SiouxSports.com Forum

Jump to FBS

GeauxSioux

Really are you 12 years old? If I had a AD that looks yours I'd stay away from things like this.

Uh, isn't the board you normally haunt famous for their look-a-likes thread, for example: http://www.bisonvill...rd-Look-A-Likes .

Put another way: Dan, your house is glass, put down the rock.

Here's the million dollar question....if NDSU does an FBS study does UND follow? Or has the "rivalry" especially in football been tainted so much that it doesn't matter anymore, and UND stays in the Big Sky.

Moving FBS is a very individual thing. You won't see large groups of schools doing it together for obvious reasons. 1) you need a conference invite 2) Larger group, greater competition for limited openings.

A school will likely not get a conference invite until after they have declared their plan and desire to go FBS, and it might even take a few years after the move for the invite to come. Moving FBS is a risky proposition as you make the commitment, then hope to get scooped up. If two schools go together, they might be competing for 1 opening. I don't think you'll see UND/NDSU or NDSU/SDSU joining gether for a move to FBS . . . it will likely involve timing and individual decisions. The AD at NDSU has talked about signs and triggers . . . I would guess those triggers in Fargo would be any movement by top football conference mates UNI, IL State, S IL or MO State. Those would likely be triggers for NDSU. I would expect any decision to go FBS to be done alone (or following one of the conf mates), hoping for a MAC invite.

Moving FBS is a very individual thing. You won't see large groups of schools doing it together for obvious reasons. 1) you need a conference invite 2) Larger group, greater competition for limited openings.

A school will likely not get a conference invite until after they have declared their plan and desire to go FBS, and it might even take a few years after the move for the invite to come. Moving FBS is a risky proposition as you make the commitment, then hope to get scooped up. If two schools go together, they might be competing for 1 opening. I don't think you'll see UND/NDSU or NDSU/SDSU joining gether for a move to FBS . . . it will likely involve timing and individual decisions. The AD at NDSU has talked about signs and triggers . . . I would guess those triggers in Fargo would be any movement by top football conference mates UNI, IL State, S IL or MO State. Those would likely be triggers for NDSU. I would expect any decision to go FBS to be done alone (or following one of the conf mates), hoping for a MAC invite.

The trigger for UND would be in the Montanas.

As has been stated in this thread already, UND needs to keep building great facilities for all of athletics and putting resources into football.

rumor is that when WKU moves to cusa, JMU will get a sunbelt invite. If so, winners of 8 of the last 15 titles will no longer be in the division. I can definitely see some of the other east coast school getting trigger happy, and Delaware will be a team to watch as they are already being named as a potential realignment target in basketball.

UMASS

GSU x2

WKY

JMU

ASU x3

unless you are BCS type school any move to FBS would be silly. playing for a trip to the bic pen bowl in billings, montana versus playing for an actual championship-should be no debate.

Its an interesting debate. While I don't disagree with you, the "bic pen bowl" would probably got better ratings than any FCS playoff game last year. McFeely had an interesting interview yesterday with the play by play guy from Georgia Southern yesterday. He had some interesting insight as to why GSU was making the move when they did. I haven't looked but I'm sure its on podcast today.

I think it sucks about Idaho. I really felt that if their football program would have landed in the Big Sky in the next few years, that it would have solidified stability among the conference's membership for many moons to come.

I thought there might be a chance they would come back because they realized they can't compete at the higher level and are tired of 3-9 seasons, but I guess it's hard on the ego to backtrack which is understandable.

I know I'll get slammed for this, but I'm not sure any FCS team should be considering making the investment into FBS football. The BCS will break off, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. When that happens there will be little to nothing left in terms of tv deals for the have nots. We should just stay in the Sky and play lower-tier football against good regional teams and concentrate on building up our basketball and hockey programs, as they are the most likely to bring national attention to UND's athletic program. I love UND football and will always be a fan, but lets be honest, it's not likely to go anywhere.

• Upvote 1

unless you are BCS type school any move to FBS would be silly. playing for a trip to the bic pen bowl in billings, montana versus playing for an actual championship-should be no debate.

I think all but 3 bowl games this year, even the worst of the worst, had higher ratings than ANY FCS playoff game. The FCS title game wasn't even close to having the amount of viewers one of the FCS quarterfinal games had. IIRC every bowl game had higher ratings than the FCS Championship game. I need to find the link for the viewing numbers again....

I know I'll get slammed for this, but I'm not sure any FCS team should be considering making the investment into FBS football. The BCS will break off, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. When that happens there will be little to nothing left in terms of tv deals for the have nots. We should just stay in the Sky and play lower-tier football against good regional teams and concentrate on building up our basketball and hockey programs, as they are the most likely to bring national attention to UND's athletic program. I love UND football and will always be a fan, but lets be honest, it's not likely to go anywhere.

why is the bsc going to break off again? whats the motivation?

on the contrary money is about to flood into every level of FBS college football.

why is the bsc going to break off again? whats the motivation?

on the contrary money is about to flood into every level of FBS college football.

You know how much money the NCAA makes off TV money for the basketball tournament? The big conferences are going to do the math and realize they can do their own 16-team or so tournament for football and make big bucks as well. And they won't have to share it with the smaller conferences.