SiouxSports.com Forum

Title Game

jk

Wow.  Great game.

The Gophers are a great team and are deserving champions, but I thought they got outplayed for a big part of that game (mainly the second and third periods).  I was shocked to see that.

They won't admit it or care because they won, but to get the PP when everything had been let go was a huge break.  Then to not have a penalty called on Hauser on a much more blatant play was another huge break.  The Maine fans are probably too classy to complain about it, but it really was a lousy way for a great game to end.

Also Taffe only getting two for almost killing the guy along the boards.

I'm happy for some fans, and some players (Leo, Pohl, some others), and really not happy for those hacks Hauser and Taffe.

Yeah, I can't believe they called that penalty, and that ended the game.  Then Hauser sticking his arm into Maine player.  I would have just wished the refs would have let them play and the game didn't have to end on a power play goal.  It was a good game and I had a feeling MN would tie it in the final minutes like UND did last year.

Haven't seen much yet since it's on tape, but did watch the last part of OT. Call on Schutte was fine, since he definitely stuck his leg out; pretty blatant. But not calling Hauser's butt end seconds into the PP was horrible. You've got to be willing to even it up when you make a call on one team. Not a good ending to a good game. Will see the rest tomorrow.

Glad to see Leo and Pohl get one also. Major error by Pit, however, in not letting the teams decide it even strength when Hauser gave him an obvious chance.

Dave I question your team loyalties, you sound more like a Gopher fan than a Sioux fan, however, please don't come on here and tell UND fans how we need to think, some UND fans will never support other schools in our conference. I really don't think UND fans need to be lectured on how to think.

That being said I really don't care who won period. But Maine did get jobbed by the non-call on Hauser in over time honestly. The call on Schutte was appropriate but the non-call on Hauser was Busch league.

I am sick of the fact that my phone has wrung from band wagon gopher fans telling how great UofM is and how great Hauser is.

I'm not much of supporter of any so-called Sioux fan that diss's other Sioux fans, no matter how outrageous they may get (including anyone on the uscho board). Don't agree with getting totally out of hand but I'll never jump into the thread ragging on the Sioux fan in order to please the opponent's fans (that goes especially for the gophs).

If I ever see my "handle" in a goph fans post as a "reasonable" Sioux fan, I'll hurl on the spot :)

Nice to see 'em get a title in a Sioux off year, but I'll dislike them as much as ever by next October.

I'm not much of supporter of any so-called Sioux fan that diss's other Sioux fans, no matter how outrageous they may get (including anyone on the uscho board). Don't agree with getting totally out of hand but I'll never jump into the thread ragging on the Sioux fan in order to please the opponent's fans (that goes especially for the gophs).

If I ever see my "handle" in a goph fans post as a "reasonable" Sioux fan, I'll hurl on the spot :)

Nice to see 'em get a title in a Sioux off year, but I'll dislike them as much as ever by next October.

Ditto, what sprig said. And I agree with the guy that said that Grey_Eagle was a good guy.

Dagies,

Speaking from experience as an attendee at the 1997 Frozen Four in Milwaukee, I can tell you there is nothing like the experience of seeing your team win it all.  

One of the funnier moments of that weekend was after the first period, I went into the men's restroom and a Maine fan was doing his duty in the urinal next to mine.  At the time, it was 2-0 Boston U and UND was clearly getting outplayed.  He looked over at me in my Sioux jersey and says, "Better pick it up, Sioux...I don't wanna see Boston win."  I replied, "No problem, I guarantee a win."  Of course, I was a little down, but I had faith.  UND went on a tear in the 2nd period and held on in the third period to win 6-4 and after the empty net goal sealed the deal, twelve of my college buddies and I went nuts in the stands.  A few moments later, I ran into the same Maine fan outside the arena, walked over to him and said, "I TOLD YOU WE HAD NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!".  He smiled and extended his congrats and we went our separate ways.  

That was five years ago...several of those twelve friends I have not seen since that day Easter weekend of 1997, but I will never forget the hugs and high fives we exchanged after the Sioux title.

MafiaMan

After watching Minnesota win their first title since '79 (and UND's 6th place finish).  I realize how much, I for one, have been taking UND's championships and success lately for granted.  

They (gopher fans) are still in shock, many want autographs, photos, tapes of the game, all the websites mentioning the championship game, magazines, making scrap books, etc.  These are simple observations from prideonice and usho.

I'm glad they won, now we hopefully won't have to hear so many, we don't need championships, we have tradition comments, and the at least we don't have 27 year old Canadians.  Instead they can simply say 2002 National Champs.  And make the rivalry even more great.

I will definately cherish UND's next championship.

This Gopher fan went to his first game in 1975 as a nine year old.  Championships (or good runs) were just part of being a fan then.  I can't say I enjoyed the 23 year span but I can say it made it all the more sweeter.

I'll never take this feeling for granted, guarenteed.