SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 6 Polls

Matt

The Sports Network FCS Top 25 College Football Poll Team (First-place votes) 2012 Record Points Previous Rank 1. North Dakota State Bison (156) 4-0 4204 1 2. Montana State Bobcats (6) 5-0 3974 2 3. Youngstown State Penguins (7) 4-0 3857 3 4. Old Dominion Monarchs 5-0 3691 4 5. James Madison Dukes 3-1 3380 5 6. Wofford Terriers 4-0 3321 6 7. Eastern Washington Eagles 3-1 3157 7 8. Georgia Southern Eagles 3-1 2663 10 9. Illinois State Redbirds 5-0 2602 13 9. Sam Houston State Bearkats 2-2 2602 9 11. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 5-0 2120 15 12. Towson Tigers 2-2 2076 12 13. Stony Brook Seawolves 4-1 2036 18 14. New Hampshire Wildcats 3-2 1847 20 15. Appalachian State Mountaineers 3-2 1789 17 16. Delaware Blue Hens 4-1 1697 8 17. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 4-1 1479 19 18. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 4-1 1234 22 19. The Citadel Bulldogs 3-2 1192 11 20. Cal Poly Mustangs 4-0 1172 23 21. McNeese State Cowboys 4-1 723 24 22. Northern Iowa Panthers 1-4 691 14 23. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 4-1 618 25 24. Central Arkansas Bears 3-2 602 16 25. Harvard Crimson 3-0 426 NR

Others receiving votes: Tennessee State 400, Albany 266, Montana 261, Stephen F. Austin 119, Samford 119, Alabama A&M 114, Villanova 102, Indiana State 67, North Dakota 56, Richmond 47, Jacksonville State 32, Eastern Illinois 27, Bethune-Cookman 25, UT Martin 25, Sacramento State 23, Chattanooga 22, Tennessee Tech 19, Howard 13, Southern Utah 8, Jacksonville 8, Southeastern Louisiana 6, Duquesne 5, Brown 4, Lafayette 2, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 1, South Dakota 1.

http://www.sportsnet...oot225poll.aspx

Cal Poly is below where they should end up. UNI is still high, regardless of what that team does the rest of the season, they shouldn't be making the playoffs. MVFC ppl can talk about UNI's schedule all they want, UNI can blame the AD and finances for them missing the playoffs.

Coach's Poll October 1, 2012

Team (No. 1 Votes) 2012 Record Points Previous Ranking

1. North Dakota State (26) 4-0 650 1

2. Montana State 5-0 616 2

3. Youngstown State 4-0 597 3

4. Old Dominion 5-0 578 4

5. Wofford 4-0 534 5

6. James Madison 3-1 506 6

7. Eastern Washington 3-1 486 7

8. Georgia Southern 3-1 450 9

9. Sam Houston State 2-2 415 10

10. Lehigh 5-0 406 11

11. Illinois State 5-0 396 12

12. Towson 2-2 315 13

13. Stony Brook 4-1 309 18

14. Appalachian State 3-2 294 16

15. Delaware 4-1 278 8

16. Eastern Kentucky 4-1 241 19

17. New Hampshire 3-2 227 22

18. McNeese State 4-1 198 21

19. Cal Poly 4-0 167 23

20. Central Arkansas 3-2 121 14

21. Northern Arizona 4-1 117 NR

22. The Citadel 3-2 114 15

23. Harvard 3-0 108 24

24. Tennessee State 5-0 82 NR

25. Northern Iowa 1-4 60 17

Others Receiving Votes: Albany (59), Montana (35), Alabama A&M (20), South Dakota State (18), Jacksonville State (12), Indiana State (10), Stephen F. Austin (9), Samford (7), North Dakota (7), Eastern Illinois (5), Villanova (3)

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/FCS/polls/2012/2012_FCS_Coaches_Poll/index.html

Was wondering if Poly could run the table but I see their toughest remaining games are on the road at EWU and NAU. Head in the mud question here....just looking at their schedule and noticed they don't have Montana or Montana State....is that just luck of a draw in schedule rotation from the Big Sky?

Was wondering if Poly could run the table but I see their toughest remaining games are on the road at EWU and NAU. Head in the mud question here....just looking at their schedule and noticed they don't have Montana or Montana State....is that just luck of a draw in schedule rotation from the Big Sky?

Luck of the draw. And, the EWU game is non-conference I believe so won't count in the conference standings, although I believe would be used for tiebreaker purposes if they were to tie atop the standings.

Luck of the draw. And on the opposite end, UND does not get to play Weber State or Idaho State. UND has by far the toughest Big Sky schedule.

Your schedule is a meat grinder no doubt. That is quite the break for Poly....on paper anyway.

No, its a break for them all the way around. Montana and Montana State are much, much better than ISU and Weber every day of the year. ISU and Weber are in 12th and 13th place.

Substitute those two into UND's schedule and I am pretty confident we get 6 or 7 wins.

Out of the rest of our schedule EWU scares me more than M or MSU. Unfortunately that game is now, and right now our defense is bad. How do we give up a 60 yard fullback dive? Seriously that was hard to watch. All momentum we had was dead.

I usually try to be positive but if we do not get major pressure on their QB this week we are toast.

