SiouxSports.com Forum

Bieber and hockey, together at last

jimdahl

OK, I'm actually going to defend Justin Bieber on two counts here:

1) Touching the Stanley Cup as a 'civilian': When I stood in line in 2008 to see the Stanley Cup on display in Eau Claire (a $10 'donation' was charged to take a photo with the cup - the donation was for hockey facilities in Eau Claire), almost EVERYONE in line touched the cup when they posed with it. You were allowed to touch the cup, but not pick it up from the table. I would bet that easily 50% of the people I saw in line before me put their hand(s) on the Stanley Cup when their photo op came up. I did not because I believe in the tradition. My then 8 year old son fessed up later that even though I gave him explicit instructions to NOT touch the cup, that he couldn't resist and actually put a finger on it when I wasn't looking. Rather than backhand him across the face, I chuckled. He said it was pretty cool.

2) The horror of standing on a logo that's put on the floor: I'm sure plenty of people like me in their 40's remember the days of gigantic center-ice, mid-court, and midfield logos of college, NHL, NBA, and NFL teams. The bigger the team logo, the better. All of a sudden, the Miami Hurricanes, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, etc. are pictured on TV weekly in about the early to mid 1990's stomping on their opponents' logo at midfield. Pre-game fights break out, players getting ejected, etc. Home turf is something that's to be protected. Now, even the THOUGHT of walking across a logo THAT'S EMBEDDED IN THE FREAKING FLOOR is something that apparently deserves nothing short of a punch in the face. Hey, let's put UND logos in the granite of REA...then a few years later, let's rope off the area so no one can walk on it. I don't get it...

Case in point...football pre-game warm-ups...or West Side Boyz vs 3rd Street Mafia?

Mafia--

Haha, I got you to defend Bieber.

I agree on the cup, though. When I saw the cup my buddy and I debated for all of 5 secs, decided that since we weren't ever going to be playing for it we got to touch it.

People are just picking on poor Biebs.

• 2 weeks later...

My bad, I guess they're in Color Me Badd. I had the bands mixed up.

Well played, Mauer!

BTW...haven't heard from Goon how he liked the 1D concert in MSP on July 18. Know he's a HUGE fan!