SiouxSports.com Forum

National Midget Tourney This Week

jk

The national midget tournament runs from April 3-7 in Colorado Springs.  SSM is the defending champion.  Here is a pre-tournament story from the Colorado paper.

http://www.gazette.com/stories/0402spts3-4.php?section=4

And the following is from the Faribault paper.  The link would disappear tomorrow so I cut-and-pasted it.

"The Sabre boys, meanwhile, skate into nationals as the defending champions, at full strength and regarded as the definite favorite. The Sabres outscored six teams 34-9 at nationals last year in West Chester, Pennsylvania, and similarly dominated the prestigious Mac's tournament in Calgary this past Christmas and New Year's. Junior forward Brady Murray said last week that his team is guarding against overconfidence. "Two years ago, when Zach Parise and I were playing, we went into nationals with a 40-game unbeaten streak and thought we couldn't be stopped," Murray said. The Sabres were stopped, in the semifinals by the Chicago Chill, a team they'd handled during the regular season. "We will be confident but we have to make sure we aren't not too cocky," said Murray. The Sabres' main firepower comes from the line of seniors Parise (69 goals, 93 assists) and Tyler Hirsch (55-72) plus Murray (53-76). Next-leading scorer is Chris Porter (27-25). Sharing the goaltending duties are Mike Mayhew of Owatonna, who has a 27-2-3 mark and .903 save percentage, and Kevin House, who's 23-2-3 with an .890 percentage. Asked about the national field, J.P. Parise, head of hockey operations at SSM, said they don't know much about it except that a Philadelphia team has beaten SSM once, early in the season, and Team Wisconsin, a pool-play foe, is a big and strong group whom the Sabres have beaten. He noted that the Chicago Chill, a fixture at nationals, are absent this year, having lost to Team Wisconsin. The Sabres, coached by Tom Ward, will be seeking their third title in four years. In pool play, they will meet the Pittsburgh Hornets on Wednesday, Team Wisconsin on Thursday and Alaska All-Stars on Friday."

------------------------------

Apologies for focusing on recruits so much, but with the Sioux absent from the FF, I need to follow something.

No third place game; SSM is on their way home as Wisco, Pitt play for the title today.

Scoring in the E. Mass game was as follows:

Parise 2-1-3

Murray 1-2-3

Hirsch 0-1-1

SSM opened up a 2-0 lead against Wisco 3 minutes into the game, then were shut down as Wisco caught and beat them. Parise went pointless in his final SSM game (makes you wonder if Wisco put a good defensive checker on him for the game). The other points in the game:

Porter

The thing I wonder about is how good Parise/Murray/Hirsch really are.  Are they good because of great chemistry they have, is it excellent coaching, does Murray and Hirsch make Parise better or Parise make Murray and Hirsch better.  

Just like did Panzer have a lot of points/assists because he had a goal scorer in Lundbohm to finish it, or was Lundbohm good at scoring goals because he had Panzer setting him up all the time.

After last season, I don't think anyone is expecting much from this Sioux team.  And that is a real shame.  The program in second place for all-time National Championships expects nothing from itself.  

That would never go over in Michigan, and it ought not go over here.  So, when do we get to expect something?  Two years...three?  What if they fall on their faces that season, like in 1999?  Do we preach patience for 4 years afterward?

What happened Kuhn, lousy vacation?

I think everyone on this board is expecting good things from the Sioux next year. The last game should be a preview of what is to come next year,not the final score though.

With a year of experience under their belts, they should be in the hunt for all the marbles.

Speez,

It's funny, at this point, there's not much reason to be very optimistic about next year, at least on paper.  But for some reason I am.  

I think all of the upperclass forwards (Spiewak, Notermann, Hale and Lundbohm) will have the best years of their careers to-date.  I think some of the big sophomore group will really step up, maybe even some guys people don't expect.  And none of the new forwards are "new" in the ordinary sense.  Hopefully Parise's talent puts him a step ahead of the average freshman, Genoway has already adjusted to school and has practiced for a year, and Fylling also knows the drill.  So there will be no struggling freshmen next year up front.

Expecting a solid defensive corps next year requires a bit of a leap of faith - faith that the returning guys will all continue to develop.

The goaltenders may look a bit better with a better team in front of them.

Most of all, though, my hope comes from how good the team looked when they played well.  They just need to play well all the time now.  

Two very good upperclass forwards are gone from last year.  Two decent to very good, depending on when you saw them, senior defensemen are gone from last year.  One mediocre to very good, depending on the part of the season, senior goaltender is gone from last year.

However, also gone from last year are: Adjustment to a brand new rink.  Baptism by fire for a bunch of freshmen, especially at defense.

I like the Sioux's chances next year.

When I said "let's  not expect too much" I was referring to Parise.

People who think that Parise is going to step in and lead the program to a National Championship in his first year are delusional.  Now, I know no one has really said that, but there are lots of people putting reasonable expectations on his accomplishments for next year, and there appear to be people who think this will be a one man team.  That's too much to ask of Zach.

That's all I was referring to.

As for me expectations of the team, I'm already pumped up for next year.  Do I think they win the WCHA?

No.  I do expect a top 5 finish.  There will be several very good teams in the league again next year, it is going to be a dogfight.  MN will be the favorite, and Denver should be there too.  Who knows where the Sioux might finish, possibly even 3rd?

So I expect a nice improvement over this year.  I just don't expect Zach to be out there all by himself.

Kuhn, who pissed in your Cheerios?

I'd expect more out of the returning classes than they delivered last season, as they have more experience and the hoopla over REA has died down.  Zach is not a "savior" but a very welcome addition to our team.  I'd guess we are good for a top-5 finish next season provided the upperclassmen step it up and we get solid, consistent play.