jimdahl

Indian nicknames in the news

1,784 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/business/article157009204.html

Do some people out there actually believe there's a chance we might get the nickname back?

On 6/20/2017 at 4:51 PM, Fetch said:

Sioux Forever - With some help from the Supreme Court ?

The issue with the Fighting Sioux name was never about obtaining a trademark.  Which is what this court ruling was all about.  UND had and still does have full legal right to the Fighting Sioux trademark.  The issue with the Sioux name was all about the NCAA, a private organization, and their feeling towards a members nickname and their ability to sanction that member school.  

The only option that UND would even have a chance for is claim the NCAA discriminated against them based on the their nickname.  Even the little chance of that ever happening is not going to get UND to go back and unretire the Fighting Sioux name.  

51 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The issue with the Fighting Sioux name was never about obtaining a trademark.  Which is what this court ruling was all about.  UND had and still does have full legal right to the Fighting Sioux trademark.  The issue with the Sioux name was all about the NCAA, a private organization, and their feeling towards a members nickname and their ability to sanction that member school.  

The only option that UND would even have a chance for is claim the NCAA discriminated against them based on the their nickname.  Even the little chance of that ever happening is not going to get UND to go back and unretire the Fighting Sioux name.  

THANK YOU!!!   

Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians etc--private organization under the rules of their respected leagues (no rules on Indian nicknames) 

UND--state run school under the rules of the NCAA (has an Indian nickname rule)

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

It's a good thing we didn't become the University of North Dakota Fighting Millionaires.  Apparently Millionaire is now a divisive word.  

"But a new generation of students say it’s time for a new nickname – because they feel the word “millionaire” has become offensive and divisive."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/06/students-say-millionaire-mascot-is-divisive.html

Mo' Money Mo' Problems

1 hour ago, Rick said:

It's a good thing we didn't become the University of North Dakota Fighting Millionaires.  Apparently Millionaire is now a divisive word.  

"But a new generation of students say it’s time for a new nickname – because they feel the word “millionaire” has become offensive and divisive."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/06/students-say-millionaire-mascot-is-divisive.html

Maybe change their name to the Warrriors.....as in Social Justice Warriors!!! :D

On 6/2/2017 at 11:12 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

No mascot is safe!!!

Petition Started To Change “Racist Mascot” For LSU

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/30/petition-started-to-change-racist-mascot-for-lsu/

this is just like when SJW's tried to change the name of lake Calhoun because it was named after a racist former VIce-President, the reality is that they were probably the only ones who knew this, and they probably had to do a fair bit of digging to find out that information. People are going out of there way to be offended... fucking sjw's.

SJW.jpg

From a story about the retirement of Leigh Jeanotte: 

He’s is most proud that with the help of others, especially Emil LaRocque, director of the Tribal Scholarship Program at Turtle Mountain Community College, a tuition waiver was created for American Indian students.

“The State Board of Higher Education turned us down many times,” Jeanotte said. “But Emil and I kept trying. Finally, we decided to try one more time, and the Board approved it. That program has assisted so many American Indian and other under-represented students, and it exists today for all 11 institutions. I feel good about that.”

So there is a tuition waiver for Native Americans at UND - over the years I've read many letters and quotes that said that Native Americans did not receive any special treatment?

Just to be clear - I'm not saying it is a good or bad thing.   

9 hours ago, CMSioux said:

From a story about the retirement of Leigh Jeanotte: 

He’s is most proud that with the help of others, especially Emil LaRocque, director of the Tribal Scholarship Program at Turtle Mountain Community College, a tuition waiver was created for American Indian students.

“The State Board of Higher Education turned us down many times,” Jeanotte said. “But Emil and I kept trying. Finally, we decided to try one more time, and the Board approved it. That program has assisted so many American Indian and other under-represented students, and it exists today for all 11 institutions. I feel good about that.”

So there is a tuition waiver for Native Americans at UND - over the years I've read many letters and quotes that said that Native Americans did not receive any special treatment?

Just to be clear - I'm not saying it is a good or bad thing.   

If you look at the UND web site it looks like the program is for all historically under represented groups. It is called the Cultural Diversity Tuition Waiver. That includes Native Americans, Alaska Natives, African Americans and Asian Americans. It isn't automatic, they have to apply. In North Dakota Native Americans make up the largest portion of those groups, so they get most of the available waivers. Most Native Americans do not receive tuition waivers. There are also some scholarships that are aimed specifically at Native Americans. People used to claim that Native Americans went to school for free, that is not true in most cases, but I'm sure there are some that do just like there are students in other categories that end up going to school for free.

You can also find scholarships and waiver programs to reward many other groups including the families of service personnel that have died, people from certain towns or counties, people studying specific subjects, students with disabilities, National Merit Scholars, etc. You can find a lot of information on these sites, although I'm sure they are not complete, http://www.ndus.edu/students/paying-for-college/grants-scholarships/#NDCTES and http://und.edu/admissions/financial-aid/types-of-aid/undergrad-scholarships.cfm.