SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

Wild looked good beating the Avs, Parise with 2 assists in the second period, they could be an exciting team this year.

And of course after the game the Avs announcers with their usual crap..."Wild didn't win this game, Avs lost it...blah, blah, blah". I can't stand this team, we get them all the time because they're considered our 'home team' in Montana and their announcers are the biggest homers ever. Nobody ever beats them, it's either 'we let them win' or a screw job.

Wild looked good beating the Avs, Parise with 2 assists in the second period, they could be an exciting team this year.

And of course after the game the Avs announcers with their usual crap..."Wild didn't win this game, Avs lost it...blah, blah, blah". I can't stand this team, we get them all the time because they're considered our 'home team' in Montana and their announcers are the biggest homers ever. Nobody ever beats them, it's either 'we let them win' or a screw job.

We should bring back the "Common Man Football Standings" for the NHL so we can have a "beat themselves" column for the Avs! :) Then those announcers would feel better about the asinine comments they make during games.

Ouch

The Capitals are winless in their first three games for the first time since 1993-94.

The Capitals are the only team remaining in the National Hockey League without a point and have been outscored 14-6. They've led for only 2:32 in three games or 180 minutes, are 2-for-12 (16.6 percent) on the power play and have allowed seven power-play goals in 18 times short (61.1 percent penalty kill).

At least last night they didn't look completely lost like they did the first two games. The short season is going to be tough on teams that have undergone personnel changes.

Detroit, Philly, and the Rangers are also all looking rough early. With only 42 games, these missed points are going to keep someone out of the playoffs.

Ouch

At least last night they didn't look completely lost like they did the first two games. The short season is going to be tough on teams that have undergone personnel changes.

Detroit, Philly, and the Rangers are also all looking rough early. With only 42 games, these missed points are going to keep someone out of the playoffs.

*couch* 48 games

I'm also seeing some stuff that Ovechkin is just not the same player. How long can Caps wait for him? Also interesting take I saw on Nail Yakapov's celebration was that Cherry will rip it and when he did that to Ovechkin is when Ovi started sliding. I don't necessarily buy it, but I'm sure players don't take kindly to the over the top celebrations.

*couch* 48 games

Ack, of course. (though I think you meant *cough* :p )

I'm also seeing some stuff that Ovechkin is just not the same player. How long can Caps wait for him? Also interesting take I saw on Nail Yakapov's celebration was that Cherry will rip it and when he did that to Ovechkin is when Ovi started sliding. I don't necessarily buy it, but I'm sure players don't take kindly to the over the top celebrations.

Frankly, I think the coaches have been beating it out of him. To me it's sort of the same as when a young running QB hits the NFL -- he has a couple awesome years of run & gun, but if that doesn't win a Superbowl the coaches start trying to coach the run out of him. Then everyone's surprised that he's not quite as dynamic an individual as he used to be.

They let Ovechkin be himself for a few years and then had to make some changes because they were exiting the playoffs "too early". Now he's a cautious, two-way, setup player. Still very valuable to a good team, but he's not on a particularly great team anymore, so can't carry it by himself because he's been trained not to. IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've watched a lot of hockey and don't remember ever seeing this before...

Video

Basically, Ovechkin got a breakaway when the opposing goalie was pulled, then a player from the Tampa Bay bench stuck his stick onto the ice to try to impede his play. That resulted in an automatic goal for Ovechkin (who followed through and put it in the net anyway).

I don't remember a rule leading to an automatic goal. I guess the actual infraction would normally lead to a penalty shot, but since it was an empty net it's just ruled a goal.

I've watched a lot of hockey and don't remember ever seeing this before...

Video

Basically, Ovechkin got a breakaway when the opposing goalie was pulled, then a player from the Tampa Bay bench stuck his stick onto the ice to try to impede his play. That resulted in an automatic goal for Ovechkin (who followed through and put it in the net anyway).

I don't remember a rule leading to an automatic goal. I guess the actual infraction would normally lead to a penalty shot, but since it was an empty net it's just ruled a goal.

Yeah, right - you just wanted us to watch that because of the Maria Kirilenko sighting! :love:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26348

56.7 Awarded Goal - If, when the goalkeeper has been removed from the ice, any member of his team (including the goalkeeper) not legally on the ice, including the Coach or non-playing Club personnel, interferes by means of his body, stick or any other object or piece of equipment with the movements of the puck or an opposing player in the neutral or attacking zone, the Referee shall immediately award a goal to the non-offending team. When a Coach or non-playing Club personnel is guilty of such an act, he shall be automatically suspended from the game, ordered to the dressing room and the matter will be reported to the Commissioner for possible further disciplinary action.

Wow, amazing anyone thought to write that rule and put it in the books. Like I said, I assumed it was a more general "penalty shots are instead goals if the goalie is out" type rule. Thanks!

It probably isn't the first time that it's happened in a game somewhere.