SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

Last I heard, it gets moved around amongst the coaching staff for safe-keeping. It made an appearance a couple years ago for a commercial for UND that Coach Mussman was in.

I think it should be on display at the Alerus Center, along with the National Championship trophy. Where is the National Championship trophy by the way? It seems to me that the two most prized tokens of North Dakota football history should be able to be easily viewable for the fans on game day. You walk by multiple championship and Hobey Baker trophies on the way to a hockey game, why can't we pass by the NC Trophy and the Nickel on the way to a football game?

On a related note is the PPTV piece that was done on the women's hoops and football rivalry available anywhere?

My favorite part about the PPTV piece was that the part about NDSU football had little to do with UND and more about winning titles....while the UND part had basically everything to do with catching up to NDSU.

Yeah, he came across as an a$$ because he is an a$$. My Colorado friends commented after watching that show that the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences had an idiot for a coach.

Hey, at least they don't have an idiot for a coach anymore. Just a criminal enabler. I'm not sure which is worse...

My Grandma was his babysitter back in Harvey, North Dakota. Said he was one of the nicest people she ever dealt with. That said, that man hated UND with more of a passion that I could ever imagine. Has twice as many titles as UND if I recollect. ;)

My favorite part about the PPTV piece was that the part about NDSU football had little to do with UND and more about winning titles....while the UND part had basically everything to do with catching up to NDSU.

My Grandma was his babysitter back in Harvey, North Dakota. Said he was one of the nicest people she ever dealt with. That said, that man hated UND with more of a passion that I could ever imagine. Has twice as many titles as UND if I recollect. ;)

How's that working for him.

I truly do not understand why each school is so mad with the other school. For anyone to say the rival is not important or that it is best left alone is crazy. I only saw eight years of the rivalry; however, it was so much more then the rivals around Wyoming and most of the country for that mater. Just think the schools were rivals for well over 100 years and now its over because of miss communications and disagreements. Again; that is crazy talk. NDSU fans should quite saying they would win handlely, because as the film said they won it over 10 times in a row and yet look at the mid 90's. Team go through bumps, but the nickle should be up for grabs never the less. I hope Fans of both sides don't let the great rival be forgotten.

Last I could see, he was the defensive line coach at that new I-AA powerhouse Bryant University.

Movin' up the ranks...

At his age, probably not exactly easy to get the good jobs anymore.

I truly do not understand why each school is so mad with the other school. For anyone to say the rival is not important or that it is best left alone is crazy. I only saw eight years of the rivalry; however, it was so much more then the rivals around Wyoming and most of the country for that mater. Just think the schools were rivals for well over 100 years and now its over because of miss communications and disagreements. Again; that is crazy talk. NDSU fans should quite saying they would win handlely, because as the film said they won it over 10 times in a row and yet look at the mid 90's. Team go through bumps, but the nickle should be up for grabs never the less. I hope Fans of both sides don't let the great rival be forgotten.

Its not over because of miscommunication. Its over because NDSU moved up. At this point in time, NDSU would win. There is little to discuss in that regard. Probably wouldn't be much of a game.

So those twelve years NDSU defeated UND, we should never had played. You will never make the shots you never true for. UND can only move closer to a win when they compete.

I'm sure some members of this board would have rather had the teams not play for several of those years ;)

I'm sure some members of this board would have rather had the teams not play for several of those years ;)

UND

Best win/loss record in the last 10 years of the series

Best overall win record in entire series

Won the last time the two teams played

Guess FU fans would have rather had the teams not play for the 100 years?

• Upvote 1

I've heard that its in the UND football facility somewhere. I'm kind of hoping it gets stolen again, just for old time sake. Some of my favorite times with the rivalry was the trophy disappearing only to reappear the week of the game.

Not that the two teams will play again for some time. But it does create some creativity in getting the trophy back. :lol:

Realistically - if the school is no longer known as the Fighting Sioux and the reason the name was taken away is because it is politically incorrect and offensive I highly doubt the school would be willing to resurrect the trophy because of this. The ND State Historical Society and Statue Museum in Bismarck is probably the best place for it - then if were to be stolen it's probably a felony.

Realistically - if the school is no longer known as the Fighting Sioux and the reason the name was taken away is because it is politically incorrect and offensive I highly doubt the school would be willing to resurrect the trophy because of this. The ND State Historical Society and Statue Museum in Bismarck is probably the best place for it - then if were to be stolen it's probably a felony.

Agree. Maybe we could get away with some "historical signifigance" waiver from the NCAA, but it's not worth it. Stick it in a museum.

UND

Best win/loss record in the last 10 years of the series

Best overall win record in entire series

Won the last time the two teams played

Guess FU fans would have rather had the teams not play for the 100 years?

NDSU football as we know it started in the 60's. Anything before, Meh.

I guess we need to discontinue the women's basketball rival. UND is much better then NDSU is.

The teams have played once in the last ten years and they are both awful.

Because the flagship school, the University of North Dakota leads the series 62-45-3 over the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences, we need not play again.

10>1.

Okay you've made your daily point as usual you can leave the basement.

Easy to pick and choose your years when it fits your tired argument

Yah we know whenever UND beats FU it's because both teams are bad and UND is just the best of the worst

10>1 of course now we know that refers to arrest warrants

• Upvote 2

You walk by multiple championship and Hobey Baker trophies on the way to a hockey game, why can't we pass by the NC Trophy and the Nickel on the way to a football game

Maybe because of the professional thieves that NDSU(X) recruits year after year, just saying..... :whistling:

• Upvote 4

I would give up every home game this year for the chance to see UND play at NDSU ON TV.

I've been to two Nickel games in my lifetime and you could just feel the energy in the building. First time was UND-NDSU at the Fargo Dome, where UND and NDSU were both bad, and with a pretty good defensive effort (and backup QB) UND won the game 12-6. Last one I saw would have been the last time the teams ever played.

4th and 1....quick pitch right to Malone.....digger.......

I don't care whats been said or done. The schools need to play each other every year again. That year that UND won 12-6 both teams weren't going anywhere, but beating NDSU made the sting of losing Klosterman go away. And the sting of getting murdered at home that year to Central Washington or whatever it was Potato bowl weekend go away. I'm glad that other sports have resumed the rivalry, its time for football to figure out a way.

Yah we know whenever UND beats FU it's because both teams are bad and UND is just the best of the worst

Give the guy a break. It's either spend time doing this, or continue working on a home economics minor at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

are you suggesting that either of those basketball teams were anything other than awful last season?

Give the guy a break. It's either spend time doing this, or continue working on a home economics minor at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

Finance. Could probably take some home econ classes online at UND though.