SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Changes

siouxfan68

Women's basketball announces staff changes

University of North Dakota Head Women's Basketball Coach Travis Brewster welcomes back a former standout and has promoted a current staff member while also bringing in two new faces for his staff for the 2013-14 campaign. UND alums Mallory Youngblut (2007-11) and Valerie Sussex (Sannes) (2003-07) have been appointed assistant coaches, along with Brent Pollari, while Jackie Voigt has been named the new director of basketball operations.

Sayavongchanh recently accepted a similar position at Saint Louis University, while Woods and Dryburgh departed to pursue other career opportunities.

This sounds severe. Does anyone have any inside knowledge about what is going on with WBB?

Women's basketball announces staff changes

This sounds severe. Does anyone have any inside knowledge about what is going on with WBB?

Last season pretty much proved that the WBB program has seriously declined from the heights of winning three straight D-II titles in the 1990's. It can be argued that, for the first time in 20 years, the MBB program is in better shape than the WBB program. In order to climb out of this hole, serious reconstructive surgery is needed and I am impressed that Brewster is willing to do the dirty work to get the program back to winning. I am thinking that the final years of the Roebuck regime were not good ones for the program; now it's time to build a program that can win conference titles and get to the Big Dance once in a while.

What a mess that program looks like lately. If I'm Faison I put Brewster on a short lease with all the movement that seems to be going on.

All of these coaches except Sannes (who was BB of Operations) were hired by the current coach - - not Roebuck.

Sannes was director of basketball operations when Roebuck coached - and this position is not a coach.

Maybe it is time to quit blaming Roebuck - for all the departures including players and holding the current coach for his actions.

Maybe we should be thanking him for all the hard work in taking the program through the Division I transition - he could have easily made the decision to leave before or during the transition. Coaches and those close to the program can attest to the difficult work of the transition - - not sure the normal fan has a clue.

This program now is in the hands of Coach Brewster - being an assistant is alot different than being the head coach - let's see how he handles it.