SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Cooke signed by Wild

MafiaMan

So how do folks feel about the signing of Matt Cooke?

I'm not a Wild fan, but my first thought was 'yikes.'

Can't find cap space to keep a local, high character guy with slick offensive skills like Cullen so let's bring in this clown. Yeo tried to spin in the press but Cooke is who he is. Horrible move IMO.

Can't find cap space to keep a local, high character guy with slick offensive skills like Cullen so let's bring in this clown. Yeo tried to spin in the press but Cooke is who he is. Horrible move IMO.

How about signing another guy who according to plenty of folks, has ZERO interest in being back in Minnesota?

How about signing another guy who according to plenty of folks, has ZERO interest in being back in Minnesota?

I literally threw up in my mouth when the Wild signed this P.O.S. I can’t believe of all people the Wild signed this clown.

• Upvote 1

Never been a fan of the wild with how boring they have played year after year.

With the signing of Cooke I will definately not be cheering for them any time soon.

We have an NHL team 150 miles to the north of us (Winnipeg Jets) that I think will win a championship before the Mild ever get close to winning one. If you need a viable alternative, that would be my choice.

So how do folks feel about the signing of Matt Cooke?

I'm not a Wild fan, but my first thought was 'yikes.'

No problem with it and kind of like the signing. I think he will fit well and he has been a different player than what many think the last couple of seasons. He will help the Wild and a lot of people will be suprised at the way he plays now compared to what a lot of people think he is based on past reputation.

• Upvote 1

I literally threw up in my mouth when the Wild signed this P.O.S. I can’t believe of all people the Wild signed this clown.

Wild fans will especially remember this ass-clown from his days with Vancouver...the way he would chirp and slash guys all game and then hide behind the officials when an opposing player came after him..this guy is garbage, can't believe they would sign him...
  • Upvote 1

This is a textbook example of why the Minnesota Wild (Mild) are a bottom of the barrel franchise in the NHL. No wonder people are starting to lose interest in them; you can't use the "expansion team" crutch anymore.

Didn't the Wild make the playoffs last year?

Didn't the Wild make the playoffs last year?

Yeah.....so did 15 other teams. In a 30 team league, "making the playoffs" is not a standard of excellence I would be proud of. And it had been several years since the Mild had even managed to accomplish that. Overall, the total body of work is mediocre at best.

Yeah.....so did 15 other teams. In a 30 team league, "making the playoffs" is not a standard of excellence I would be proud of. And it had been several years since the Mild had even managed to accomplish that. Overall, the total body of work is mediocre at best.

You didn't say mediocre. You said bottom of the barrel. When in fact they finished in the top half of the proverbial barrel last year. Should Wild fans be bummed when they make the playoffs?

You didn't say mediocre. You said bottom of the barrel. When in fact they finished in the top half of the proverbial barrel last year. Should Wild fans be bummed when they make the playoffs?

No, but they should be bummed that they can't get out of the first round. Maybe bottom of the barrel is too harsh, but it's unacceptable that this franschise has been mired in quicksand for so many years. Your accepting attitude about it is also part of the problem. Why should the front office care if the fans are satisfied with just making the playoffs?

No, but they should be bummed that they can't get out of the first round. Maybe bottom of the barrel is too harsh, but it's unacceptable that this franschise has been mired in quicksand for so many years. Your accepting attitude about it is also part of the problem. Why should the front office care if the fans are satisfied with just making the playoffs?

Making the playoffs after being a non factor for so long gives fans optimism. The front office cares about winning because...$$$$$$$$$$$. Every owner in the league wants to be playing games at their arenas into June. They aren't striving to win so I get a warm feeling in my heart.

Making the playoffs after being a non factor for so long gives fans optimism. The front office cares about winning because...$$$$$$$$$$$. Every owner in the league wants to be playing games at their arenas into June. They aren't striving to win so I get a warm feeling in my heart.

The Mild keep making $$$$$$$$$ because the fans keep buying tickets whether the team wins or loses, so there isn't an incentive to improve the team more than they have to. "Hometown Boy" Zach Parise is playing for the "State of Hockey", so that means we have to get season tickets and go to every game. Last year, I was arguing that Parise and Suter should have signed with a real playoff contender and not an annual pretender. I hope the Mild become something more, but I am not holding my breath.

