SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

NDSU football has more bandwagon jumpers in the state....fact. As far as the hockey fans in the state. Have always been the same amount. Selling out the arena back in the day and selling out the arena now.

Actually according to the USCHO, the last year of the old Ralph UND averaged 3,291 fans per game for men's hockey. If my memory is correct it held close to 6,000. I guess they weren't selling out back in the day.

Actually according to the USCHO, the last year of the old Ralph UND averaged 3,291 fans per game for men's hockey. If my memory is correct it held close to 6,000. I guess they weren't selling out back in the day.

The last year of the Old REA, we were WCHA Regular Season champs and runners-up both in the WCHA Final Five and the NCAA Frozen Four. I was at practically every home game that season and I can tell you the 3,291 figure is pure crap. USCHO needs to double-check that one.

The last year of the Old REA, we were WCHA Regular Season champs and runners-up both in the WCHA Final Five and the NCAA Frozen Four. I was at practically every home game that season and I can tell you the 3,291 figure is pure crap. USCHO needs to double-check that one.

http://www.uscho.com...-men/2001-2002/

Bad data here. Maine averaged 5 fans, Notre Dame 1. Not to mention that was the first season of the new REA.

http://www.uscho.com...-men/2001-2002/

Bad data here. Maine averaged 5 fans, Notre Dame 1.

Correct. That is some seriously incorrect data. Also, 2001-2002 was the year the new REA opened not the last year of the Old REA. Per the UND Media guide, attendance in 2001-2002 was 11,456/game. Can't find any figures for the last year of the Old REA other than box scores which list all the home games as a sell-out at 6,067. Not sure how accurate that is.

Edit: The stat sheet for 2000-2001 season show that there were 19 home games with an average attendance of 5,885 for the year.

National competition?

Who cares?

Let's talk international competition. Parise...captain of the United States Olympic Team. Toews wears the A for Canada. Dave Christian...I assume you have heard of him.

National competition?

Yeah... Not that big of a deal compared to the hockey players that UND has produced. Not even close.

Again, it's all about numbers.

There are 120 FBS football schools and 122 FCS football schools. There are only 59 DI hockey schools. So even if you throw in a few international hot spots for hockey, football competition, within only our country, produces more competition in terms of just making it to the pros (NHL v. NFL).

With that said, the amount of professionals UND hockey has produced is substantial and something to be proud of. Again, I do not like pointing out the negatives of college hockey; I'd rather focus on the positives, but individuals continue to be illogical when presenting college hockey.

Sooooo...the Nickel Trophy.....how bout we talk about that since it is the title of this thread!!!

The Nickel Trophy will never be played for again. We don't even play NDSU every other year, or every 4 years to establish a consistent game to have a trophy for. That and the fact that we have retired the Sioux name. So because of these reasons, I think since it should be on display. And it would be only fitting that we won the last meeting and we have won the most overall "Nickel games" that it should be prooudly displayed somewhere in Grand Forks. I think they need to display it at the Alerus. Let fans who maybe have never seen it up close get to see it. IT is a big part of UND football history. The Ralph made a genius decision when they decided to put all the National Championship and Hobey Baker trophies in the lobby. Similar think could be done at the Alerus. The Alerus has made stps to make the Al more "UND football friendly" but having a "UND history section" with past trophies, pictures and accomplishments would be sweet. Of course this is all just a pipe dream,,,,but one can hope right?!!

Sooooo...the Nickel Trophy.....how bout we talk about that since it is the title of this thread!!!

The Nickel Trophy will never be played for again. We don't even play NDSU every other year, or every 4 years to establish a consistent game to have a trophy for. That and the fact that we have retired the Sioux name. So because of these reasons, I think since it should be on display. And it would be only fitting that we won the last meeting and we have won the most overall "Nickel games" that it should be prooudly displayed somewhere in Grand Forks. I think they need to display it at the Alerus. Let fans who maybe have never seen it up close get to see it. IT is a big part of UND football history. The Ralph made a genius decision when they decided to put all the National Championship and Hobey Baker trophies in the lobby. Similar think could be done at the Alerus. The Alerus has made stps to make the Al more "UND football friendly" but having a "UND history section" with past trophies, pictures and accomplishments would be sweet. Of course this is all just a pipe dream,,,,but one can hope right?!!

