SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

That doesn't mean they aren't a competitive program.

That's kind of the point I've been trying to make.

Lots of Sioux hockey fans belittle NDSU because they beat teams like Sam Houston and Furman en route to win a title.

Lots of Bison fans belittle UND because they've beaten teams like Northern Michigan and Niagra en route to win a title.

All are competetive teams in their respective divisions.

Both accomplishments are impressive.

That's kind of the point I've been trying to make.

Lots of Sioux hockey fans belittle NDSU because they beat teams like Sam Houston and Furman en route to win a title.

Lots of Bison fans belittle UND because they've beaten teams like Northern Michigan and Niagra en route to win a title.

All are competetive teams in their respective divisions.

Both accomplishments are impressive.

Gotcha. I agree.

Making fun of NCAA hockey for having small schools that are competitive is ridiculous. LOL NCAA basketball gonzaga, Wichita, Marquette, Creighton, providence, valpo, Seton hall, and the rest of a10 and the big east.

Those schools are competing against the Big 12, B1G, SEC, Pac-12, and ACC....in a sport that those conferences care about.

Just because more people now about something doesn't mean its better.

National popular opinion drives collegiate athletics. Why? Just ask the NC$$

Being a top 5 school in a particular collegiate sport is truthfully an extraordinary status for UND, but NCAA hockey has very little superiority over FCS football in my opinion. For example, FCS football gets way more air time on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. because its just more popular. And that popularity directly affects revenue flow.

As far as I'm concerned, DI football, whether it be FBS or FCS, will always exceed NCAA hockey because of its general popularity and financial involvements.

• Upvote 1

OK then, what makes more money, und hockey or ndsu football?

Better yet, let's compare professional sports contracts. Who has more players at the top level of their sport?

Toews, Oshie, Parise, etc... All making big dollar contracts.

Who is a "big boy" in college hockey? Why, UND, that's who! When college hockey is mentioned, UND is a known player in that sport.

FCS is fine. But, it's tier II football. Fargo is the drunkest town in the USA. It's also one of the fattest. Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life. Ask Dean Wormer.

Even the University of Wyoming, who definitely is not a "big boy" in college football, had more on the table to offer to Craig Bohl. That's a fact. He bailed on Fargo and went to Laramie. Because it was a better opportunity for more $$$. Because it's a higher level of competition than NDSU offers.

But, folks out of Fargo don't see it that way. That's because they are drunk, fat and stupid. Well, they can always sober up and lose weight. But, that's as good as it's gonna get for them. :lol:

The highest level filled with Division 2 and 3 schools. Not every day you get to compete with St. Cloud St, RPI, Union College, Bemidji State, Mich Tech, Lake Superior St., St. Lawrence etc., unless you play Div 1 hockey.

Let's compare former und pro sport salaries vs former ndsu pro sport salaries and see who comes out ahead. Pretty sure ndsu pro sport salaries would be more comparable to lssu's.

Ndsu this past season had four former players with pro contracts. Not the impact their fans think their team actually makes. Good money for those 4 sure. But not even close to former und'ers contracts.

Let's compare former und pro sport salaries vs former ndsu pro sport salaries and see who comes out ahead. Pretty sure ndsu pro sport salaries would be more comparable to lssu's.

Ndsu this past season had four former players with pro contracts. Not the impact their fans think their team actually makes. Good money for those 4 sure. But not even close to former und'ers contracts.

I wonder if Kuper's contract alone matches or exceeds the former "student athletes" from the University of Agriculture and Applied Science?

Looks like Phoenix has the worst attendance in the NHL, and they still draw 2,000 more per game than the Sioux.

25 FCS schools averaged higher attendance than North Dakota hockey in 2012.

A few years ago UND averaged more fans than the New York Islanders. That's just one instance.

Never has a FCS team came close to averaging what an NFL team does. Not even half the amount of one nfl team.

