SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

With the Nickel off to Bismarck and NDSU and UND on a path to play a yearly game again, what are the odds a new trophy comes out of this "new era" of the rivalry?

How about the Battle of the Red.  A hawk flying over Bison dung.  perfect.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

How about the Battle of the Red.  A hawk flying over Bison dung.  perfect.

The Red River Rivalry exists, between Texas and OU.  Might want to avoid being too close to that.  A Fighting Hawk over Bison dung is a good look though.

I am for playing for the Nickel, which will probably bring about paid protesters, so let's create something new, for sure.  Something less stupid than a mile mark, which is pretty much anything so it won't be hard to top that.

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The Red River Rivalry exists, between Texas and OU.  Might want to avoid being too close to that.  A Fighting Hawk over Bison dung is a good look though.

I am for playing for the Nickel, which will probably bring about paid protesters, so let's create something new, for sure.  Something less stupid than a mile mark, which is pretty much anything so it won't be hard to top that.

forgot about the Texas Red River.

3 minutes ago, VMeister said:

Which side will they display in Bismarck?  The team that won the most meetings, or whoever won the last time it was played for?

Fighting Sioux side.  because Fighting Sioux won the most and also the last time they played for the Nickel.

One thing is for sure they better beef up the security in that building. Is it a felony to break into a government building? Regardless they better include a warning in the guidelines and expectations for homecoming royalty at SU. 

20 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

One thing is for sure they better beef up the security in that building. Is it a felony to break into a government building? Regardless they better include a warning in the guidelines and expectations for homecoming royalty at SU. 

Secure it with an armed drone.:)

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

With the Nickel off to Bismarck and NDSU and UND on a path to play a yearly game again, what are the odds a new trophy comes out of this "new era" of the rivalry?

I posted this a month ago in a different thread

http://ndsuspectrum.com/calling-the-herd-design-a-new-ndsu-und-trophy/

http://dakotastudent.com/10106/sports/old-tradition-new-trophy/

Don't know what came of it though....

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I'm fine with it going to the state museum, but how can they pass a law that impacts an item that is not owned by the state? Isn't it owned by the Blue Key club of both schools? 

The Legislature getting involved in something it probably shouldn't, possibly without adequate information and perhaps with a questionable motive? Say it ain't so!

• Upvote 1

What a coin flip, give me a break, the state legislature is way out of bounds on this, don't they have a full enough of a plate with the financial challenges in this state. This reminds me of the ND Attorney General siouxing the NCAA over the SIOUX name and logo. What other U in the country would have their state attorney general file suit? None, the U would handle it themselves.

UND and NDSU, together should put this to sleep, maybe by permanently awarding it to the school that wins the first MVFC game, since it was awarded at the annual conference game? That would be fair in that the schedule is not out yet and therefore the home team is unknown. The Nickel does not belong in Bismarck, it should be on one of the campuses.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

What a coin flip, give me a break, the state legislature is way out of bounds on this, don't they have a full enough of a plate with the financial challenges in this state. This reminds me of the ND Attorney General siouxing the NCAA over the SIOUX name and logo. What other U in the country would have their state attorney general file suit? None, the U would handle it themselves.

UND and NDSU, together should put this to sleep, maybe by permanently awarding it to the school that wins the first MVFC game, since it was awarded at the annual conference game? That would be fair in that the schedule is not out yet and therefore the home team is unknown. The Nickel does not belong in Bismarck, it should be on one of the campuses.

If it isn't gonna be played for,  it should be in Bismarck. I'd suggest rotating it between the campuses every year but that's dumb. 

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

While I agree that the legislature should probably stay out, I think the Heritage Center is probably the best place for it. Trophies like this are designed to be played for forever. Since this one won't be, it would be unfair to either school to make up an arbitrary final game for it. It is part of state history, so the Heritage Center is a great fit for it.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I posted this a month ago in a different thread

http://ndsuspectrum.com/calling-the-herd-design-a-new-ndsu-und-trophy/

http://dakotastudent.com/10106/sports/old-tradition-new-trophy/

Don't know what came of it though....

Duke and North Carolina play for the Victory Bell Trophy.  The bell sits on a platform that they whell it out on.  The winner of the game then pains the base to the color blue that matches their school.  Since both UND and NDSU have green, something similar to this could be good.  