I hope they do this. The Al used to be very plain when it comes to UND football but has amped it up lately. Putting the Nickel, and the Championship trophy for all to see would be an added bonus.

I hope they do this. The Al used to be very plain when it comes to UND football but has amped it up lately. Putting the Nickel, and the Championship trophy for all to see would be an added bonus.

Almost forgot about the Sitting Bull Trophy!! I can see UND not wanting to put those trophies at the Alerus since they are really only there less than 20 days through the year. A more likely place would be atthe new HPC. That will be the home for UND football. IF that is the case, it would be nice to have it in a public accessable location.

Almost forgot about the Sitting Bull Trophy!! I can see UND not wanting to put those trophies at the Alerus since they are really only there less than 20 days through the year. A more likely place would be atthe new HPC. That will be the home for UND football. IF that is the case, it would be nice to have it in a public accessable location.

That would be nice a little football shrine in the lobby of the IPF like the REA would be a great touch to the place.

Absolutely; have a UND football history section to show that the Alerus actually cares about their primary tenant. And of course to best represent UND football!

Would like a section that not only includes the Nickel and NC trophy, but also photos and old jerseys/helmets recognizing past greats!

Of course, we know how the Alerus won't even let UND have a UND logo at midfield, so why expect the Alerus to oblige and actually represent UND football as positively as possible? Perhaps the UND athletics high performance center would be the best place. It's great that the team will be in there practicing by next winter!!

Absolutely; have a UND football history section to show that the Alerus actually cares about their primary tenant. And of course to best represent UND football!

Would like a section that not only includes the Nickel and NC trophy, but also photos and old jerseys/helmets recognizing past greats!

Of course, we know how the Alerus won't even let UND have a UND logo at midfield, so why expect the Alerus to oblige and actually represent UND football as positively as possible? Perhaps the UND athletics high performance center would be the best place. It's great that the team will be in there practicing by next winter!!

Agree with this. They could have the trophy's at the Al during football season and then move them back to their permanent home at the IPF during the off season. I do like that they added the signage outside the Al a few years ago. Now they just need to work on the inside.

As I stated in my earlier post, in the United States (which is what I meant by "football, in general, is far more popular and successful than hockey within this country.") football is considered the more popular sport. This does indeed change when dealing internationally.

Comparing collegiate hockey to FCS football is not "belittling" UND hockey, but rather it simply portrays two NCAA classifications (DI hockey and FCS [D-1AA] football) possessed by UND that both deserve recognition and respect. There is no reason to say collegiate hockey is greater than FCS football. With that said, UND is certainly a more established hockey school and that goes without debate.

Again, bringing up different sports along with hypothetical situations does not prove I am criticizing UND hockey. I attend nearly every home UND hockey game and enthusiastically support the team each and every year. With that said, I understand it doesn't make UND hockey any more popular in terms of national perception.

Lastly, I would like to say "going full retard" is perhaps a bit unnecessary and inappropriate. Statistics show that football is the most popular and successful sport in the United States, so why not embrace FCS football and UND football. I personally believe FCS football and collegiate hockey are extremely similar. Simply stating one is played at the highest level and the other isn't does not work in this case because of football's national status.

I wasn't referring to you in particular with the full retard comment....although it looked that way when I had quoted you. for that I am sorry.

Once again, I fail to see the point of any of us discussing things such as attendance, number of schools competing in said sport, affiliation of said schools in their other sports, general fan following, national popularity, regional popularity, and on , and on, and on..... NONE of it changes the fact that UND is successful at the highest level of collegiate hockey. NONE of it changes the fact FCS football is a step below FBS football.

Saying that UND hockey is similar to FCS football is factually incorrect; we need not go any further. But yet,..... we do......

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a statewide tour with all the trophies like the ac has done with theirs? Was something like that done after the national championship? I don't recall.

