SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux or non-Sioux Gear?

Hayduke

Previously there was a date that stores had to sell Sioux merchandise. It was like July 1st 2012 or something like that. Of course that was before the repeal of the repeal and the vote happened. I have not heard of any new dates for merchandisers to sell their Sioux merchandise by. I wonder if they will just be allowed to sell what they have till it runs out.

Do you like rainbows lollipops & unicorns too ?

You won are you still on the name pr payroll :silly:

He asked a question, I answered it. As to your questions, I do like rainbows and lollipops, don't know any unicorns, and never heard about a name pr payroll, whatever that is. But doesn't just about everyone like rainbows and lollipops?
  • Upvote 1

Previously there was a date that stores had to sell Sioux merchandise. It was like July 1st 2012 or something like that. Of course that was before the repeal of the repeal and the vote happened. I have not heard of any new dates for merchandisers to sell their Sioux merchandise by. I wonder if they will just be allowed to sell what they have till it runs out.

A cashier at the Sioux shop told me December. Then its whatever on the shelf.

Considering how much scrutiny the moniker issue has gotten from the NC$$ and others, I can't imagine somebody would commit a potential "booster" violation by giving free stuff to athletes. I think the 'su trolls are starting to pollute our collective "gene pool" ...

I just set up this thread to see how people felt about wearing Sioux gear at this time. I have to admit that I do like to wear mine, but felt a bit less than enthusiastic the day of the first exhibition men's hockey game.

Screw the NCAA...they can dictate to UND what the logo can be but the fans can/will carry on the tradition as long as they want...Get fired up!! We had the best logo in the country and nobody's stopping you from wearing it!! End of rant... :)
  • Upvote 4

I agree with you about the NCAA, although I don't know if there is actually anything they could do about it. But it is probably best not to poke that bear.

I have quite a bit of Sioux stuff and will probably continue to wear it. I don't have much plain UND stuff. I will wear it and will probably buy more. When a new nickname is chosen I will buy new stuff and wear that. Slowly I will wear the new stuff more and more, especially to games. I support UND no matter what the nickname is.

It would depend on the nickname. I might buy some of that gear. Maybe I'll hate it at first and then warm up to it. Hard to say.

I don't give my "game-day" attire much thought.

Most of it has "Sioux" on it, but alot of it just says North Dakota. I'm not making a conscientious decision to wear one or the other...............................

I make an effort to just refer to the teams as North Dakota, but I also continue to call them the Sioux quite often. I suspect I will continue to do so until I am informed that they are "officially" known as something other than North Dakota.

Until then, I have no internal quarrels about wearing my Sioux gear, and I likely won't have any problems with it after that day comes either................

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought this one would be appropriate.

I'm not sure if the writer is exaggerating the growth in Stanford Indians apparel, but the imagery is still sticking around and still has a strong following.

http://nativeappropr...ts-hit-too.html

Makes me thankful that the Sioux logo has class and dignity. I would have wanted to get rid of the Indian moniker at Stanford had I been there.

Makes me thankful that the Sioux logo has class and dignity. I would have wanted to get rid of the Indian moniker at Stanford had I been there.

I think the Sioux logo has been tasteful for awhile, but going back to the 60s and 70s, I believe that there were more fans open to the cartoonish and distasteful monikers that Stanford fans portrayed with their university. I saw an old link once a couple years ago that had a bunch of signs and t-shirts that Sioux fans had used back in the day and they weren't far off from what you can see in the link.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought this one would be appropriate.

I'm not sure if the writer is exaggerating the growth in Stanford Indians apparel, but the imagery is still sticking around and still has a strong following.

Her mind would implode if she walked around Spirt Lake.

People aren't going to quit wearing Sioux gear anytime soon. But as time moves on, particularly when UND picks a new mascot, you will see a slow transition. There will always be Sioux gear around though and people shouldn't have a problem with that. It is a large part of UND's history and tradition, but people need to remember that it is only a part of it and not all of it.

I think the Sioux logo has been tasteful for awhile, but going back to the 60s and 70s, I believe that there were more fans open to the cartoonish and distasteful monikers that Stanford fans portrayed with their university. I saw an old link once a couple years ago that had a bunch of signs and t-shirts that Sioux fans had used back in the day and they weren't far off from what you can see in the link.

Very true. I remember the early 80's when they brought back "Sammy Sioux" to run around in the old Engelstad. Many of the students were fairly disgusted and raised hell about it. It didn't last very long. That was before they dropped the Blackhawk jersey.

Her mind would implode if she walked around Spirt Lake.

People aren't going to quit wearing Sioux gear anytime soon. But as time moves on, particularly when UND picks a new mascot, you will see a slow transition. There will always be Sioux gear around though and people shouldn't have a problem with that. It is a large part of UND's history and tradition, but people need to remember that it is only a part of it and not all of it.

One of the best quotes I have heard about the whole nickname debate. Very well said.

That person is a poster child for much of what is wrong with this country - talk about a victim mentality - wow - just WOW.

Sorry, I felt the need to correct a false statement. Not all of us are going to get over it and accept it. People need to respect the fact that some of us will remain bitter and hold a grudge forever.

Okay, that's fine. I started this thread not for a fight, just to get some understanding of how people feel. Seriously, thanks for your input.

• Upvote 2

So I stop in from time to time out of concern for how the nickname is being treated by those who were so willing to throw it out like yeterday's trash. Got a problem with that?

Interesting comment from someone willing to trash an entire athletic department to keep a sports nickname.

The athletic dept. is worthless to me without the nickname. So what is your point?

Dave,

I still plan on wearing my gear until I kick it...the NCAA can dictate to UND but not to me so screw'em...For us old farts they'll always be the Sioux...and when my kids get old enough they'll wear the gear as well...Go Sioux/UND!!

• Upvote 1