problem 35L can expand north the big problem is only 1 ILS. 

1 hour ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Sewage ponds aren't the problem 35L can expand north the big problem is only 1 ILS. 

I see, I thought the FAA had issues with the birds from the landfill and the ponds. my mistake

26 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A new study by www.citylab.com shows that Grand Forks in now 10th in per capita venture capital funding.

That puts Grand Forks in the same league as Austin, Raleigh,  San Diego and Seattle, which is tremendous. 

The UAVS park can be thanked.

The key word is "per capita".  While this a good rating for the greater GF area, it is no where near the other cities mentioned with their 3 million plus populations.

40 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

The key word is "per capita".  While this a good rating for the greater GF area, it is no where near the other cities mentioned with their 3 million plus populations.

Ames, Iowa City, Fargo, Madison, Lawrence, Manhattan (KS), East Lansing, and others were well below and out of our league.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3930076-east-grand-forks-southern-end-seen-prime-growth-area

There's not a "Duh" big enough for this statement:

A mention?  EGF will NEVER experience meaningful growth until it is connected to the economic heart of GFK (i.e., 32nd Ave. and, increasingly, points south).  Which kind of begs the question…with seemingly nobody being able to agree on the southern bypass along Merrifield and into MN, which mythical Red River bridge project happens first?

The bridges in GF over the Red are what, all within 1.5 miles max or so of each other and near downtown GF?  The newest one being built approx 50 years ago (Point Bridge) I think?  But 50 years ago there were hardly any folks residing outside that 1.5 mile length (I suppose south to maybe 17th Ave at most?).  With south development in GF having extended way beyond 17th Ave in the last 25 - 35 years there needs to be a more southern bridge say at 32nd or even further south with the future in mind.  I live on the Point and to get to 32nd shopping area it's damn near a 15 min drive (yeah, I'm whining!) to get there for just a short distance as the "crow flies".  Yes, traffic at 32nd or where ever would increase but traffic flow in the residential area of GF near the Point Bridge is quite busy and I'm sure those folks wouldn't mind some relief. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/4005749-our-opinion-grand-forks-housing-prices-threaten-uas-growth

So, city officials must work tirelessly to encourage home and apartment construction, especially by removing any policy obstacles that now stand in developers' way.

At last report, apartment construction had far outpaced demand (as any resident can attest merely by driving around town), and there were emphatic calls to scale it back. Does the GF Herald editorial board even believe the crap it puts out?

6 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/4005749-our-opinion-grand-forks-housing-prices-threaten-uas-growth

At last report, apartment construction had far outpaced demand (as any resident can attest merely by driving around town), and there were emphatic calls to scale it back. Does the GF Herald editorial board even believe the crap it puts out?

Rental rates are still higher than Fargo's.  More housing wouldn't hurt.  If/when the fertilizer plant gets funding and begins construction, there won't be excess housing.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:09 PM, GDPritch said:

The bridges in GF over the Red are what, all within 1.5 miles max or so of each other and near downtown GF?  The newest one being built approx 50 years ago (Point Bridge) I think?  But 50 years ago there were hardly any folks residing outside that 1.5 mile length (I suppose south to maybe 17th Ave at most?).  With south development in GF having extended way beyond 17th Ave in the last 25 - 35 years there needs to be a more southern bridge say at 32nd or even further south with the future in mind.  I live on the Point and to get to 32nd shopping area it's damn near a 15 min drive (yeah, I'm whining!) to get there for just a short distance as the "crow flies".  Yes, traffic at 32nd or where ever would increase but traffic flow in the residential area of GF near the Point Bridge is quite busy and I'm sure those folks wouldn't mind some relief. 

If they put a bridge from 32nd Ave S to 190th St SW, I would be dancin' Nancies. Not as good, but even 47th to 200 would work if you wanted to diffuse some traffic from 32nd.

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

Padron Chile has now closed in Grand Forks after being open for less than a year. I admit being late eating there, but really enjoyed my visit a few weeks ago. Any takers on opening a Vinyl Taco type of establishment? 

That location is doomed. Ingress/Egress routes suck. 

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

Padron Chile has now closed in Grand Forks after being open for less than a year. I admit being late eating there, but really enjoyed my visit a few weeks ago. Any takers on opening a Vinyl Taco type of establishment? 

It was open less than 6 months. It must have been failing spectacularly to close in less than 6 months.

15 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

How long ago did  the Albatross fold?

I don't know, I didn't even ever hear about the place and never went. I love Suite 49 when that was there, but not a good location except for game days and I think that type of restaurant was a little too soon for Grand Forks' Marilyn Hagerty tastes.