SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

I love that I get bashed as a bison fan for saying something positive about the football team. Hayduke takes a !@#$ over the entire athletic program and no big deal.

also if you were literate you would notice i was comparing BCS football to the NHL, and the FCS to NCAA hockey.

What I do is speak the truth. Let's go over it.

D-II, FCS (or I-AA) is not the highest level of college athletics. It's a fact that the athletes know. When the D-II or FCS team wins a national championship it is an accomplishment, but not at the highest level. They don't say, "We're the best football team in the country all divisions not withstanding!" They accept they are the best at their division, but not the best of ALL the football teams in college football. That's reserved for the FBS champion, for example, the Alabama Crimson Tide the past two years.

To think otherwise is delusional and...stupid. The athletes seem to be aware of this fact. However, the raving idiots on buffaloville (and some here it seems) don't.

Now, UND men's hockey has competed at the highest level of college athletics for almost 70 years. They didn't duck out by staying D-II or I-AA or whatever they want to call it. They put their asses on the line for almost 70 years and reaped the benefit of seven national championships at the highest level of college athletics. So, at the highest level of college athletics UND has won seven national championships and very, very reasonably will win more due the strength fo their program. The University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences has never, ever won a national athletic championship at the highest level of that sport, and quite frankly never will.

Those are hard, cold facts.

If you don't like it, tough. Live in fantasyland if you prefer.

Myself, I choose to remain realistic and sober. Not drunk and stupid like the delusional lot at the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.

Not so much. The lowest rated game drew almost 4x the viewers this year and highest was over 7x the viewers.

This year was also the most watched series ever or damn close to it, and nearly doubled the average ratings. On average, the SCF averages about double the ratings of the FCS playoffs.

D-II, FCS (or I-AA) is not the highest level of college athletics. It's a fact that the athletes know. When the D-II or FCS team wins a national championship it is an accomplishment, but not at the highest level. They don't say, "We're the best football team in the country all divisions not withstanding!" They accept they are the best at their division, but not the best of ALL the football teams in college football. That's reserved for the FBS champion, for example, the Alabama Crimson Tide the past two years.

To think otherwise is delusional and...stupid. The athletes seem to be aware of this fact. However, the raving idiots on buffaloville (and some here it seems) don't.

Now, UND men's hockey has competed at the highest level of college athletics for almost 70 years. They didn't duck out by staying D-II or I-AA or whatever they want to call it. They put their asses on the line for almost 70 years and reaped the benefit of seven national championships at the highest level of college athletics. So, at the highest level of college athletics UND has won seven national championships and very, very reasonably will win more due the strength fo their program. The University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences has never, ever won a national athletic championship at the highest level of that sport, and quite frankly never will.

Myself, I choose to remain realistic and sober. Not drunk and stupid like the delusional lot at the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.

UND hockey maybe compete at the highest level of collegiate hockey, but it is not the highest level of amateur hockey and hockey in general features a lower caliber of athlete than football, and in our own institution features a lower caliber of athlete.

• Upvote 1

UND hockey maybe compete at the highest level of collegiate hockey, but it is not the highest level of amateur hockey and hockey in general features a lower caliber of athlete than football, and in our own institution features a lower caliber of athlete.

Just curious.....what exactly is your definition of "athlete"?

It is the highest level of college athletics. That is a fact.

If you don't think they are athletes at the same level as football players, check out the names of UND athletes on the Stanley Cup. If that doesn't convince you, I think you should have run into Jim Archibald at the Antique one fine evening and told him that.

The result would have made me laugh and laugh. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Nice last ditch effort to save face.

On any given year there are a minimum of 60 and maximum of 105 playoff games in the NHL.

You are out of your league on this one

I am not the one who said anything about hockey ratings vs. FCS ratings. I am referring more to the fact a professional league featuring very well compensated athletes doesn't get very good ratings for its championship.

EDIT: Should be noted I caught a few of the games.

This year was also the most watched series ever or damn close to it, and nearly doubled the average ratings. On average, the SCF averages about double the ratings of the FCS playoffs.

