SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia speaks for Broten, Woog and Parise and saves the world

yababy8

A while back I posted some thoughts regarding Don Lucia's position on the Sioux vs Gophers rivalry and his expressed decision to discontinue (for the first time in a half century) college hockey's greatest rivalry. Lucia in turns out is UNILATERALLY responsible for the dissemination of the historied rivalry and explaining such with proclamations of unhealthiness. I firmly believe that his actions should be ranked as some of the most destructive, detrimental acts in the entire history of college hockey. He unilaterally made a decision for thousands of individuals who have had and continue to have great investment and passion for this rivalry. With whom of them did he consult before his frivolous decree?

What Lucia said and did regarding one of college sports greatest rivalries? .

(as I posted before:)...He made it all very clear when he said the following to explain and justify why he chose not to schedule games against the Sioux for the next three years!! "It isn't a healthy rivalry" and you get a little peak into the mind of a pathetic man who can't handle being soundly beaten so he conjures a self-serving paradigm that does nothing positive for anyone, is totally bogus, completely disregards the reality of the situation and spits in the face of blood, sweat and tears lost over decades upon decades of fiercely intense rivalry and competition.

In that post I asked but one simple question,

"Does this show any disrespect for the thousands of student athletes and coaches who have a great deal of passion for this rivalry and what it means?" and further, "What kind of a man feels bestowed with the prerogative to unilaterally adjudicate the "health" of a rivalry and thereto sentence the extermination of such a storied tradition?"

...Ask yourself this Lucia, What would Herb Brooks say about the Sioux v Gophers rivalry and the importance of preserving it? What would Neil Broten say? Pete Hankinson? Eddie Belfour? Blake Wheeler?, How bout your predecessor Woogie?..

Yes Lucia, I could go on and on, as is usually the case wherein there is a historic rivalry being considered. You sure did make a call for a lot of folks didn't you? ...

Maybe your next step is to be nominated for the supreme court? Or maybe you should decide US troop movements in Afghanistan? Hail Father Lucia!! He knows best..

I would say you are a sad and pathetic excuse for a hockey man but I think simply pointing out how much bad you have done for college hockey pretty much covers that one.

I will close with some quotes and links I've seen regarding the rivalry. Did I missed the ones that speak to this unhealthiness?

I saw this quote today on the Gopher Puck Live site today regarding the Sioux vs Gophers rivalry. Written by a Gophers fan:

"Ya this series would be a good way to promote college hockey. I honestly think this is one of the better rivalries in all of college sports."

another Gopher fan replied,

"It is one of the best in all of college sports. I've lived in Alabama (got to see 'Bama/Auburn week), Raleigh (got to be there for UNC/Duke) and I've been in Texas for a long time (A&M/tu, OU/tu). The Gophers/TBD rivalry is right up there, although the 'Bama/Auburn hatred is on a whole other level."

How about Nick Bjustad last year after game vs the SIOUX:

"obviously playing North Dakota at our place is crazy, the fans are into it, there's just no better game you can play, its a man's game..."

Here are some more links I posted earlier;

"This rivalry has more hatred than UNC-Duke’s basketball rivalry and Oklahoma-Texas’ football rivalry combined."

http://www.thesports...rrated-rivalry/

http://www.1500espn....keys_best110211

http://www.uscho.com...th-dakota-week/

http://www.startribu.../133203098.html

http://www.foxsports...?blockID=689976

"Rivalries in sports are something that everyone needs. You need those rivalry games, it wraps the organization and community together."

http://charliecloud....ophers-and-und/

• Upvote 1

Maybe if your players hadn't started handshake fights multiple years, and your administration could pull its head out of its rear and figured out the naming deal before two years after the deadline, the rivalry could continue.

