SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Agreed. On paper, they look like the two strongest teams. I feel that we have a ton more depth than last year...if we can stay healthy, we have as good a shot as anyone else at unseating those two teams.

I want a full season of seeing what Rocco can do. That should be exciting after seeing glimpses during his four games last year.

Can you imagine this team with Nelson still on it? Wonder if he feels any regrets about signing now with the lockout...

Agreed. On paper, they look like the two strongest teams. I feel that we have a ton more depth than last year...if we can stay healthy, we have as good a shot as anyone else at unseating those two teams.

I want a full season of seeing what Rocco can do. That should be exciting after seeing glimpses during his four games last year.

Can you imagine this team with Nelson still on it? Wonder if he feels any regrets about signing now with the lockout...

Thought exactly the same thing today after watching an episode of through these doors or whatever it's called. Not many teams get their entire top unit back from the season before and had Nelson decided to stay I think UND might have gotten a vote or two more for the top spot in the league. Chemistry is a wonderful thing and Knight-Nelson-Kristo had a bit of it.

Best time of the year. The time of the year when all the big predictions are made and half way through the season we throw them out the door. Could anyone not named Minnesota or Boston College please win the national championship?

Well these two will meet in the first round of the NCAAs so we're halfway there...

Best time of the year. The time of the year when all the big predictions are made and half way through the season we throw them out the door. Could anyone not named Minnesota or Boston College please win the national championship?

All it takes is a little luck and your players to be clicking on all cylinders. Case in point UMD.

Honestly, I think UND has a stronger team on paper (than BC). I am not going to take anything away from the Goofs because, on paper, they're stacked. But BC lost significant production from last year in Kreider and Doumlamin (sp?).

Maybe a little but I doubt it. He has a great offseason and he has looked great for the Islanders this summer. Depending on how long the lockout is to last, I see him having a great AHL year. He had already figured out the college game and lets get one thing straight....he didn't go to UND for the education. He went there to get to the NHL. However, I too was worried with his terrible numbers at the tail end of the AHL season last year.

Honestly, I think UND has a stronger team on paper (than BC). I am not going to take anything away from the Goofs because, on paper, they're stacked. But BC lost significant production from last year in Kreider and Doumlamin (sp?).

If the gophers goaltending is decent, and lets say they average an 88-89% save percentage and a 2.6 GAA they should win the league. With the talent they have offensively teams will likely have to score four goals to beat them or play tremendously in their own end. Their top two lines will be tough to match up against, and they have a ton of experience back on the blue line.....Alt, Schmidt, Marshall, Helgeson, not to mention incoming Skjel.

Trying not to be too much of a homer here, but I think of all the teams in the WCHA, UND probably matches up better than any other team with Minnesota. I think its a toss up between which defensive unit is better, and right now I'll call UND's goaltending better with Saunders being a seasoned vet who saw a rubber factory worth of pucks in his career in Bama.

If the gophers goaltending is decent, and lets say they average an 88-89% save percentage and a 2.6 GAA they should win the league. With the talent they have offensively teams will likely have to score four goals to beat them or play tremendously in their own end. Their top two lines will be tough to match up against, and they have a ton of experience back on the blue line.....Alt, Schmidt, Marshall, Helgeson, not to mention incoming Skjel.

Trying not to be too much of a homer here, but I think of all the teams in the WCHA, UND probably matches up better than any other team with Minnesota. I think its a toss up between which defensive unit is better, and right now I'll call UND's goaltending better with Saunders being a seasoned vet who saw a rubber factory worth of pucks in his career in Bama.

I would say we match up pretty well considering we beat them last year with a very limited roster, and they had their top rookie in the lineup while we were without two of our top rookies. I like the fact that the preseason favorite seldom comes through, and I like our grit more than theirs, although they really took that up a notch last year with the addition of Guentzel to the coaching staff. That said, they do have home ice in the only head to head matchup this year.

I would say we match up pretty well considering we beat them last year with a very limited roster, and they had their top rookie in the lineup while we were without two of our top rookies. I like the fact that the preseason favorite seldom comes through, and I like our grit more than theirs, although they really took that up a notch last year with the addition of Guentzel to the coaching staff. That said, they do have home ice in the only head to head matchup this year.

I think right now its a toss up between UND and Minnesota and whichever team gets better goaltending will probably win the league. But right now its impossible to know which team will get the better goaltending as its a big question mark for both teams.