Not overly fond of the Cooke move but I don't think the wild crapped the bed this year. They made the playoffs and were beat by the eventual cup champs. They have a promising team with some of those youngsters. Cooke is a POS but he also has NHL talent so whatever's whatever. Guy is a decent third/fourth liner.

Also, I heard that the wilds bottom line would be negative if they didn't make it out of the first round (due to the parise/suter signings) so, if true, they really need to make the playoffs.

Not overly fond of the Cooke move but I don't think the wild crapped the bed this year. They made the playoffs and were beat by the eventual cup champs. They have a promising team with some of those youngsters. Cooke is a POS but he also has NHL talent so whatever's whatever. Guy is a decent third/fourth liner.

Also, I heard that the wilds bottom line would be negative if they didn't make it out of the first round (due to the parise/suter signings) so, if true, they really need to make the playoffs.

I am talking about the entire history of this franchise, not last year. I think they have some pieces in place to become an annual playoff contender, but I will believe it when I see it. Doug Risebrough did a lot of damage to this franchise and it will take time to clean it up. Whether it will happen or not is the question.

I am talking about the entire history of this franchise, not last year. I think they have some pieces in place to become an annual playoff contender, but I will believe it when I see it. Doug Risebrough did a lot of damage to this franchise and it will take time to clean it up. Whether it will happen or not is the question.

Agreed...not a huge wild fan but do cheer for former und players. I also like some of their youngsters.

There's a reason he was in the dog house in Vancouver. He's not very good.

As the opening day of free agency went along, me and a buddy were texting all of the signings that were being reported. At one point I got a text that said "Matt Cooke to the Bruins". I can't even begin to explain how fast I found a computer and started frantically searching to see if this was true. I've been a huge Bruin fan since I was a little guy and during that time players have come and gone. I seriously started questioning if I could continue being a fan.

It'll be interesting to see and hear if (and how long it'll take) before the Wild fans start making excuses and rationalizing all the stuff this guy does. I see someone above in this thread already threw out the new standard "He's changed his game and doesn't play that way anymore - that's all in the past". Keith Ballard also went there on KFAN today as well with Russo. Good luck with that. It's only a matter of time and he'll be in the center of another headshot, blown knee, etc. and Shanahan will be reviewing the footage.

MafiaMan - were you eluding to Ballard about not having interest in coming back to Minnesota? I'd like to hear where you heard this or what is the reason for that?

• Upvote 2

It'll be interesting to see and hear if (and how long it'll take) before the Wild fans start making excuses and rationalizing all the stuff this guy does. I see someone above in this thread already threw out the new standard "He's changed his game and doesn't play that way anymore - that's all in the past".

I write for the Hockey Wilderness, it's going to be hard, I can't stand Cooke, I will never make any excuses for that guy... I despise him. I don't care if he's changed his game, he's a dirty players based on his body of work, over the years, his antics are inexcusable. do we just forget all of his bush league play over the years?

• Upvote 1

I write for the Hockey Wilderness, it's going to be hard, I can't stand Cooke, I will never make any excuses for that guy... I despise him. I don't care if he's changed his game, he's a dirty players based on his body of work, over the years, his antics are inexcusable. do we just forget all of his bush league play over the years?

No, we do not!

There's a reason he was in the dog house in Vancouver. He's not very good.

If you are talking about Ballard some Canuck fans I have talked too would definitely argue that. They put a lot of blame on Vigneault jerking Ballard around and never letting him settle into a role. They said for the first couple weeks of this season he and another player were their best pair of d-men but then Vigneault broke them up and both struggled for a while. They think the Wild got a steal in Ballard especially for the price and think he will play more like he did in Florida.

If you are talking about Ballard some Canuck fans I have talked too would definitely argue that. They put a lot of blame on Vigneault jerking Ballard around and never letting him settle into a role. They said for the first couple weeks of this season he and another player were their best pair of d-men but then Vigneault broke them up and both struggled for a while. They think the Wild got a steal in Ballard especially for the price and think he will play more like he did in Florida.

Steal?? We'll see I guess.