Or I'll be impressed when any sport ever averages more than its professional counterpart. Do you see NDSU basketball averaging more than an NBA team?

Might as just well just move UND hockey to the NHL. Some years it will average more than other teams and even its tv ratings has already beaten NHL games.

If you know hockey you known UND.

If you know football you don't know NDSU.

NCAA Hockey is a blast, but in the grand scheme of things it's right there with NCAA Lacrosse. That's just how it is.

And you back this statement up with exactly what empirical evidence? Attendance figures? Budgets?

I could say that nobody outside of the United States gives a crap about American football, and I could back that statement up. Hell, even Canada has different rules with the same game. Outside of these two countries, nobody really plays it. Outside of the USA, nobody really cares or pays attention. You can't say that about hockey. Although, you could say that it's a northern hemisphere game only.

Major League Lacrosse...does it exist? Are there huge whoppin' contracts for their players? Is it in with what is considered the four major professional sports leagues in the USA; the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL?

UND hockey competes at the highest Level offered in collegiate athletics. FCS football is not the highest level of collegiate football. . It is a fact. Attendance, opinions of popularity, and varying definitions of "big time" are just silly childish straw man comebacks that don't change the facts. I don't care what level each UND sport competes at- I will be supportive regardless. But that doesn't mean I won't be proud to point out 7 national titles won at the highest level of competition are the crown jewel of accomplishments.

Anyways, who else thinks the Nickel Trophy should be in public view in the Alerus? Just anywhere in the public eye, I would love to see it in person.

Darrel,

I disagree.

Why? Because there are too many thieves from the University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

We don't want Lakesbison's bail bondsman to make too much money...

Would I be way off base to say that the level of quality competition found in DI hockey would be proportionately similar to the level of quality competition in the FCS though?

There are roughly twice as many teams in FCS as there are in DI hockey. I'm no great hockey mind at all, just a casual fan, but off the top of my head I can think of maybe 5 to 10 hockey teams that will be in the hunt for a title every single year: UND, UM, UW, Denver, BC, Michigan, BU, and probably a couple more east coast teams that escape me.

Aren't there probably 10-20 of the same FCS teams that are usually on everybody's radar to make a post season run every year? NDSU, Montana, App St., UNI, EWU, James Madison, Delaware, Sam Houston, Montana St., GSU, Villanova, Youngstown, Furman, and others that I can't think of at the moment.

My point is that it is really probably all relative. For every Alabama-Huntsville in college hockey, there is Savanah St and Austin Peay in FCS. Michigan is a "big time" school in college hockey. Montana and Delaware are "big time" schools in FCS. For every "big time" college hockey school, there are probably two "big time" FCS schools.

It kind of all balances out in my eyes. Some say you can't compare college hockey and FCS football. I think it is a great comparison. Unless you, A) are a fan of a school that has college hockey, or B) live in a region where a popular/successful school plays college hockey, you probably aren't going to hear or see a lot about it unless you make an effort to. Same goes for FCS football. Heck, even attendance numbers at the championship games for each sport at neutral venues are very similar.

I agree a lot with the comparison. One thing to point out, the FCS isn't exactly a balanced field in terms of funding/participation across the board. The FCS has one league that doens't offer athletic scholarship (Pioneer League - 12 teams) and two that don't participate in the playoffs (Ivy League - 8 teams and SWAC - 10 teams). Approximately 25% of the sub-division has no interest or chance at the championship yet are still considered on the same level as the rest of the teams.

I agree a lot with the comparison. One thing to point out, the FCS isn't exactly a balanced field in terms of funding/participation across the board. The FCS has one league that doens't offer athletic scholarship (Pioneer League - 12 teams) and two that don't participate in the playoffs (Ivy League - 8 teams and SWAC - 10 teams). Approximately 25% of the sub-division has no interest or chance at the championship yet are still considered on the same level as the rest of the teams.

How many hockey schools are full DI in all sports? You have to take that into account.