SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA admits they are corrupt

Vegas_Sioux

• 4 weeks later...

Awash in television money and in bed with the mainstream media for half a century, the NCAA has been crushing its subjects without fear for decades. This is the worst kind of dictatorship, one that is supported by the media not out of fear, but out of an irrational and biased belief the NCAA is right and just.

Trust me, it’s not. It’s like any other institution drunk on power and wealth.

Yup, the last sentence nails it: The NCAA is "drunk on power and wealth".

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/whitlock-ncaa-university-of-miami-nevin-shapiro-lives-are-ruined-todd-mcnair-ex-usc-assistant-coach-022213

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/sports/ncaafootball/calls-for-reform-grow-louder-for-ncaa-and-mark-emmert.html?ref=sports&pagewanted=all

In the past month, the N.C.A.A. and its president, Mark Emmert, have been sued, criticized and ridiculed — and more than usual. They were embarrassed by admitted mistakes in a high-profile investigation. Their critics, growing louder and in number, included a governor, state senators, lawyers, academics and university presidents.

Those who study the N.C.A.A. believe this time period could become a tipping point for significant reform. Lanter said a class-action lawsuit, which questions how the N.C.A.A. profits from the likeness of its athletes even after they are no longer amateurs, was the most likely impetus for major change. “That would dramatically impact college athletics,” he said. “The amount of money it would have to pay out would shake the N.C.A.A. to its core.”

• 3 weeks later...

Should NDSU be worried. :whistling:

Why would NDSU be worried? NDSU actually cooperates with the ncaa unlike some other schools, and Emmert had a lot of positivity regarding the Bison in Frisco. I'm sure the athletic department had the opportunity to rub elbows with Emmert and the ncaa folks the past two years.

• Downvote 1

Why would NDSU be worried? NDSU actually cooperates with the ncaa unlike some other schools, and Emmert had a lot of positivity regarding the Bison in Frisco. I'm sure the athletic department had the opportunity to rub elbows with Emmert and the ncaa folks the past two years.

I hope you don't mean UND in your comment about schools not cooperating. Even during the nickname issue UND cooperated.

I hope you don't mean UND in your comment about schools not cooperating. Even during the nickname issue UND cooperated.

In the eyes of the ncaa, you "cooperated" like a bratty, back-talking 5 year old, or a suspect taken in custody who is cooperating with authorities. I guess it depends on how you define "cooperation".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the eyes of the ncaa, you "cooperated" like a bratty, back-talking 5 year old, or a suspect taken in custody who is cooperating with authorities. I guess it depends on how you define "cooperation".

Your football team knows all too well about authorities.

• Upvote 3

Good God man go home. UND cooperated under every circumstance they were asked of. It was outside organizations that delayed the process. Go troll soemwhere else.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

More on the O'Bannon litigation ...

The storm that’s slowly rolling toward Indianapolis quietly gained strength this week with the filing of several devastating documents in a federal court in California. If it stays on course, it’s going to hit with biblical force, reducing the National Collegiate Athletic Association to a heap of rubble.

O’Bannon and his lawyers are also asking for something else: They want all current and future college athletes to be able to make licensing deals of their own. It’s short yardage from there to the NCAA’s doomsday scenario: schools bidding for the services of student- athletes.

O’Bannon’s response to the NCAA may be the most powerful case ever assembled against the association’s propaganda machine. Among other things, it systematically dismantles the NCAA’s argument that the vast majority of its members lose money on sports.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-02/the-lawsuit-that-could-bring-down-the-ncaa.html

Don't you know suing someone is cooperating. Passing state laws to keep the name is another form of cooperation.
  • Downvote 1

Do Bratty back-talking 5 year olds usually possess the moral and ethical high ground in negotiations?

Anyone wishing to hang some sort of a hat on the idea that "cooperating" with the NCAA was some sort of ambition or badge to be worn is just about a perfect personification of pretty much everything that is wrong with our society today. Or, better yet, A great allegory for the lack of ability/chance we have of making our world any better that a Wallmart parking lot.

The NCAA was NEVER the good guy in anything that transpired regarding the name change so why would we/should we have strived to "cooperate" with them. We surrendered to them. Whether or not we should have is a separate question...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

What are the chances the NCAA looks like it does today in five years? I have read more and more about the super conferences that are forming right under their noses with the full intention of breaking away from the monopoly called the NCAA. I visited with a Big10 asst coach that said the hope is to be able to give scholarship athletes monthly stipends and do as they agree(within the Super Conferences) with respect to recruiting, championships, etc.

I don't doubt this can happen given the money that these universities are creating with their own TV networks, etc. But where does that leave the rest of the FBS, FCS, D2 and D3 schools? A significant amount of money to run NCAA championships comes from the billion dollar TV contracts the huge BCS universities create. The coach said the major BCS schools are sick of sharing the wealth and the Boise St, N. Illinois of the world horning in on their bowl games,etc.

Any thoughts or other info people have on this??

What are the chances the NCAA looks like it does today in five years? I have read more and more about the super conferences that are forming right under their noses with the full intention of breaking away from the monopoly called the NCAA. I visited with a Big10 asst coach that said the hope is to be able to give scholarship athletes monthly stipends and do as they agree(within the Super Conferences) with respect to recruiting, championships, etc.

I don't doubt this can happen given the money that these universities are creating with their own TV networks, etc. But where does that leave the rest of the FBS, FCS, D2 and D3 schools? A significant amount of money to run NCAA championships comes from the billion dollar TV contracts the huge BCS universities create. The coach said the major BCS schools are sick of sharing the wealth and the Boise St, N. Illinois of the world horning in on their bowl games,etc.

Any thoughts or other info people have on this??

There has been a lot of discussion on these topics in some other threads, especially the Conference Realignment thread. A lot of things could change in the next few years.