SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Season

SWSiouxMN

I think the WCHA women's league needs to consider going to a 21 game league schedule. It is definitely doing with travel pairs UND-BSU, MSU-SCSU, UM-UMD with only UW-OSU being a stretch. This would really help the league builds its schedule strength and help teams make the NCAAs. It's also disappointing to see Lindenwood on the schedule again. That really puts a lot of pressure on winning those games out at Clarkson.

• 3 months later...

http://www.uscho.com...-i-womens-poll/

http://www.usahockey...college-hockey#

Two pre-season polls. UND under-ranked in both in my opinion. Surely in the USCHO poll. I know prognosticators are considering the twins graduation but I think UND will have one of the higher powered offenses just the same. Goaltending must sustain the level of play exhibited in the 2013 post season. A necessity. Appears the position may have been fortified. Very good young D will have to adjust fairly quickly to fill the large role played by Monique in the D zone. Have that capability, ultimately I believe.

It was easy to see that Pursuit of Excellence was outmatched last night, being the high school kids that they were. UND had more goals than POE had shots on goal, but it was still interesting to see all the new names and how the team might look post-Lamoureux.

Also fun fact, for the exhibition, they ran a full 5 minute 4v4 overtime and a shootout.

It'll be interesting to see how they do against a legit opponent. They certainly sound good from the first two games. Hopefully they can keep this balanced scoring against better teams...I think one of their main issues the past few seasons is that teams could just focus on shutting down the twins.

Tapani = ROTY?

UND picked up the sweep with a 6-1 win. Susanna Tapani is the real deal. 6 point weekend and she looked very confident throughout. This team looks like it might do some damage this year, there is a lot of firepower offensively and the D seems improved.

It's too bad they didn't have some of the freshmen defense last year that they have this year. I really think Hirschy and Kryzaniak (?) could be the extra difference makers at defense that they didn't have last year. Might even have allowed Monique to play forward more last year. Really like the way they move the puck. They really look like they have a solid foundation for the future.

I watched both games against Lindenwood, and yes Lindenwood is a really young program, but the UND women were impressive. Their positioning play, passing, and control of the game was outstanding, very impressive. The breakouts did not consist of one good player grabbing the puck and skating it down the ice, but were good breakout plays to players being in position to get the pass and move it quickly up the ice. It is easy to get sloppy when playing a lesser team and that did not appear to happen in either game. The only slight downside comment I have is that they shot it into the goalie quite a bit, but that can easily improve as the season progresses. A lot of speed and depth on this team. Idalski and his staff deserve a ton of credit. And yes, a number of the newcomers look like they are going to be very good.

I will be very happy if the guys look that good against Manitoba in the exhibition game.

I watched the game online to prepare for tomorrow's mens game. It was interesting. At intermission it was like the camera was just on the video board and the mics were hot. Someone spilled their coke...

What was the overall quality of the webcast?

For me the video was decent, but the audio was very hard to hear. I switched to the radio feed and that was fine, but the audio on the webcast was very soft. Hopefully won't be a problem for the men's games. The video loses a little bit when you go to full screen, not sure how it would look on TV since I was just watching on the laptop. Looking forward to see if the HD is a reality for the men, since the women's games aren't shot in HD for webcast. (Although I'd guess maybe the ones that air on Midco will be). I also have MLB.tv, so I know what the capabilities of my machine are, and I'm excited about HD webcast.

I was at both games, the LU goalie kept the score from getting out of hand both nights. I think UND has lots of positives coming into the season. Tapani is the real deal. The Karvinen line was on fire but couldn't bury the puck. Only problem might be taking too many penalties.

I had it up on my tv. It wasn't HD, but I thought it was good quality. I will agree with the audio being quiet, especially in the third period on Saturday. It was almost like they forgot to turn it back up after intermission. Can't wait to see it in HD, with all the traffic of a men's game

I took my family to their first Women's game this weekend and I have to say I am very impressed with the Women's team. They play well together and they get physical with the other team when they need to...its pure hockey and it was really impressive to see the good chemistry they have already at the start of the season. The European players are pretty special and they looked like they could give a lot of teams in the WCHA fits this year! Great job Ladies on your weekend sweep!