This is such a dead topic its pointless to get worked up about. Use the next four years to sober up a bit before UMN's schedule has some openings for UND and the teams get back on the ice together (in Minneapolis).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The funny thing is that what he thinks is unhealthy is tame compared to what the rivalry used to be. Remember when Mike Greeder pummeled Mike Burgraff to a pulp to the point where he could barely see out of his eyes? Remember when the trainers were involved in a brawl. Remember Woog flying in Dave Preuss to a series the second night for a little "muscle"? I don't ever recall any coaches from that era saying the rivalry was unhealthy, and at that point it probably was. I have a feeling if Lucia stayed long enough he would say that the Michigan rivalry is unhealthy when things don't always go his way. If UND would have been the team that slashed Haula, you would never hear the end of it from Lucia and the fans. It's too bad that the rivalry won't continue for a while because of one persons opinion on the rivalry.

Maybe if your players hadn't started handshake fights multiple years, and your administration could pull its head out of its rear and figured out the naming deal before two years after the deadline, the rivalry could continue.

Excuses. Is that you Don? Waaa! I'm taking my ball home, screw you guys! Waaa!

• Upvote 1

Didn't stop Wisconsin, so quit using that sorry excuse.

• Upvote 2

Last time I checked this is Men's Division I College Hockey... Key word is men's... Time for the Gophers to put their big boy pants on.

• Upvote 1

Last time I checked this is Men's Division I College Hockey... Key word is men's... Time for the Gophers to put their big boy pants on.

Last time I checked, fighting isn't allowed in Men's Division I College Hockey. Maybe UND would be better suited playing in the WHL or OHL, thats where most of their blue chip recruits end up anyways [insert rimshot].

• Upvote 1

This is such a dead topic its pointless to get worked up about. Use the next four years to sober up a bit before UMN's schedule has some openings for UND and the teams get back on the ice together (in Minneapolis).

You = FAIL

NOTSOCLASSY.jpg

What loser hangs around other team's forum?

The goonery that goes on between Wisco and UND is nothing compared to UMN vs UND.

Talking about the nickname. And like I said, the rivalry is very tame compared to what it used to be. Mark my words, you will find another team to vilify without UND in the picture, and my bet is that it will be Michigan.

Last time I checked, fighting isn't allowed in Men's Division I College Hockey. Maybe UND would be better suited playing in the WHL or OHL, thats where most of their blue chip recruits end up anyways [insert rimshot].

You really crack yourself up... There hasn't been a fight in the series for sometime..

Use the next four years to sober up a bit before UMN's schedule has some openings for UND and the teams get back on the ice together (in Minneapolis).

Nice subtle hint at where the rivalry must resume... I think you've been hanging around too many bison knuckleheads in Fargo.

Aside - your posts beg the question: How long have you followed the Sioux/ Gopher hockey rivalry? It seems as if for not very long... as tnt pointed out, the rivalry is much healthier than it used to be.

And if you're a gopher fan living in Fargo - please sell or give up your UND season tickets. They are tainted, and bring bad karma to the Ralph.

Not trying to pick a fight here at all, but if you knew what Wheeler said to Finley in the handshake line, you'd do what Finley would have too. I'll leave it at that.

• Upvote 1

While I agree that has no place in the handshake line.....the handshake line is also not the place for Wheeler and Rau to be running their c*ck$uckers either.

The last fight in this series that I remember was Rory McMahon feeding Mike Vanelli a few rights until he was begging for a left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqkKpXIRqA

Vanelli comes in late thinking he we will just do some pushing and shoving after the whistle like gophs always do, who knows maybe even give a guy the stinky mitt......you know gopher tough guy hockey and gets more than he bargained for.

I think it is amazing to hear goofer fans talk about the goonery of the Sioux, they are by far the biggest cheap shot, !@#$ talkers in all of college hockey. Just listen to them, the since of entitlement is amazing. Can't wait to watch Michigan kick their ass year after year! T. Lucia was the biggest reason for most of the dust up while he was there, talk !@#$ and then skate and hide behind his daddies skirt. Total pansies. I hope MacWilliam lays Rau or someone out with a good hard clean hit. The whinning that we will hear and calling for suspensions will be great. I am surprised they do not have the stop signs on the front of their jerseys, poor babies can't take a hit!