Bison fans have spent a lot of time talking about how much publicity their football team has brought to NDSU. They also spend a lot time putting down how little national publicity they think UND gets for being a national power in hockey. I think we can now officially put that theory behind us. T. J. Oshie and all the other 8 UND hockey players in the Olympics have once again put UND, Grand Forks, North Dakota , Warroad and hockey on the lips of millions of Americans and people from around the world. The Oshie game with Russia will be replayed for years and years. It will be brought up and talked about forever. We still have Parise, Toews, Karvinen, Eisenschmid, Tapani, and the Lamourex twins to also hopefully to create some more memories. Yes, hockey and UND are alive and well. The publicity UND, Grand Forks, and hockey has got in the last 3 days dwarfs dwarfs the pub NDSU got for their football team in one quick swipe. And that publicity will live on forever.

Bison fans have spent a lot of time talking about how much publicity their football team has brought to NDSU. They also spend a lot time putting down how little national publicity they think UND gets for being a national power in hockey. I think we can now officially put that theory behind us. T. J. Oshie and all the other 8 UND hockey players in the Olympics have once again put UND, Grand Forks, North Dakota , Warroad and hockey on the lips of millions of Americans and people from around the world. The Oshie game with Russia will be replayed for years and years. It will be brought up and talked about forever. We still have Parise, Toews, Karvinen, Eisenschmid, Tapani, and the Lamourex twins to also hopefully to create some more memories. Yes, hockey and UND are alive and well. The publicity UND, Grand Forks, and hockey has got in the last 3 days dwarfs dwarfs the pub NDSU got for their football team in one quick swipe. And that publicity will live on forever.

This is true.

Too easy for me to steal it then though. In all honesty, it should be in a museum of some sorts if the teams don't plan on playing for it anymore.....or mounted in my living room...that'd be fine with me too.

I agree. The trophy shouldn't be getting passed around to various hiding places. It should be in a museum. Even if the two teams ever do play again, the trophy would probably not be up for grabs because of the "hostile and abusive" logo on one side of it.

I agree. The trophy shouldn't be getting passed around to various hiding places. It should be in a museum. Even if the two teams ever do play again, the trophy would probably not be up for grabs because of the "hostile and abusive" logo on one side of it.

No logos on it. Just a replica of federal currency.

So.......GT signed a home and home with Weber St. Wasn't real nice to contradict some of the main talking points of the FU faithful....Home and home only acceptable with other top schools (Weber is not), must have 6 home games and an FBS away game (GT has assured NDSU can only have one or the other in 2015). Oops.

Still can't see a home and home being signed as long as GT is at the helm of FU's athletic department. They'll meet in the playoffs before a contract is ever signed.

So.......GT signed a home and home with Weber St. Wasn't real nice to contradict some of the main talking points of the FU faithful....Home and home only acceptable with other top schools (Weber is not), must have 6 home games and an FBS away game (GT has assured NDSU can only have one or the other in 2015). Oops.

Still can't see a home and home being signed as long as GT is at the helm of FU's athletic department. They'll meet in the playoffs before a contract is ever signed.

He's protecting ndsu football as the #2 team in the state of nd. Do you blame him? Eventually bison football will be #3 in the state.

He's protecting ndsu football as the #2 team in the state of nd. Do you blame him? Eventually bison football will be #3 in the state.

That's it, Gene Taylor has been afraid to put UND on the football schedule the last ten years. I think there was some fear when the series was stopped, but that fear came from 75 miles north.

As for NDSU football being #2 in the state, I see where the NDSU athletic department pocketed close to a half a million on trademark revenue from sales of athletic merchandise and are expecting to see an increase this year. Any idea of how much the UND athletic department gets from merchandise sales? I haven't seen anything published on it. Has anyone else seen this number?

That's it, Gene Taylor has been afraid to put UND on the football schedule the last ten years. I think there was some fear when the series was stopped, but that fear came from 75 miles north.

As for NDSU football being #2 in the state, I see where the NDSU athletic department pocketed close to a half a million on trademark revenue from sales of athletic merchandise and are expecting to see an increase this year. Any idea of how much the UND athletic department gets from merchandise sales? I haven't seen anything published on it. Has anyone else seen this number?

Haven't seen the number. Very irrelevant either way though. Of course und's trademark sales have been down with no team name. If fighting Sioux gear was still produced I highly doubt you'd see ndsu bragging about their amazing number.

But when this great number is 1/8th of what former bison make in the nfl, I guess this is a big deal to you guys.