SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

What do you mean Budish? He's had a pretty poor college career. He's just a big body and that's it, not a lot skill there. He should have played in the USHL right after high school for a year to develop, instead was rushed in at the U of M coming right out of high school. Then, he had the "infamous moped" accident that sidelined him for an entire year.

He's not a very good player. He'd be a third line player on this year's Sioux squad with everyone in the lineup and healthy, if that.

Haula, on the other hand is a player. He's pretty good. No question.

I made a joke in the offseason that Haula peed in public to draw attention to himself because it seems Gopher fans forget that he was actually their leading scorer last year. Which was funny because Lucia said the same thing earlier this week. Focus too much on Bjugstad and Rau and this kid will kill ya.

What do you mean Budish? He's had a pretty poor college career. He's just a big body and that's it, not a lot skill there. He should have played in the USHL right after high school for a year to develop, instead was rushed in at the U of M coming right out of high school. Then, he had the "infamous moped" accident that sidelined him for an entire year.

He's not a very good player. He'd be a third line player on this year's Sioux squad with everyone in the lineup and healthy, if that.

Wow are you wrong about Budish.

• Upvote 1

Wow are you wrong about Budish.

Please enlighten me then. He's an average skater at best. His puck handling skills for a big guy are less than stellar. He has a long way to develop in the next two years at the U of M if he wants to have a sniff in the NHL.

He's a second round draft pick. That was all based on size and "potential."

Well, I'm not a huge Budish fan either, but he did put up 35 points last year, and does currently lead his team in points.

I wouldn't call that such a poor career at the U. Even with the whole disaster on the moped.

Edit*

17 points as a Freshman

35 points as a guy coming back from blowing out his knee

I hate the gophers as much as the next guy, but Budish would likely be a top two line contributor for UND.

Well, I'm not a huge Budish fan either, but he did put up 35 points last year, and does currently lead his team in points.

I wouldn't call that such a poor career at the U. Even with the whole disaster on the moped.

This league is hard to score in, and 35 points is a very good number. I realize he played with Rau and Bjugstad for the majority of last year, but to put up that amount of points he has to bring something else to the table besides being a big body. I just wish he was a bit more physical, needs to take some notes from Bjugstad. That being said, I would take him in a heart beat at UND.

In those 35 points last year, look at the team he was on, but more importantly look at the line he was on last year. He only had "12" goals. A majority of his points were assists.

He's currently leading his squad now in points? Big deal! It was the first weekend of college hockey and Minnesota, while a very good team, played a terrible, TERRIBLE Michigan St. team.

Budish has 4 assits on the weekend. I sure hope he had some points, when his team won 5-1 and 7-1. I'm surprised the U of M goalies didn't have any points this weekend.

This league is hard to score in, and 35 points is a very good number. I realize he played with Rau and Bjugstad for the majority of last year, but to put up that amount of points he has to bring something else to the table besides being a big body. I just wish he was a bit more physical, needs to take some notes from Bjugstad. That being said, I would take him in a heart beat at UND.

Too bad, he doesn't!

In those 35 points last year, look at the team he was on, but more importantly look at the line he was on last year. He only had "12" goals. A majority of his points were assists.

He's currently leading his squad now in points? Big deal! It was the first weekend of college hockey and Minnesota, while a very good team, played a terrible, TERRIBLE Michigan St. team.

Budish has 4 assits on the weekend. I sure hope he had some points, when his team won 5-1 and 7-1. I'm surprised the U of M goalies didn't have any points this weekend.

I guess we have to agree to disagree, I think he is a solid player. He only had "12" goals last year, so? I would take another 12 goal scorer on my team every time. I can't believe I am defending a Gopher so adamantly, but I can't deny that I wouldn't mind if he was in a UND jersey instead of a Gopher one.

