SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Volleyball Season

SWSiouxMN

Figured it was time to start the new thread for 2013

UND hopes to improve on their 15-17 (10-10 Big Sky) record and their first round exit in the Big Sky tourney. For a team that had 16 of its 20 members as underclassman, last season had its ups and downs, and never seemed to get consistent. The good news is all 20 are slated to come back and appears to have had a solid spring season.

Incoming Recruits for 2013:

DS Candice Yager (St. Michael-Albertville HS, Albertville, MN)

OH Anna Pioske (Waconia HS, Waconia, MN)

OH Kellie Schmit (Kindred HS, Kindred, ND)

Schedule:

20 Big Sky conference games (home/home with each team)

NDSU

Texas A&M (Fall tourney)

Big XII team (Fall tourney) "Got this from the spring volleyball recap http://www.undsports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=207501362"

With the experience coming back for Year 2 in the Big Sky, I fully expect the record to improve and to be a contender for the conference crown next year

I went to the UND-NDSU game last year, it was the first time I ever saw volleyball in person and it was great. Of course UND sweeping the Bison made it even better. I hope to get up to a game (hopefully the NDSU game) at the Betty.

I made it to the UND at UNC match this last fall and really enjoyed it. It was a tough loss where they were in the first couple games but just couldn't get the W.

I'm excited to see them again out in Colorado. This is why I love the BigSky and wish DU would have been added as an Olympic member... more chances to see UND sports!

coach said the big 12 team was nationally ranked.... here are last years rankings... any idea who? My guess is Iowa State.

1 Texas (60) 29-4

2 Oregon 30-5

3 Penn State 33-3

4 Stanford 30-4

5 Michigan 27-12

6 Southern California 30-6

7 Nebraska 26-7

8 Minnesota 27-8

9 Washington 25-7

10 Florida 27-5

11 Hawaii 27-3

12 BYU 28-4

13 UCLA 23-8

14 Iowa State 22-8

15 Purdue 23-11

16 Michigan State 23-10

17 Louisville 30-4

18 Florida State 28-4

19 Dayton 27-5

20 Kentucky 22-11

21 Western Kentucky 33-4

22 Ohio State 23-11

23 Wichita State 24-10

24 Creighton 29-4

25 Kansas 26-7

I'm hoping it's Kansas. I can't speak for their volleyball prowess but that would be quite the pair of name brands to be coming to the Betty next fall.

Just for a Top 25 program to agree to come to a UND tournament shows how much UND's program has advanced in terms of how other coaches view it. A Top 25 team simply will not go to a tournament full of RPI killers. With the program down south in the dumps, they can't even dream of hosting a tournament like this now.

I think it must be Iowa St, as UND has had spring matches against them (and was very competitive) so the coaches are very familiar with each other. Iowa State also has more volleyball prestige than Kansas, so it would help attract a very good 4th team.

It can't be Texas, the defending national champion, as they would never play Texas A&M in a tournament outside the state of Texas and definitely not in Grand Forks.

Surprised that Oklahoma St doesn't even sponsor women's volleyball.

If you didn't read or watch the vb recap, the ladies had a very good spring. Taking games from the likes of Minnesota, Iowa State, and Northern Iowa. one of the games we won we had I believe all freshman on the floor. I'm guessing the other programs tend to do the same, but these tend to be ranked teams so some very nice wins.

Sept 6 - 7

@ Middle Tennessee St

vs Virginia Tech

vs Austin Peay

http://www.hokiespor...0130507aaa.html

(Virginia) Tech will follow that up with a road tournament, Sept. 6-7, at Middle Tennessee, facing Austin Peay and North Dakota in addition to the host team.

-----------------------------------------

Earlier I wrote that I didn't think NDSU could the quality of tournament that UND will have with Iowa State and Texas A&M. I'm wrong on that:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/050613aaa.html

NDSU, Wisconsin, Louisville, N Iowa Sept 6-7 in Fargo

• 5 weeks later...

