SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Fighting Sioux Trademark Laws

Cratter

Would you? Hard to know. Probably depends on the number distributed and the publicity you get. Could you? Probably yes if that is part of the reason that you make money. If the logo was only seen in one or 2 pictures they may not care. If they are a significant part of every picture it would increase the odds that UND would be interested.

They more than likely still have trademark rights on most of the old logos. It could depend on which one or ones that you use. The name alone would be enough to cause an issue.

UND probably wouldn't want to license something like this, but you would have to ask to know for sure. The sexist part might be a partial reason. A bigger reason might be because UND is phasing out the name and logo, so they may not be signing any more licensing agreements for them.

Let's say I want to make a calendar of hot ladies in Sioux Jerseys, would I get sued?

Could I just use old jerseys they no longer have a trademark on?

Would UND approve a licensing agreement for such a sexist thing?

Hate to answer your questions with a question, so I'll answer them with two. Is your lawyer on speed dial? And how large is the Cratter defense fund?

Ashley-Judd-UK-Hockey(1).jpg

In case you need inspiration. ;)

As a practical matter, even though I'm no trademark expert, I doubt UND would pursue a trademark claim against somebody whose calendar featured trademarked UND/Sioux gear. It's another story if you made those jerseys without a license.

I got six models, a photographer,and a studio lined up so far.

Why not just call it something like, "College Hockey Girls of North Dakota" (Yeah, I could do better...) Then use about 5 months or so of UND/Sioux jerseys, then throw in Williston State, Bottineau, and a few club team jerseys from Minot State, etc... (No NDSU stuff though. Unless you use that sheep pic with one...or a cow)

Me and u think a like hayduke. I had five UND in mind. I have thought of mixing it up with other colleges bit I really wanna target my audience. So in thinking the other ones will be general ND skirts: "North Dakota its better on top." I might go rogue and make it all UND. Want one? $20. Wish I could show ya all the models , definately a couple hot blondes.

Me and u think a like hayduke. I had five UND in mind. I have thought of mixing it up with other colleges bit I really wanna target my audience. So in thinking the other ones will be general ND skirts: "North Dakota its better on top." I might go rogue and make it all UND. Want one? $20. Wish I could show ya all the models , definately a couple hot blondes.

Sure. But, on second thought, pick a "special" model for the NDSU club hockey jersey. (Gotta have some fun with this!)

If UND wants to help me out. I'll donate all proceeds to new football jerseys. Sell them at the Ralph and bookstore. Easily sell 1,000. They'd raise $10,000 right there! I'll sign the rights to the photos over.

And by help me out I mean here ya go, nothing asked for in return yours to sell. My expense to get the images: Donated! and I'll tell ya its not cheap by any means....on second thought (Shawshank Redemption moment) I wanna hockey suite for one weekend; full of beer for me and my siouxsports.com friends! And by friends: I mean anyone on here.....first come first serve.

Like this post to show the Ralph they should carry it and meet our demands! ;)

• Upvote 3

Things would fly off the shelves at the Ralph. If they get over the PC part. Not to mention the buzz they would get!

One thing I have learned is these girls love doing this. They all say they are excited. It's like they get a high from it. They are flattered to be in a calendar shoot and show themselves off. All ask for a copy when its done. "I got cute friends too."

Why not just call it something like, "College Hockey Girls of North Dakota" (Yeah, I could do better...) Then use about 5 months or so of UND/Sioux jerseys, then throw in Williston State, Bottineau, and a few club team jerseys from Minot State, etc... (No NDSU stuff though. Unless you use that sheep pic with one...or a cow)

Unless you put a NDSU jersey on the sheep.