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Duke and North Carolina play for the Victory Bell Trophy.  The bell sits on a platform that they whell it out on.  The winner of the game then pains the base to the color blue that matches their school.  Since both UND and NDSU have green, something similar to this could be good.  

NDSU also has baby S*** yellow as well.

7 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Quite frankly, I'm quite appalled and disgusted with how some of you are going about coming with a new rivalry trophy. Much like messing around with drones and throwing dead rodents onto ice, this is something that anyone with a taste of UND education should have down by now.

You want a new trophy? Here's how you come up with a new trophy.

Step 1. What do we want our new trophy to represent? Well, it's hard to say. How are we going to decide, you ask? Easy. The most effective decision making tool the 21st century has to offer. We'll make a committee to come up with what we want in our new trophy.

Step 2. We know what we want, now it's time to execute. How exactly does one put all of our thoughts and desires into a tangible trophy? Well no one can. We need the collective wisdom of a governing body, say, another committee perhaps. If they need help we could open up the brainstorming process to a little crowd sourcing, but at the very least, we would need a committee to refine the ideas down for the rest of us.

Step 3. After the committee narrows down the trophy ideas using very clear and transparent criteria and logic that these groups can't help themselves but to use, we could use a little democracy to pick the final winner. Admittedly, this is where it's going to get hard because you aren't going to have any clear winners, so maybe take the 5 or so, open it up to an election and set some hard line rules about any subsequent runoff elections. Now, if you think the hard line rules aren't what you want after this first election, you can kind of just discard those and do what you want anyways. Just say it was a prank or something.

Step 4. After an undetermined set of elections, we will eventually have a winner. To build off this excitement, I'd suggest announcing it at an awkward press conference that includes out of place, uncomfortable yelling/cheering.

Step 5. Bask in the inevitable praise that will rain down on the skillful execution.

My apologies.  in jest but poor taste.

a committee of lettermen and current players from both UND and NDSU to come up with 3 choices for a trophy and design.  To be voted on by student body of both Universities. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

My apologies.  in jest but poor taste.

a committee of lettermen and current players from both UND and NDSU to come up with 3 choices for a trophy and design.  To be voted on by student body of both Universities. 

I'm concerned that is has only 50% of the committees from the original blueprint. 

If we wanted to try something new, I would suggest going in the complete opposite direction. Instead of the winner gets a trophy, the loser has to take care of salt water aquarium for the entire year or something like that.

22 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Quite frankly, I'm quite appalled and disgusted with how some of you are going about coming with a new rivalry trophy. Much like messing around with drones and throwing dead rodents onto ice, this is something that anyone with a taste of UND education should have down by now.

You want a new trophy? Here's how you come up with a new trophy.

Step 1. What do we want our new trophy to represent? Well, it's hard to say. How are we going to decide, you ask? Easy. The most effective decision making tool the 21st century has to offer. We'll make a committee to come up with what we want in our new trophy.

Step 2. We know what we want, now it's time to execute. How exactly does one put all of our thoughts and desires into a tangible trophy? Well no one can. We need the collective wisdom of a governing body, say, another committee perhaps. If they need help we could open up the brainstorming process to a little crowd sourcing, but at the very least, we would need a committee to refine the ideas down for the rest of us.

Step 3. After the committee narrows down the trophy ideas using very clear and transparent criteria and logic that these groups can't help themselves but to use, we could use a little democracy to pick the final winner. Admittedly, this is where it's going to get hard because you aren't going to have any clear winners, so maybe take the 5 or so, open it up to an election and set some hard line rules about any subsequent runoff elections. Now, if you think the hard line rules aren't what you want after this first election, you can kind of just discard those and do what you want anyways. Just say it was a prank or something.

Step 4. After an undetermined set of elections, we will eventually have a winner. To build off this excitement, I'd suggest announcing it at an awkward press conference that includes out of place, uncomfortable yelling/cheering.

Step 5. Bask in the inevitable praise that will rain down on the skillful execution.

May I add a few things to this:

-Included in step 2, we need someone who has an expect opinion on coming up with trophies.  You bring in an outside consultant who uses amazing resources such as Urban Dictionary.

-You also need to include an option that you know won't work but is popular, but instead of removing it right away you tease both fan bases until the final cut where you get rid of it.

-Of course at the end you will need to replace your key leadership because at some point during the process he/she got forced out.. I mean retired

-Oh, did I mention spending as much $$$ as possible in a budget crisis and dragging this out and long as possible...

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...