SiouxSports.com Forum

What conference will the other Dakotas be in 2015?

SiouxVolley

Where do the other Dakotas go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the other Dakotas go?

• Summit League will survive
    • Merge with the Horizon Leauge
    • The MVC will take pity on them and save the MVFC
    • Big Sky will take them in
    • The WAC will add them
    • Somewhere else. (make comments)
    • Independents except football

The Summit can lose their men's basketball autobid if they don't get to six baseball teams or if they don't have at least seven full members (Omaha won't count for a couple more years until they finish their transition). In Baseball, the Summit doesn't have enough members now if Oakland leaves (NDSU, SDSU, Omaha, W Ill, IPFW) and UND and UNC won't be joining. In full membership, the MVC grabbed another Horizon team, so the Horizon needs to add two members, likely from the Summit League. The Atlantic 10 could still steal members from the Horizon (like Detroit or Valparaiso or Cleveland), which could force the Horizon to raid the Summit even deeper. There is also talk that the Horizon could lose two more - Illinois-Chicago and Valpo - to the MVC if the Missouri Valley decides to go all in on the Chicago area and go to 12 members.

With the Horizon League being a much richer conference than the Summit (HL has a TV contract and has Butlers NCAA credits going out for at least four more years that are worth millions), practically any Summit League team would leave for there in a minute.

So what will happen?

Almost would feel sorry for these fans if they get relegated to independence (but then again, UND would be able to clean up on Minnesota basketball and volleyball recruiting.)

I say a merge with what's left of the Horizon league. Douple will do anything to keep his conference alive (of course not adding UND and UNC was a huge blunder on his part).

A league merger would likely cost Douple his job. Don't see him giving up his position.

More likely the Summit becomes the new move-up league. Adding teams like NJIT and DII move-ups.

A league merger would likely cost Douple his job. Don't see him giving up his position.

More likely the Summit becomes the new move-up league. Adding teams like NJIT and DII move-ups.

He would be the bitch of the Horizon League Commissioner. :lol: " Hey Douple get me my coffee"

• Upvote 1

Big Sky adds all three. West coast teams are furious and join the WAC. We're left with us, Montana, MSU, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNC, NAU, Idaho, Idaho State, Weber State, and SUU.

I have to admit that would be pretty awesome. Are you thinking UC-Davis, Portland St., Cal Poly, and Sac. St. would still be in the Sky for football?

I see the Summit and Horizon eventually merging.

I just don't see the Summit willfully giving up their autobid. It will die a slow painful death. Additionally, the Horizon won't want to take on all of the remaining members of the Summit and would probably just pick and choose several to get back to a respectable number.

I could see the Summit becoming like a Great West where it's just a random collection of schools just for the sake of a scheduling alliance but now with an autobid.

I just don't see the Summit willfully giving up their autobid. It will die a slow painful death. Additionally, the Horizon won't want to take on all of the remaining members of the Summit and would probably just pick and choose several to get back to a respectable number.

I could see the Summit becoming like a Great West where it's just a random collection of schools just for the sake of a scheduling alliance but now with an autobid.

they would have to keep their membership number up to retain the autobid, wouldnt' they?

The WAC took in most of the Great West schools, and the WAC would have an exit fee and maybe forced on them a several year commitment. Only NJIT is left to pick up.

Can't see Horizon schools choosing the Summit when that means the Horizon schools have to pay an exit fee and lose out on an 1/8th share of Butler's $4 mill NCAA credits for the next 4 years.

The Horizon going to pick schools based on markets: even UMKC and Omaha would get looks before the Dakota's or W Ill. The Dakota's could be hung out to dry with other DII schools or be forced into the WAC, which would likely take them. Maybe there could be a deal with an eastern or southern league that will need teams too.

Don't forget about DII schools close to the SL tourney like St. Cloud, Mankato State, and Augy.

They would need to be DI within two years rather than the four year transition required, which the NCAA probably wouldn't allow, otherwise the Summit would be short of DI members.

Happen to think the situation is pretty bleak for the other Dakotas.

Thank God for a stable Big Sky. :)

The WAC took in most of the Great West schools, and the WAC would have an exit fee and maybe forced on them a several year commitment. Only NJIT is left to pick up.

Can't see Horizon schools choosing the Summit when that means the Horizon schools have to pay an exit fee and lose out on an 1/8th share of Butler's $4 mill NCAA credits for the next 4 years.

The Horizon going to pick schools based on markets: even UMKC and Omaha would get looks before the Dakota's or W Ill. The Dakota's could be hung out to dry with other DII schools or be forced into the WAC, which would likely take them. Maybe there could be a deal with an eastern or southern league that will need teams too.

I wonder if the Big Sky would welcome the SU's over the WAC? I don't see them (BSC) inviting USD.

I wonder if the Big Sky would welcome the SU's over the WAC? I don't see them (BSC) inviting USD.

Could see them adding them for football, but adding them for other sports just limits how often any school can go to the Big Dance. With the rate FCS schools are moving to FBS, the Big Sky and FCS championship might be one and the same.