Iowa St announced it's vball schedule:

8/30 - 8/31 @ North Dakota tournament

SDSU, Texas A&M, UND

All three games for UND should be good draws.

NDSU at home this year, too, right? Any other OOC games known?

Most teams in our conference have put out their schedules, so we now have a rough idea on what our schedule will look like conference wise for next year

9/20 @ MONT ST

9/21 @ MONT

9/26 Weber

9/28 Idaho State

10/3 @ NAU

10/5 @ Sac State

10/7 @ UNC

10/10 EWU

10/12 PSU

10/17 @ SUU

10/24 MONT

10/26 MONT ST

10/31 @ Idaho State

11/2 @ Weber

11/8 UNC

11/9 PSU

11/11 NAU

11/14 @ PSU

11/16 @ EWU

11/23 SUU

http://www.aggiesports.com/volleyball/article_cd7d6ee1-0b31-5793-9d96-e8d12aa230b1.html

The Aggies return one starter and nine other letter winners who helped A&M win the SEC Western Division, advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament and finish 25-6 in 2012. Corbelli also returns two redshirt freshmen and three true freshmen, who will make their Aggie debut August 30-31 at the North Dakota Tournament in Grand Forks, N.D.

The Aggies open the 2013 campaign against South Dakota State on August 30 and then take on former Big 12 Conference foe and NCAA region finalist Iowa State and tournament host North Dakota on August 31.

"What I really like about this opening tournament is, No. 1, it's one of the first years in many, many years that we have started our season on the road and it is a great test for the team," Corbelli said. "I also love the fact that Allie Sawatzky (of Manitoba, Canada), our player from farthest away, will be near home so that and many of her family and friends will be able to see her play collegiate ball for the first time. It's really important to her, which means it is important to our team."

Probably strongest VB tournament ever at UND

Aug. 30-31 — at North Dakota Tournament

Friday, Aug. 30

SDSU vs Iowa St, 11 a.m.

Texas A&M vs. South Dakota State, 5 p.m.

Iowa St at North Dakota, 7 p.m

Saturday, Aug. 31

Texas A&M vs. Iowa State, 10 a.m.

SDSU at North Dakota, 1 p.m. ?* - time not announced yet

Texas A&M at North Dakota, 7 p.m.

Forgive me for this, but NDSU just came out with their volleyball schedule today and it is an absolutely incredible schedule.

vs Wichita St (ranked)

vs Arizona St (NCAA tournament team)

@ Utah Valley

Home vs N Iowa (ranked)

Home vs Wisconsin (NCAA tournament)

Home vs Louisville (top 8 team)

vs Notre Dame (NCAA tournament)

vs Georgia

@ Kansas (ranked)

But with a lineup of mostly freshman with just four returnees (after many players transferred), getting one non-conference win may be fortunate for them. Their program could crash and burn this year. It could take another decade to build their schedule up to this level again.

A bit more from Texas A&M's coach:

http://wtaw.com/2013...edule-released/

What I really like about this opening tournament is ... the variety of teams that we will see. Really big teams, very fast teams. Iowa State has some of the best ball control and defense you’ll see in the country. North Dakota is very fast at the net and very scrappy. They went five sets with No. 5 USC last year at our tournament. Going into that tournament, we hope to get away from the stress and the pressure of wanting to win and instead focus on what can we learn from this tournament so that it helps us in the SEC, because I think those teams are all great models of SEC teams in different ways.”

NDSU at home this year, too, right? Any other OOC games known?

NDSU @ UND will be Monday, September 30th at 7 pm at the Betty.

• 1 month later...

Scheduleis official. Great opening tournament at Betty with Iowa St, SDSU, and Texas A&M. But dang it I won't be able to go since it's Labor Day weekend.

Articleon it.

The second away tournament this year will be pretty weak: Tulane, Tx Southern, Fl A&M.

With a good first weekend, they have a reasonable chance of going through the non-conference season undefeated.

Next year's home tournament will likely be: South Dakota, Tulane, Middle Tennessee St. Not nearly as good as this year's Iowa St, Tx A&M, and SDSU.