SiouxSports.com Forum

My 1st weekend of watching on TV

Fetch

I'm kinda shocked by the announcers I remember Hammer from HS games

It sure is not Sweeney - I liked Sweeney

Kober I wish was better but he seems nervous & repeats a lot of what is said

Was it all about $$$ or what ?

Sweeney knew his stuff & knew the players & knew local better - seemed to work pretty hard at being professional

These guys are sure just winging it

I know it will get better - glad I am usually there live

I used to listen to Hennesey at the Ralph - I may try & get back to it - never found a really good comfortable radio that worked good inside the Ralph

I thought Hammer was much improved from the games earlier this season. It seems he's gotten the pronunciation of player names down now (man did he struggle with Senkbeil earlier) and it seems like he's getting a better feel for how to call a hockey game. May just take a little time before he reaches Sioux standards.

Sweeney knew his stuff & knew the players & knew local better - seemed to work pretty hard at being professional

These guys are sure just winging it

I know it will get better - glad I am usually there live

I used to listen to Hennesey at the Ralph - I may try & get back to it - never found a really good comfortable radio that worked good inside the Ralph

do ipod shuffles still have an FM tuner built in? I had one of those that worked pretty good.

or if you have an iphone or a phone that can download apps, you can download the "I heart radio" app and listen to Hennesy on 96.1 the fox.

"or if you have an iphone or a phone that can download apps, you can download the "I heart radio" app and listen to Hennesy on 96.1 the fox."

Yes I just got a samsung galaxy 3 & have not used the ear phones - does the Ralph have wi fi ?

"or if you have an iphone or a phone that can download apps, you can download the "I heart radio" app and listen to Hennesy on 96.1 the fox."

Yes I just got a samsung galaxy 3 & have not used the ear phones - does the Ralph have wi fi ?

Just so you know we installed a repeater inside REA many years ago but since changed the frequency due to interference with other stations...96.5 FM provides with the best sound as the antenna is installed just above the scoreboard. When tuning into plain old 96.1 especially in the lower bowl the signal can be pretty weak.

Not really, I have actually found that is ahead of the video sometimes.

I think Fetch was talking about listening while actually in the arena. I think there would be at least a 15 second delay between in-person action and iheart radio stream.

Guys,

I have had a lot going on since Summer and have been way behind on following the Sioux. What happened to FSSN and Pat Sweeney. I loved their broadcasts.When I saw the exhibition game a few weeks ago on Fox, a company called Midco ? was doing the game and it was terrible.

• Upvote 1

contract was up (WDAZ/FSSN did 1 year contracts) and Midcontinent Cable (which is the dominant cable company in ND/SD and NW MN) AKA Midco got the contract for a bunch of money.

Sadly the picture in most cases has been subpar and the announcer stinks

Thread on the quality of broadcast

Thread on the quality of announcer

• Upvote 1

Guys,

I have had a lot going on since Summer and have been way behind on following the Sioux. What happened to FSSN and Pat Sweeney. I loved their broadcasts.When I saw the exhibition game a few weeks ago on Fox, a company called Midco ? was doing the game and it was terrible.

Pat Sweeney was dumped out in the trash along with 20+ years of experience, tradition and ingrained hockey knowledge, and replaced with a high school volleyball announcer who couldn't tell a one timer from a free throw.

All this was done in a veiled attempt at bettering the production of games and exposure, an attempt that so far has only frustrated fans and caused many to take their tvs in for servicing or scheduling eye exams to see if their vision has gone blurry because the administration has repeatedly said there is no problem.

If it had not been for the crews at WDAZ and Pat Sweeney all these years the fan base wouldn't be as large as it is to even try to get more money out of the broadcasts. This is the thanks they got, better dealed at the first opportunity.

Sweeney and crew can now be found in a dumpster behind the ralph with the logo and the "home of the fighting Sioux" letters.

• Upvote 1

I just moved from St. Paul to Sioux Falls and now have midco and get to watch the hockey games again. Personally I don't care who calls it because I'm just so excited I'm not forced to watch the gophers anymore (or listen to the FSN crew during gopher/UND games)!

Not having seen the last few seasons of the FSSN broadcasts I can't really compare to new Midco broadcasts, but I'm not annoyed with the new announcers. And as long as I don't feel the need to watch with the sound turned off, I'm happy with it.

• Upvote 1