I think right now its a toss up between UND and Minnesota and whichever team gets better goaltending will probably win the league. But right now its impossible to know which team will get the better goaltending as its a big question mark for both teams.

OR, we both underachieve and St Cloud or Denver wins the league. Just wanna be hot in the one and done playoffs. The loss to Michigan at the X a few years ago will sit with me for a very long time. That team was LOADED but couldn't pull it off, and a gritty, less talented UMD squad wins it all.

OR, we both underachieve and St Cloud or Denver wins the league. Just wanna be hot in the one and done playoffs. The loss to Michigan at the X a few years ago will sit with me for a very long time. That team was LOADED but couldn't pull it off, and a gritty, less talented UMD squad wins it all.

The key is to finish in the top five of the WCHA, make the NCAA tournament, end up out east in a bracket that doesn't involve a Boston school, and not have a goaltender that goes absolutely out of his mind against you in the NCAA tournament.

Thats a good route.

The loss to Michigan at the X a few years ago will sit with me for a very long time. That team was LOADED but couldn't pull it off, and a gritty, less talented UMD squad wins it all.

Just like the loss to Michigan at Yost in 1998 sits with me. Or just like the loss to Harvard in 1989 sits with Gopher fans or the loss to Boston University in 1997 sits with Michigan fans. BC's had their share too.

BC's had their share too.

For sure. How many consecutive frozen fours did they make, and lose in, before they finally got it done against us in 2001 (in what appeared destined to be another failure for them after we'd tied it up late)? They certainly have things figured out now after that tough stretch. As a UND fan, seeing how many lumps they took before exhibiting the type of domination they have the last 10 years gives me hope that we could be on a similar path.

Other than the F4 loss to Michigan, the loss that sits with me the most is the '99 regional final in Madison against BC. I was one of the mere 2k in attendance that Sunday. Longest. Drive. Home. Ever.

• Upvote 1

The key is to finish in the top five of the WCHA, make the NCAA tournament, end up out east in a bracket that doesn't involve a Boston school, and not have a goaltender that goes absolutely out of his mind against you in the NCAA tournament.

Thats a good route.

I think it would be nice to have the trifecta with this being the last year of the WCHA. We are already assured of having the most # of WCHA titles, and I believe Minnesota is the only one that can catch us in the most Broadmoor trophies. That said, we sure could use another NCAA title to separate ourselves from the other rivals in that respect again.

For sure. How many consecutive frozen fours did they make, and lose in, before they finally got it done against us in 2001 (in what appeared destined to be another failure for them after we'd tied it up late)? They certainly have things figured out now after that tough stretch. As a UND fan, seeing how many lumps they took before exhibiting the type of domination they have the last 10 years gives me hope that we could be on a similar path.

Other than the F4 loss to Michigan, the loss that sits with me the most is the '99 regional final in Madison against BC. I was one of the mere 2k in attendance that Sunday. Longest. Drive. Home. Ever.

Yeah, I still cringe when I see or hear the name Shawn Hunwick.

The 1-0 loss to Denver in the 2004 West Regional Final is another tough one.

Ok, Ok. Enough already!! I am getting depressed!!!

Just like the loss to Michigan at Yost in 1998 sits with me. Or just like the loss to Harvard in 1989 sits with Gopher fans or the loss to Boston University in 1997 sits with Michigan fans. BC's had their share too.

I forgot one! 2009 Miami national championship against Boston University...Miami up 3-1 with 1:30 left in the game...at 19:01 BU scores...at 19:43 BU scores and sends the game into OT. 11:47 into OT...ballgame BU. Ouch.

I forgot one! 2009 Miami national championship against Boston University...Miami up 3-1 with 1:30 left in the game...at 19:01 BU scores...at 19:43 BU scores and sends the game into OT. 11:47 into OT...ballgame BU. Ouch.

Yes! I remember watching that, rooting for Miami, and then those chowder-heads pull off a miracle to tie it, and that damn fluky deflection over the Miami goalie's shoulder to win the title in OT. OUCH.

Yes! I remember watching that, rooting for Miami, and then those chowder-heads pull off a miracle to tie it, and that damn fluky deflection over the Miami goalie's shoulder to win the title in OT. OUCH.

I think I recall hearing last spring during Miami's game against BC that either BC or BU has finished off Miami's season something like 7 years in a row. Now THAT'S heartache.

EDIT: Miami has been eliminated by either BC or BU five times since 2006:

06: BC

07: BC

08: BC

09: BU

10: BC