SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I love how folks proudly call themselves 'liberal' and then claim to be anti-PC. Take a good look at your fellow 'proud' liberals like Nancy Pelosi, Barak Obama, Bryant Gumbel, Bob Costas, etc...in fact, please find me a good liberal political figure who has said anything about sticking up for history and nicknames...So-called middle-of-the-roaders like Dorgan, Conrad, and Heirkamp? Good luck!

People have different views, just because they consider themselves liberal and agree with those politicians on some/most issues, doesn't mean they agree with them on all issues.

Enough of the politics now.

• Upvote 2

Stole this from http://msn.foxsports...xt-week-102613/ Funny stuff, regardless of who you vote against!

TheRealHipjust now

The National Football League, Washington Redskins are changing their name because

Of the shame,

Humiliation, contempt, and discrimination associated with their name.

From now on they will be known simply as the Redskins.

That is no different from folks who proudly call themselves conservative and then claim to be against racism. No matter which side you're on, you don't neccessarily always go along with the over the top extremists that exist within the group that you generally side with.

Excuse me... Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. He was a conservative and the first Republican president.

since you are invoking wiki, here are Lincoln's own words:

Lincoln and his party were called radical and destructive, but he counted himself among the earliest defenders of conservative principles, which was in essence a defense of time-honored, traditional values.

As Lincoln said: But you say you are conservative - eminently conservative - while we are revolutionary, destructive, or something of the sort. What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried? We stick to, contend for, the identical old policy on the point in controversy which was adopted by "our fathers who framed the Government under which we live;" while you with one accord reject, and scout, and spit upon that old policy, and insist upon substituting something new.

• 2 months later...

Tough to accept the hypocricy associated with the NCAA and Florida State on display during the college football national championship game - the constant war chant and hand chopping, the crowd shots of students with indian headbands on - all things that UND never did in the last 40 years and would have been incredibly criticized for if they had.

Shouldn't matter if a tribe gives permission - either using a Native American nickname/icon/mascot is racist or it isn't.

I couldn't agree more.

This has the potential to be a big deal:

Agency rejects trademark of ‘Redskins Hog Rinds,’ calling term ‘derogatory’

An application to register the trademark “Redskins Hog Rinds” with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office was refused by an examining attorney on the basis that it contained “a derogatory slang term,” according to a letter from the agency.

If the PTO similarly finds that Redskins is a derogatory slang term in a football team's name (and why would its finding differ there vs. pork rinds?), the Washington Redskins could lose their trademark. That could open the floodgates to unapproved Redskins merchandise, and thus the revenue normally associated with licensing fees. Given that Snyder seems to care a fair bit about money, that could lead to an interesting dilemma as to what's costing him more -- having a team name that he can't license, or infuriating the loyal fans of his decidedly mediocre football team.

Of course, a PTO finding against the football team's trademark would bring a lot more publicity and political pressure than the one for pork rinds, so one could imagine some higher up intervening.

If the PTO similarly finds that Redskins is a derogatory slang term in a football team's name (and why would its finding differ there vs. pork rinds?), the Washington Redskins could lose their trademark. That could open the floodgates to unapproved Redskins merchandise, and thus the revenue normally associated with licensing fees.

Eligibility for registration and enforceability as a trademark are separate things; unregistered marks can still be infringed under the federal Lanham Act. http://www.law.corne...rk_infringement

Also, a determination by the PTO in one case is not binding with respect to other applications/registrations.

Tough to accept the hypocracy associated with the NCAA and Florida State on display during the college football national championship game - the constant war chant and hand chopping, the crowd shots of students with indian headbands on - all things that UND never did in the last 40 years and would have been incredibly criticized for if they had.

Shouldn't matter if a tribe gives permission - either using a Native American nickname/icon/mascot is racist or it isn't.

Yes, I'm moving on, but no I don't have to accept the hypocracy.

I even agree.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Christian myself, I can understand not wanting to use the Crusader nickname. Frankly, I'm not sure that's anything I'd be proud of. Not sure going to war in the Holy Land is all that Christian of a thing to do. Not trying to get religious or political, but I think I can see a reason why a Christian school might say "ah, maybe let's go a different route".

On the other hand do I care if Holy Cross uses that nickname? Not a bit. Couldn't care less.

As a Christian myself, I can understand not wanting to use the Crusader nickname. Frankly, I'm not sure that's anything I'd be proud of. Not sure going to war in the Holy Land is all that Christian of a thing to do. Not trying to get religious or political, but I think I can see a reason why a Christian school might say "ah, maybe let's go a different route".

On the other hand do I care if Holy Cross uses that nickname? Not a bit. Couldn't care less.

What does the Gophers think? :lol: