SiouxSports.com Forum

MLB All-Star Game

MafiaMan

I used to love the MLB All-Star game...now it's a joke. Mariano Rivera pitches a scoreless 8th inning of a 3-0 game and wins the MVP award? And did anyone else catch the 'creepy uncle' hug that Bud Selig put on Mariano after thanking him for his years of service with the Yankees? Talk about uncomfortable...

I will miss Tim McCarver though...always enjoy hearing him call a game.

I only watched the first inning, but as far as All-Star Games go, MLB is the only one worth watching. At least the pitchers still pitch and the fielders still catch, unlike the NBA, NHL, and NFL where defense is frowned upon in ASGs.

I only watched the first inning, but as far as All-Star Games go, MLB is the only one worth watching. At least the pitchers still pitch and the fielders still catch, unlike the NBA, NHL, and NFL where defense is frowned upon in ASGs.

I agree. The NFL Pro Bowl and NBA All-Star game have become totally unwatchable. That being said, deciding World Series home advantage based on the winner of the All-Star game is absurd.

Inter-league play can go away too. Yes, it's fun if you're in Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles, but it's just another series when it's Detroit vs Pittsburgh, Philadelphia vs Cleveland, or Texas vs San Diego.

I agree. The NFL Pro Bowl and NBA All-Star game have become totally unwatchable. That being said, deciding World Series home advantage based on the winner of the All-Star game is absurd.

Inter-league play can go away too. Yes, it's fun if you're in Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles, but it's just another series when it's Detroit vs Pittsburgh, Philadelphia vs Cleveland, or Texas vs San Diego.

it's better than having a home run hitting contest to decide home field. at this point there isn't a better solution to determine home field in the world series as everbody doesn't play everybody in interleague to make having the best record be the determining factor. that said some interleague matchups are no different than say carolina versus the wild in hockey, or memphis versus the hawks in basketball or detroit versus buffalo infootball. there are always going to be less than desireable matchups.

It was said at the radio station, that the World series advantage is the only thing that keeps people watching the all-star game. Because of that, it was suggested they give the NFL team a 3 or even 7 point lead going into the super bowl based on the pro game. Any one agree?

MLB has gone in the tank since the crack down of PEDs. Bring back PEDs and get rid of Bud...problems solved! ;)

BTW...saw local boy Hafner at Target Field on July 4th. Dude has been on a major diet since his hay days in the mid 2000's. :ohmy::glare:

it's better than having a home run hitting contest to decide home field. at this point there isn't a better solution to determine home field in the world series as everbody doesn't play everybody in interleague to make having the best record be the determining factor. that said some interleague matchups are no different than say carolina versus the wild in hockey, or memphis versus the hawks in basketball or detroit versus buffalo infootball. there are always going to be less than desireable matchups.

But you cannot have inter-league play where the Mets and Yankees and Cubs and White Sox are guaranteed to play each other during the season but everyone else rotates. I preferred the old days of no interleague play at all. Then again, I still remember the crummy astro-turf at Veterans Stadium and Gaylord Perry's famous spitball. Mike Schmidt was a power-hitter, now he'd be a scrubby utility player.

What was wrong with the team with the better record hosting the World Series? If the Cardinals finish with 105 wins and Texas winds up with the wild-card and 88 wins, is it fair that St Louis should open up on the road simply because a mid-season game involving 3-5 members of their actual team determined who gets to be the home team for the World Series?

But you cannot have inter-league play where the Mets and Yankees and Cubs and White Sox are guaranteed to play each other during the season but everyone else rotates. I preferred the old days of no interleague play at all. Then again, I still remember the crummy astro-turf at Veterans Stadium and Gaylord Perry's famous spitball. Mike Schmidt was a power-hitter, now he'd be a scrubby utility player.

What was wrong with the team with the better record hosting the World Series? If the Cardinals finish with 105 wins and Texas winds up with the wild-card and 88 wins, is it fair that St Louis should open up on the road simply because a mid-season game involving 3-5 members of their actual team determined who gets to be the home team for the World Series?

they could just go back to the days of yesteryear like you mentioned and just rotate homefield. I would actually prefer to see more interleague and say have one 3 game series against every team from the other league and determine homefield off of overall best record just like the nba and nhl do. but "tradionalists" would have heart attacks if that were to happen.

Even Riveria's kids didnt seem excited about the corvette

I never did understand that logic..."you're a multi-millionaire athlete and just won an award...so we're going to GIVE YOU a free car!". Gee, thanks, I'll put it in the garage next to my other dozen. How about drawing a random ticket out of a hat, finding the fan that owns that ticket, and giving HIM or HER the car?

they could just go back to the days of yesteryear like you mentioned and just rotate homefield. I would actually prefer to see more interleague and say have one 3 game series against every team from the other league and determine homefield off of overall best record just like the nba and nhl do. but "tradionalists" would have heart attacks if that were to happen.

I think you'd need the DH in the National League before that happened, something I'm not totally opposed to. I'm tired of groaning every time the pitcher comes up to the plate in an NL game. Then again, there's no 'designated free-throw shooter in the NBA,' is there?

I never did understand that logic..."you're a multi-millionaire athlete and just won an award...so we're going to GIVE YOU a free car!". Gee, thanks, I'll put it in the garage next to my other dozen. How about drawing a random ticket out of a hat, finding the fan that owns that ticket, and giving HIM or HER the car?

I hear ya...but what % of those in the ball park could actually pony up the tax bill from receiving the new 'vette or would it hit Craig's List or Ebay as soon as Vinny got home to his computer?

I think you'd need the DH in the National League before that happened, something I'm not totally opposed to. I'm tired of groaning every time the pitcher comes up to the plate in an NL game. Then again, there's no 'designated free-throw shooter in the NBA,' is there?

I'm not opposed to a dh in the nl either, I think it is just stupid that in the world series you have it in al parks and not in nl parks.

I hear ya...but what % of those in the ball park could actually pony up the tax bill from receiving the new 'vette or would it hit Craig's List or Ebay as soon as Vinny got home to his computer?

What % would actually report that as income on their 2013 tax return anyways?

AL teams seem to have a late career, big, power hitter on their bench all season. NL teams don't seem to carry that.

The AL win last night signals to all the contending NL teams that they need to start sniffing for a DH for the World Series.