SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA admits they are corrupt

Vegas_Sioux

The winds are a changin' it seems ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/sports/under-pressure-ncaa-weighs-momentous-changes.html?src=recg&pagewanted=all

N.C.A.A. officials and their critics say that with the three issues coming to a head at once — along with a substantial behind-the-scenes debate about how the organization should be restructured — a new era in college athletics could be imminent.

In January, two days have been set aside at the N.C.A.A.’s annual convention to discuss changes. Among the matters up for discussion will be whether universities with large and small budgets can coexist in the same division, a complex question at the heart of the future of college athletics.

Short of moving the so-called power conferences to a new division, one proposal would simply create different standards for them, in terms of how they are permitted to use their budgets and how they are policed.

The winds are a changin' it seems ...

http://www.nytimes.c...&pagewanted=all

N.C.A.A. officials and their critics say that with the three issues coming to a head at once — along with a substantial behind-the-scenes debate about how the organization should be restructured — a new era in college athletics could be imminent.

In January, two days have been set aside at the N.C.A.A.’s annual convention to discuss changes. Among the matters up for discussion will be whether universities with large and small budgets can coexist in the same division, a complex question at the heart of the future of college athletics.

Short of moving the so-called power conferences to a new division, one proposal would simply create different standards for them, in terms of how they are permitted to use their budgets and how they are policed.

How would that work?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/08/07/ncaa-board-of-directors-autonomy-vote-power-five-conferences/13716349/

The 16-2 vote by the Division I Board of Directors, which took place at NCAA headquarters, is subject to a 60-day veto period before the new governance structure is official. It is not expected enough schools will to override to put the legislation in jeopardy. The dissenting votes came from Ivy League rep and Dartmouth President Phil Hanlon and Delaware President Patrick Harker, the representative of the Colonial Athletic Conference.

In a statement, NCAA President Mark Emmert said, "I am immensely proud of the work done by the membership. The new governance model represents a compromise on all sides that will better serve our members and, most importantly, our student-athletes. These changes will help all our schools better support the young people who come to college to play sports while earning a degree."

All schools? So what's happening with Michigan, Minnesota, Alabama, and UCLA is going to help better Ball State, Wyoming, UTEP, and the FCS? All I see is a mass exit of g5 and FCS players being recruited or scouted by, and making a dash for the $5 (my abbreviation for the p5).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/its-not-that-the-ncaa-doesnt-know-what-its-doing-its-that-the-ncaa-doesnt-know-what-its-supposed-to-be-doing/2014/11/10/ec1aa64e-6905-11e4-b053-65cea7903f2e_story.html

My favorite line in that article? 

It’s one thing to say the NCAA must disappear; it’s another to describe what should take its place. 

The NCAA has/is being reigned in as of late. They are definitely moving past a high point of power. It was in the midst of that peak where UND and the Sioux name found itself under siege. I commented in another thread my opinion that the NCAA has extinguished any and all power outside of what is explicitly stated in our settlement agreement. I think that is an important idea which should be considered and discussed by all Sioux fans and by those who seek to distroy the Sioux name..

The comments on that article are crazy and most have nothing to do with the article.  Penn State people seem a little nuts.

The NCAA thinks it's a branch of government.

Heck, there are people out there that believe the NCAA is a branch of government. 

Reality: The NCAA can not create law.

Reality: The NCAA has no law enforcement authority.

Heck, the NCAA runs more like ... well ... organized crime: intimidation, blackmail, claiming authority where they have none, knee-capping some (Alaska), ignoring others (North Carolina). 

It's over a decade old, but I think the NCAA would still make this list if it was created today: http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2002-12-08/the-best-little-monopoly-in-america

The NCAA thinks it's a branch of government.

Heck, there are people out there that believe the NCAA is a branch of government. 

Reality: The NCAA can not create law.

Reality: The NCAA has no law enforcement authority.

Heck, the NCAA runs more like ... well ... organized crime: intimidation, blackmail, claiming authority where they have none, knee-capping some (Alaska), ignoring others (North Carolina). 

It's over a decade old, but I think the NCAA would still make this list if it was created today: http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2002-12-08/the-best-little-monopoly-in-america

Good points there sir. 

• 3 weeks later...

N.C.A.A. Clearly, the association overreached, something it has seemed to acknowledge implicitly by lifting some of the sanctions. Internal N.C.A.A. emails that were recently made public show that the staff knew it had no jurisdiction, and that it was “bluffing” in trying to get Penn State to accept its penalties.

Very interesting.