Doubled the average ratings.....with a former fighting Sioux as the captain of the Stanley cup champs. Jealous?

_cup600.jpg

7>0

Nuff said... (Unless you're a grad of Home Ec Tech...)

22>4

Nuff said (22 National tiles for NDSU versus 4 National titles for UND in sports that the two schools compete in).

And yes Hayduke, the 7 National titles the UND hockey team is a great accomplishment.

And yes Hayduke, the 7 National titles the UND hockey team is a great accomplishment.

You forgot to mention they were done at the highest level of college sports. Something that will never be done by the University of Agriculture, Applied Sciences and Home Economics.

Thank you for making the same point for the 100th time!!! Highest level, delusional, blah blah, blah. Quit coming on to multiple threads and making the same point. We all know how you feel about NCAA hockey and FCS football. Move on and let this thread get back to the topic at hand. If you want to discuss FCS not being the highest level of competition for college football, start your own thread and discuss it there. Quit hijacking every thread on this site and making the same point over and over and over and over and over again. I am serious. It is getting annoying.

• Upvote 3

Thank you for making the same point for the 100th time!!! Highest level, delusional, blah blah, blah. Quit coming on to multiple threads and making the same point. We all know how you feel about NCAA hockey and FCS football. Move on and let this thread get back to the topic at hand. If you want to discuss FCS not being the highest level of competition for college football, start your own thread and discuss it there. Quit hijacking every thread on this site and making the same point over and over and over and over and over again. I am serious. It is getting annoying.

Who died and made you a moderator?

The fact is if you agreed with me, you wouldn't be so butt hurt. Either that, or the truth is hurting so, so much that you are venting.

So...the Nickel Trophy. I think it should be on display at the Alerus in the front entrance along with the National Championship trophy....like they do at the Ralph. Most people haven't seen either trophies. Those need to be out there for football fans to see and appreciate.

I agree....also does anyone know where the Sitting Bull Trophy (winner of the UND-USD series) is?

I agree....also does anyone know where the Sitting Bull Trophy (winner of the UND-USD series) is?

Agreed. All 3 of those trophies need to be on display. Maybe a better location for them would be at the new HPC. That way the players can see them everyday and it is on campus. Gives current players glimse of the history of the tradition that is UND football.

Amen. I'll start another thread so football vs hockey can be 'discussed'...;)

UND

Best win/loss record in the last 10 years of the series

Best overall win record in entire series

Won the last time the two teams played

Guess FU fans would have rather had the teams not play for the 100 years?

Didn't read the rest of the thread (yet) but once I got to this point I had to comment/reply.

You are correct on every count (about the records anyway...) And while many Bison faithful will argue that those 10 years were some of the worst years in the history of the program it doesn't change the results in the record books.

As for would the fans of NDSU never have wanted the rivalry.... well the answer to that is no as well. It was a good.... nay GREAT rivalry, one of the greatest in college sports in my opinion. It shaped the future of both teams and both teams were better because of the other. However, it wasn't NDSU that decided not to play anymore..... and I can't thank your AD enough for that decision (even though I didn't like it at the time) much like I can't thank GT enough for not putting UND back on the schedule. It's the past, time to move on.

Regarding the trophy. Keep it or retire it to the ND State Museum. It is an important part of the history of both programs and should be on display somewhere (I don't care if it is GF or Fargo). I'm going to sound like an arrogant ass here, but I don't care: The 10 national championships mean WAY MORE than the Nickel trophy to this fan. I watched the rivalry games growing up and while it was cool to see them and to watch the trophy being claimed by one team or the other it was MUCH more enjoyable to watch the national championships (even the ones we lost in 81 and 84). Just like I'm sure 2001 was more enjoyable than winning the nickel for your fan base.

It is what it is. And it isn't the highest level of that sport in college athletics. Thus, the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences has never won an NCAA championship at the highest level of the respective sport.

The University of North Dakota has 7 times.

This is called....reality. If you don't like it, tough.

This "highest level" is played by several teams that aren't even division 1 in any other sport. It wasn't until this last year where I realized that there was a division III college hockey system. What happened to division II? (Serious question) I believe, but could be wrong here, that they didn't do a d2 system as there weren't enough PURE D1 schools out there to have a program that was solely Division 1 so they merged the D1 & D2 programs together so they could find 59 teams that were willing to participate at that level and rather than confuse anyone they just called the next level down division 3 as I don't believe there are any D2 schools playing D3 hockey (feel free to correct me about any of this).

Now the real question is this: If the rest of the major Division 1 (FBS/BCS) conferences cared enough about hockey to even field a team and had been doing so for as long as UND do you really think UND would be as dominant at that level? I mean if 'Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas State, USC, etc... all put the resources into college hockey like they do into football do you honestly think that UND would be competitive year in and year out? I know the answer to that one.

But you are right, they have won at the highest level available only because a true FBS equivalent D1 Hockey doesn't exist and never will.

I like UND hockey, I really do. My cousin is married to a former player, I went to a lot of his games and even wore a Sioux jersey to those games. But to call every team that is in "Division 1" hockey a division one school is foolish at best.

But back to football NDSU has beaten those from the highest level at a rate of 6-3. Were they the elite powerhouses? Absolutely not, but it's not much different than bragging about winning a championship in a league that features an otherwise D3 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute as one of it's members.

I sure as heck don't count them. And for those who would claim that I would have a different perspective if UND had won one of those beauty contests, the answer to that is absolutely not. Any title not won on the field of play is not a title. Period.

Wouldn't that then mean that the FCS title is the highest legitimate title in college football then. I mean there have been times when there was no clear winner at the FBS level most recently in 2003 when there was a split.

/cue Hayduke meltdown

Division II

Football Championship SUBDIVISION

I believe that the athletes that compete for these championships are smart enough to know what level they are playing.

Just because you aren't is not my fault.

No... Division 2 is just division 2. Division one is as you stated:

and

Football Bowl SUBDIVISION

Both are just different parts of Division 1. Just like Honda and Acura are subdivisions of their parent company Honda Motor Company. Both have high quality and both have similar products and usually Acura's are higher valued.... that doesn't mean the Honda can't outperform it.

No... Division 2 is just division 2. Division one is as you stated:

and

Football Bowl SUBDIVISION

Both are just different parts of Division 1. Just like Honda and Acura are subdivisions of their parent company Honda Motor Company. Both have high quality and both have similar products and usually Acura's are higher valued.... that doesn't mean the Honda can't outperform it.

Alabama would crush the University of Agriculture, Applied Sciences and Home Economics. Every time.

UND men's hockey can compete with any program in the country.

That's the difference.

Didn't read the rest of the thread (yet) but once I got to this point I had to comment/reply.

You are correct on every count (about the records anyway...) And while many Bison faithful will argue that those 10 years were some of the worst years in the history of the program it doesn't change the results in the record books.

As for would the fans of NDSU never have wanted the rivalry.... well the answer to that is no as well. It was a good.... nay GREAT rivalry, one of the greatest in college sports in my opinion. It shaped the future of both teams and both teams were better because of the other. However, it wasn't NDSU that decided not to play anymore..... and I can't thank your AD enough for that decision (even though I didn't like it at the time) much like I can't thank GT enough for not putting UND back on the schedule. It's the past, time to move on.

Regarding the trophy. Keep it or retire it to the ND State Museum. It is an important part of the history of both programs and should be on display somewhere (I don't care if it is GF or Fargo). I'm going to sound like an arrogant ass here, but I don't care: The 10 national championships mean WAY MORE than the Nickel trophy to this fan. I watched the rivalry games growing up and while it was cool to see them and to watch the trophy being claimed by one team or the other it was MUCH more enjoyable to watch the national championships (even the ones we lost in 81 and 84). Just like I'm sure 2001 was more enjoyable than winning the nickel for your fan base.

Sorry but you lose your credibility when you state that it was UND that ended.the rivalry. But that's another tired discussion the FU fans love to come here and discuss. As far as the Nickel Trophy the record shows which school is the dominent one within the state.