• Upvote 1

budish does need to develop more to make it to the nhl. that being said, nashville scouts at mariucci last year were overheard saying they like his development and his strength on the puck. he wasnt drafted to be a scorer.. thats just not what he is. his role is working in the corners and finding open linemates.. hence the assists

I guess we have to agree to disagree, I think he is a solid player. He only had "12" goals last year, so? I would take another 12 goal scorer on my team every time. I can't believe I am defending a Gopher so adamantly, but I can't deny that I wouldn't mind if he was in a UND jersey instead of a Gopher one.

I think most of us would take him on UND. I think his hatred for Minnesota is skewing his objectivity. Also, we don't know that Michigan State is going to be terrible yet. Kind of reminds me of the gopher fans who used to downgrade Ryan Duncan because supposedly he got his points playing with stars.

I have no hatred towards Minnesota on this current topic. I know a good hockey player when I see one, and Budish is far from that. He has a long way to go.

And about Michigan St. I watched both games this weekend. They were not an offensive threat and at times, my friends and I laughed as they stood still in their own end on 5 - 5. It was brutal, every player had their skates planted, while the Gophers looked like they were on a Power Play.

I think most of us would take him on UND. I think his hatred for Minnesota is skewing his objectivity. Also, we don't know that Michigan State is going to be terrible yet. Kind of reminds me of the gopher fans who used to downgrade Ryan Duncan because supposedly he got his points playing with stars.

And those were the people that didn't' watch the Sioux on a regular basis that year. Ryan Duncan was the most consistent player each and every night, regardless of him playing with Toews and Oshie. It was pretty obvious to notice.

Prior to that the Gophers have played non-conference road games at Bemidji State, New Hampshire, Boston U, Maine, Nebraska Omaha, a tourney in Alaska, plus Michigan/Michigan State every other year.

How many decades did you have to go back in the Gopher schedule archive to compile this list? :lol:;)

• Upvote 2

How many decades did you have to go back in the Gopher schedule archive to compile this list? :lol:;)

Quite a long time, BSU went back to Bemidji when they still played in the John Glas and Matt Demarchi was on the team... Long time. I know because I was at the game.

Nov. 23-24, 2012 - Minnesota @ Vermont

Nov. 25-26, 2011 - Minnesota @ Michigan State

Prior to that the Gophers have played non-conference road games at Bemidji State, New Hampshire, Boston U, Maine, Nebraska Omaha, a tourney in Alaska, plus Michigan/Michigan State every other year.

But yeah, other than that.....

What years were those?

Here's the facts...

In the last 5 seasons the Gofers have played a total of 6 non-conference games outside the state of Minnesota...all 3 series were the College Hockey Showdown against Michigan/Michigan State...

By comparison, the Sioux have played 15 non-conference games outside of North Dakota in the same 5 year stretch...thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you...

By comparison, the Sioux have played 15 non-conference games outside of North Dakota in the same 5 year stretch...thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you...

The Gophers used head out east for a weekend in return for getting a big time eastern team into the classic. As money got tight, the Gophers quit playing road games and the quality of opponent at the classic dropped. Not coincidently this happenned at the roughly the same time PWR devalued Strength of Schedule. UND's slightly tougher schedule might have got them the number one seed at the X last year.

Wow. A few people in this thread are showing an amazing lack of hockey knowledge. Anyone who doesn't think Budish is a good hockey player is killing any credibility they may have had to pontificate on the game of hockey.

Bingo. He isn't a standout by any means but to say he isn't a good hockey player is ridiculous.

I have no hatred towards Minnesota on this current topic. I know a good hockey player when I see one, and Budish is far from that. He has a long way to go.

And about Michigan St. I watched both games this weekend. They were not an offensive threat and at times, my friends and I laughed as they stood still in their own end on 5 - 5. It was brutal, every player had their skates planted, while the Gophers looked like they were on a Power Play.

You say he's had a poor colleger career so far, he would barely crack UND's third line, and he is far from being a good hockey player. So I have to ask......have you ever seen him play an actual game? There's not a better forward in the league along the boards or in front of the net. He's on the first pp unit for a reason.