SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 flood

darell1976

BTW America was founded/built way back in the day on establishing cities/towns next to rivers and waterways for obvious reasons. Fargo being built next to the Red wasn't a novel concept.

Exactly! If the diversion opponents think we should move Fargo out of the flood plain, then I welcome their ideas for making it happen. But I think the price tag would make everyone blush.

Fight a flood every year? Looks like you got tired of flooding and you build a system to prevent it. It's a pain in the ass to fight a flood every year. I grew up on a farm so don't get me started about paying for it myself BS. Farmers get subsidized: electricity, phone, water, fuel, sales tax, not to mention the farm bill. So that little dike is well paid for by the taxpayers. Biggest factor IMO is how well farmers have manicured their land in the valley to drain into the ditches. As soon as the colverts open the fields are all drained. 20 years ago those fields would hold the water for a week or more.

What is a "colvert"?

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts and prayers to the people of Cavalier, Pembina County, and others affected by this rain that doesn't end. Hoping the dam holds and doesn't wipe out Cavalier.

Yeah, they were going to evacuate Cavalier yesterday and the coulees and dams were pretty full and hopefully it stops raining for a few weeks to let everything dry up.

4.5"-5" of rain in south Fargo since yesterday late afternoon. Parts of Clay Co. got 7"+. Although nothing serious, a flood warning was issued in Cass and Clay. On the bright side more heavy rain forecasted next couple days was well. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Poured again last night. Since Friday night 4.75" @ my house in south Fargo. 6.5" @ Oxbow. 7+" @ Casselton.

Red to hit 31+' on Saturday!

Crazy.

I noticed that on my way back from Fergus Falls, MN on Sunday that there is a lot of rain in the ditches and coulees that’s coming to the Red River. I would imagine that the Red River in Fargo and Grand Forks will be high for the next week. Going to be a very wet summer I think.

The mosquitos are going to be horrible...hopefully we can get a couple weeks of hot and dry weather to soak up all this rain.

They're already bad at the house, when it's not windy. Yikes...

• 2 months later...

The issue is that there were options that were half the price, but the political price was too high. When the US Federal government is taking on ridiculous debt, why whould Clay County or Moorhead dictate that the cheapest option can not be done, but citizens south of Fargo have no say with a diversion that is twice as expensive? A diversion around Moorhead is cheaper by nearly 50%, but Clay County politicians were dead set against it even if Fargo, N Dakota, and the Feds paid for it. Throw in a nicer hockey arena as a blatant bribe to Moorhead, and maybe the goverment and taxpayers would still be ahead by nearly a billion dollars. Effectively, this diversion version of the Fargo flood protection is $1 billion more than what could have happened if politicians just agreed to use tax payer money wisely and actually give FM protection earlier.

When the Feds tell Fargo it's a no go on the diversion. They'll break out the bubbly. Sales tax dollars galor to play with. How much of a financial burden will this be to Fargo if one is built.? Maybe I'm wrong and one is wanted and needed.

Article in todays Herald about Fargo downtown high rise and public money got me thinking. Great post SiouxVolley.

• 4 years later...
On May 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The issue is that there were options that were half the price, but the political price was too high. When the US Federal government is taking on ridiculous debt, why whould Clay County or Moorhead dictate that the cheapest option can not be done, but citizens south of Fargo have no say with a diversion that is twice as expensive? A diversion around Moorhead is cheaper by nearly 50%, but Clay County politicians were dead set against it even if Fargo, N Dakota, and the Feds paid for it. Throw in a nicer hockey arena as a blatant bribe to Moorhead, and maybe the goverment and taxpayers would still be ahead by nearly a billion dollars. Effectively, this diversion version of the Fargo flood protection is $1 billion more than what could have happened if politicians just agreed to use tax payer money wisely and actually give FM protection earlier.

Fargo officials over the past few years have given themselves a pat on the back saying we waited patiently for flood $ so other cities could protect their city b4 us. Fargo got about 3, 4 or 5 times what other cities got. It paid to wait 800,000 worth of  wait. Heitkeimp says they never had the proper approval. He was on the radio saying this for as long as the diversion was talked about. They heard him. He told them. Minnesota has called their bluff. 

If the Feds were not going to contribute and  Al Carlson said no more $ from the state. Fargo must be breathing a sigh of relief. As Dave Peipkorn said the diversion could bankrupt the city of Fargo. What was the plan?   SiouxVolley

On April 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM, North Dakota said:

I'm saying Fargo could have solved their problem a long time ago. They chose not to!

Four years ago you posted this. About 3/4th of a billion state tax dollars have gone to Fargo. The rest of the state has had a properly tax increase and a 20% cut at there university. It doesn't look  like Fargo is worried about paying for a diversion with all the tax payer funded buildings being built. But it all can be explained because you can walk and chew gum at the same time. You can spin just about anything.

Press reports say Fargo has never had the proper permits to build a diversion. 

Sioux Volley what's your take on this? Past and future. Earlier you had good thoughts.

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

Four years ago you posted this. About 3/4th of a billion state tax dollars have gone to Fargo. The rest of the state has had a properly tax increase and a 20% cut at there university. It doesn't look  like Fargo is worried about paying for a diversion with all the tax payer funded buildings being built. But it all can be explained because you can walk and chew gum at the same time. You can spin just about anything.

Press reports say Fargo has never had the proper permits to build a diversion. 

Sioux Volley what's your take on this? Past and future. Earlier you had good thoughts.

You live in Fargo?

8 minutes ago, moser53 said:

It sure seems true--Republicans fall in line- Democrats fall in love 

So is the diversion a state project or mostly funded as a local project?  The Fargo city commission has been ramrodding projects through for a few years.

Also, while there are current projects being built in Fargo, a lot of the private projects are beginning to slow.  Not much of lending going on in that area now. 

Honestly, from a 72 mile view, Grand Forks' problem has been the good old boy network in city gov't..  An example of that would be keeping Sanford out of town.  They have brought more to the city of Fargo and NDSU than any business in town yet UND keeps them out.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, homer said:

So is the diversion a state project or mostly funded as a local project?  The Fargo city commission has been ramrodding projects through for a few years.

Also, while there are current projects being built in Fargo, a lot of the private projects are beginning to slow.  Not much of lending going on in that area now. 

Honestly, from a 72 mile view, Grand Forks' problem has been the good old boy network in city gov't..  An example of that would be keeping Sanford out of town.  They have brought more to the city of Fargo and NDSU than any business in town yet UND keeps them out.

The good ol boy network is very real and it has very real consequences to Grand Forks’ growth.

• Upvote 3