With the new Big Sky look and adding the 4 new schools this year you have to grasp the situation at hand. Yes, there will be teams with "harder" and "softer" schedules. Each team has thier 2 "Rivalry" games that will be played each year, then the rest of the schedule is a crap-shoot. What we get out of this is two fold. One, you get to schedule a non-con game with a BSC oppenent that alows you a chance at that "7" FCS wins qualification without having to travel "too" far budget wise. And Two, now the BSC is a bigger and tougher conference as a whole. What this does is it provides more opportunity for teams in the BSC to obtain an "At-Large" bid with the expansion of the playoff field to 20 teams. All things said, you might be surprised when a Cal-Poly potentially doesn't make the cut and a couple other BSC teams make the playoffs that have a worse record based on the "Quality" of the W's. The playoff selection comittee takes all things into consideration including "Strength of Schedule".

With the new Big Sky look and adding the 4 new schools this year you have to grasp the situation at hand. Yes, there will be teams with "harder" and "softer" schedules. Each team has thier 2 "Rivalry" games that will be played each year, then the rest of the schedule is a crap-shoot. What we get out of this is two fold. One, you get to schedule a non-con game with a BSC oppenent that alows you a chance at that "7" FCS wins qualification without having to travel "too" far budget wise. And Two, now the BSC is a bigger and tougher conference as a whole. What this does is it provides more opportunity for teams in the BSC to obtain an "At-Large" bid with the expansion of the playoff field to 20 teams. All things said, you might be surprised when a Cal-Poly potentially doesn't make the cut and a couple other BSC teams make the playoffs that have a worse record based on the "Quality" of the W's. The playoff selection comittee takes all things into consideration including "Strength of Schedule".

This all makes sense but my point was the teams actually have to get the "wins" to be considered. If a team ends up with 7 wins, than Yes, stength of schedule comes into play. But getting those 7 wins is a hell of alot harder when you have MT and MTST on your schedule vs. Weber and ISU.

This all makes sense but my point was the teams actually have to get the "wins" to be considered. If a team ends up with 7 wins, than Yes, stength of schedule comes into play. But getting those 7 wins is a hell of alot harder when you have MT and MTST on your schedule vs. Weber and ISU.

I agree. There will be years when the luck of the draw bites you in the butt, however you have to admit if you want to be the last one standing in FriscoTX, you're gonna have to beat quality competition along the way even if it's the third and fourth game of your regular season. All I meant by my post was that it should be exciting again for UND fans that becoming a part of the BSC means year in and year out there will be multiple teams from the BSC going to the playoffs. And definatley a better chance than the previous years for UND being a member of the great west conf.

I agree. There will be years when the luck of the draw bites you in the butt, however you have to admit if you want to be the last one standing in FriscoTX, you're gonna have to beat quality competition along the way even if it's the third and fourth game of your regular season. All I meant by my post was that it should be exciting again for UND fans that becoming a part of the BSC means year in and year out there will be multiple teams from the BSC going to the playoffs. And definatley a better chance than the previous years for UND being a member of the great west conf.

How do Montana State fans feel about UND in the Big Sky? As you probably know, the majority of UND fans are very pleased. I have several relatives that went to Montana State, so looking forward to the rivalry games in the years to come.

We are definitely happy about being in the Big Sky and having a shot at the playoffs, don't get me wrong. This season has so much more excitement to it!

How do Montana State fans feel about UND in the Big Sky? As you probably know, the majority of UND fans are very pleased. I have several relatives that went to Montana State, so looking forward to the rivalry games in the years to come.

I am very pleased with adding UND. Everyone that attends my tailgate feels the same way. We feel that the type of Midwest fan that supports UND is the same type of fan that we are, so to speak. DEFENSE wins titles! Cold weather, Rain, Snow..........smashmouth toughguy football! My father is really excited about adding UND. He went to MSU in the 60's and remembers the battles between CATS and the SIOUX. Since I've been reading some of the forums, I've noticed that GF trends more towards UND hockey than the football program. Over here, no hockey, CATS football is front and center. Hopefully with getting the exposure the BSC offers, your home fan base will get bigger. We recently took a huge turn in the right direction for our program. It is still in recent memory for me our 0-fer season. If you research the last decade or so, the BSC has had a representative in the title game almost every year, and if not the title game, definately the semi's. These things help Big Sky programs across the board. Our recent stadium renovation upped our attendance to over 20,000 a game. I hope to see your attendance grow too. Anyone gonna make the trip to Bozeman this year?

Northern Iowa, 1-4 ranked #22?? What a joke. I don't care who you lost to. If you are 1-4, you have no business being in the top 25!

Agreed, any argument that could have been made in the previous weeks has been invalidated. 1-4 no matter who you play should not get you ranked.

With UM out of the polls and UNI barely holding on...when was the last time both teams unranked?

Well UNI should not be there, but it was said last week if they go out of the Top 25 it would be the first time in 97 weeks, guess they made it to 98

They are good but not top 25 good right now, they lost some key injuries and are VERY young

Turns out this is the first week in 195 that dates back to 1998 that Montana has not been in the polls

All things said, you might be surprised when a Cal-Poly potentially doesn't make the cut and a couple other BSC teams make the playoffs that have a worse record based on the "Quality" of the W's. The playoff selection comittee takes all things into consideration including "Strength of Schedule".

My prediction is that with Cal Poly not having the Cats, the Griz, or the Eagles on the conference slate, they are going to get the auto-bid. At the very most, I only see 2 losses on the rest of Poly's schedule: EWU and NAU. And at this point, I don't think they'll lose either of those games, just sayin' they will be the two toughest games left for them, and only one of them will be a league game. Anything can happen, but given what I've seen from CP, even prior to this weekend, I'd be shocked if they finish any worse than 7-1 in conference play....................