SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux or non-Sioux Gear?

Hayduke

I too will continue to wear my Sioux gear but while wearing said Sioux gear I will boycott the non-Sioux athletic programs at UND.

Unfortunate that you feel that way, you will be missing out on some very exciting times now that UND is officially a Division 1 school.

Most people will continue to wear Sioux gear but will support all the athletic programs at UND. The University of North Dakota is the one thing that has forever remained constant. The Fighting Sioux name and logo is only a part of the long history and tradition of the University of North Dakota and its athletic department.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that I-AA stuff really doesn't do all that much for me anyways. Even if the nickname had stayed, I think things were far more exciting back in the days of the old NCC where every conference opponent was only a short bus trip away.

yeah, it's tough to lose your old rivals...hockey will be going through this next year...ugh...effing big ten...

Sorry, I felt the need to correct a false statement. Not all of us are going to get over it and accept it. People need to respect the fact that some of us will remain bitter and hold a grudge forever.

That train has left the station... The nickname is gone... I love the nickname and will forever but at what point does one decide to not be bitter anymore and move on. There is no possible way to beat the NCAA in this fight unless the Tribe was to win their lawsuit and the possibility of that happening isn't very good.

Edited by Goon

Yep. Nickname is gone and U of MN and U of W are really busting down the doors to schedule UND right? Where are they now? Why not schedule BU and BC, Northeastern, Maine, etc. instead of them anyway? U of MN and U of W don't even compare talent-wise. I bet the B-10 hockey conference will not be what they all think it will be. Programs that were barely making it before (Mankato, Bowling Green, etc.) will have a real struggle now. Mike Hastings will help Mankato but Mankato is going to need a lot more than him to get into the upper echelon of teams/programs

Yep. Nickname is gone and U of MN and U of W are really busting down the doors to schedule UND right? Where are they now?

We're taking a one year break before we play the Badgers starting in 2014-2015 if I am not mistaken. I heard Schlossman tell someone that the other day. So after a one year break we will be beating the Badgers again. I don't think Lucia wants to play and get beat by UND on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...

We're taking a one year break before we play the Badgers starting in 2014-2015 if I am not mistaken. I heard Schlossman tell someone that the other day. So after a one year break we will be beating the Badgers again. I don't think Lucia wants to play and get beat by UND on a regular basis.

Really? His team fared pretty well against UND last season. My guess is that the powers-that-be in Minnesota will certainly favor scheduling in-state teams like St Cloud, UMD, Mankato State and Bemidji State over UND. I spoke pretty clearly a while back on this board that those fans who expected to see the Gophers come to Grand Forks every year or every other year were dead wrong. And I was right. They'll be a non-conference opponent just like Maine, Michigan, or Boston University...and you'll see the U of M in Grand Forks once a decade...at best.

Really? His team fared pretty well against UND last season. My guess is that the powers-that-be in Minnesota will certainly favor scheduling in-state teams like St Cloud, UMD, Mankato State and Bemidji State over UND. I spoke pretty clearly a while back on this board that those fans who expected to see the Gophers come to Grand Forks every year or every other year were dead wrong. And I was right. They'll be a non-conference opponent just like Maine, Michigan, or Boston University...and you'll see the U of M in Grand Forks once a decade...at best.

Then I guess we'll have to wait until the tournament to beat them...if they can get enough wins out of the uber-tough elite BTHC and 20 home non-conference games. :silly:

• Upvote 3

You are fixated on last season, as if the previous 5-10 years don't matter. The fact is, we have ended their season a lot more than the other way around. And if they really think we'll go to Minneapolis for regular season games and not get home games in return, they are dreaming. We are one of the top programs in Division I with or without the Gophers on the schedule and if we can't play them in the regular season, so be it. We'll just focus on getting them in the NCAA's and go back to ending their season like we did in 2005, 2007 and 2010.

You are fixated on last season, as if the previous 5-10 years don't matter. The fact is, we have ended their season a lot more than the other way around. And if they really think we'll go to Minneapolis for regular season games and not get home games in return, they are dreaming. We are one of the top programs in Division I with or without the Gophers on the schedule and if we can't play them in the regular season, so be it. We'll just focus on getting them in the NCAA's and go back to ending their season like we did in 2005, 2007 and 2010.

And if we don't end their season...Holy Cross will.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

It's something going into a place like Scheels (here in Fargo) and the UND gear has almost taken over the Sioux gear. Very little Sioux gear left and pretty soon it will be all gone. Last Christmas there were lots of Sioux gear but now just a few racks left. I would doubt that by the end of this year Scheels will be gone of the Sioux gear.

It's something going into a place like Scheels (here in Fargo) and the UND gear has almost taken over the Sioux gear. Very little Sioux gear left and pretty soon it will be all gone. Last Christmas there were lots of Sioux gear but now just a few racks left. I would doubt that by the end of this year Scheels will be gone of the Sioux gear.

The same thing is happening at the Sioux Shop at the Ralph. Although there is still quite a bit of Sioux logo merchandise, it's quickly being overran by UND apparel. I personally except that the Sioux logo is gone and it's time to move on, but I absolutely hate how boring and unoriginal the new UND stuff is. We need to hurry up and pick a new identity (I realize we can't) that we can all be proud of and start the rebranding process ASAP. The interlocking ND looked fine when accompanied by the Sioux logo, but as a stand alone logo it just looks like were ripping off Notre Dame.

• Upvote 2

The same thing is happening at the Sioux Shop at the Ralph. Although there is still quite a bit of Sioux logo merchandise, it's quickly being overran by UND apparel. I personally except that the Sioux logo is gone and it's time to move on, but I absolutely hate how boring and unoriginal the new UND stuff is. We need to hurry up and pick a new identity (I realize we can't) that we can all be proud of and start the rebranding process ASAP. The interlocking ND looked fine when accompanied by the Sioux logo, but as a stand alone logo it just looks like were ripping off Notre Dame.

Actually we can. UND can pick a name if they want, but it can't be used until 2015. So if they want to get the ball rolling they can, the state law says a name cannot be used until 2015.

• Upvote 1

Don't think there are a whole lot of people who feel that way. I think most would rather just stick with North Dakota and go without a nickname because than most will just continue to refer to the Sioux while if we had a new nickname others would just refer to us as that which I think a lot of people don't want to see happen and for good reason.

• Upvote 3

You are fixated on last season, as if the previous 5-10 years don't matter. The fact is, we have ended their season a lot more than the other way around. We'll just focus on getting them in the NCAA's and go back to ending their season like we did in 2005, 2007 and 2010.

A lot more? The U ended UND's season in 2002 and 2012. 1992 as well. And even more importanly, 1979. College hockey didnt start 10 years ago.

Don't think there are a whole lot of people who feel that way. I think most would rather just stick with North Dakota and go without a nickname because than most will just continue to refer to the Sioux while if we had a new nickname others would just refer to us as that which I think a lot of people don't want to see happen and for good reason.

Some people will refer to UND as the Sioux even with a new nickname. Look at Marquette, or Dartmouth they lost their name over 20 years ago and some people still refer to them as Warriors, or Indians.

• 5 months later...