SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I'm in favor of letting teams decide their own fate vis-a-vis nicknames and logos. But I gotta say, after watching Game 2 of the WS, if they can also get rid of that drum as a package deal, I'm fully in support of the anti-nicknamers.

Drum vs tomahawk chop? 

• 3 months later...

The lack of intelligent conservatives in sports, or at least their relative shyness about their ideas, also allows progressive sportswriters to advance ideas without challenge, sometimes all the way into dead ends. Take the debate about Native American mascots in logos. Of course it makes perfect sense to remove or alter any logos that offend people. But all mascots are reductive caricatures. Was the problem that the logos were offensive or that there is so little representation of Native Americans in our culture that their presence as mascots seems mocking by default? Has no one stopped to notice there is something odd about an anti-racism that will cause an evermore diverse country to declare rooting for white-faced mascots the only safe thing to do? How will this deletion of all non-white faces look in 50 years?

http://theweek.com/articles/680886/arrogant-thinking-liberal-sports-writers 

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 5:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Western Washington's students want to drop their Vikings mascot and go to something less masculine and offensive, like a bird.

"Less masculine" and "offensive", huh? WTH is going on out there, cripes.  You can't make it up.

9 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Right.   As far fetched as it may seem, there may come a day when logos that conjure ideas of white men on horseback shooting at minorities isn't as revered as it is today by the ncaa.    

The Rough Riders fought the Spanish army (as in the Spain of Europe) in part to free Cuba from Spanish rule.  Cavalries (warriors on horseback) have been around for millenia.  Altering/omitting history to identify them simply as "white men on horseback shooting at minorities" is pretty weak.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The Rough Riders fought the Spanish army (as in the Spain of Europe) in part to free Cuba from Spanish rule.  Cavalries (warriors on horseback) have been around for millenia.  Altering/omitting history to identify them simply as "white men on horseback shooting at minorities" is pretty weak.

That's why I carefully chose my words, saying "conjure ideas."

As I think we all know, facts often have very little to do with choosing to be offended.