SiouxSports.com Forum

Suggestion for new nickname?

BobCat

Hey gang! MSU Bobcat fan here. So it seems as though your nickname and mascot are going to be officially voted out of usage, so I thought I would drop a suggestion here. I haven't looked trough all the suggestions, so maybe this has already been thrown around. But it would seem with your state's recent successes in the natural resources field, how about a new nickname of the Oilers? Yes, it is already used as a moniker for an NHL team (Edmonton), and was used in the past for an NFL team (Houston). But it could be done pretty cool. The UND Oilers, and you could have an image of either an oil rig, or maybe a scowling roughneck wearing a hardhat. Just a thought....

Welcome Bobcat.

Somewhere in some thread, Oilers, Roughnecks and Wildcatters have been suggested.

Thanks! Yeah, that's gotta be tough and something I don't envy that your school has to go through. It will be hard to find a new moniker that you will be able to get everybody behind. Good luck my friends, and welcome to the Big Sky Conference! Can't wait for our two schools to match up on the gridiron!

• Upvote 1

Thanks! Yeah, that's gotta be tough and something I don't envy that your school has to go through. It will be hard to find a new moniker that you will be able to get everybody behind. Good luck my friends, and welcome to the Big Sky Conference! Can't wait for our two schools to match up on the gridiron!

Yes, welcome and thanks for a no smack comment! Very refreshing.

Although I am not opposed to the name Oilers, I think the majority of people are pushing towards either Rough Riders or Outlaws. A few more names have hit the drawing board but those seem to be the most popular on here thus far.

Outlaws?

Isn't that NDSU's nickname?

• Upvote 3

Can't happen.

The 'earth-loving', enviro-nut extremists on every campus in the country would hammer us for advocating the pilaging of 'Mother Earth'.

We'd surely be known as the "fracking bas---ds" in no time.

Tell me I'm wrong.

I kind of like it, the "Fracking Bas---ds". :whistling::lol: I'm pretty sure it's unique.

Can't happen.

The 'earth-loving', enviro-nut extremists on every campus in the country would hammer us for advocating the pilaging of 'Mother Earth'.

We'd surely be known as the "fracking bas---ds" in no time.

Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong? :)

So what's going to happen to facilities like The Ralph? Doesn't that have the Sioux logo embalzened all over the arena? And if I'm not mistaken, I thought I had heard a rumour that Mr. Engelstad had threatened to not fund the arena if the Sioux logo was ever dismissed. What happens to The Ralph now?

Another thing -- riddle me this. The Sioux moniker is offensive to some because it's racist (sorry, I don't buy it), but one of the alternatives that might be considered is Explorers, in honor of Lewis & Clark. So why would people not be offended to that, seeing how Lewis & Clark's expedition into Indian country really began the downfall of the native Americans by opening the West up to white man expansion and eventually pusing native Americans onto their current reservations. In essence, saying you support the Explorers as a new logo is the same as saying I support the eradication of Indian peoples.

So what's going to happen to facilities like The Ralph? Doesn't that have the Sioux logo embalzened all over the arena? And if I'm not mistaken, I thought I had heard a rumour that Mr. Engelstad had threatened to not fund the arena if the Sioux logo was ever dismissed. What happens to The Ralph now?

Nothing happens to the Ralph at this time. Ralph Engelstad is gone so we don't know his opinion on the current state of affairs, but he did threaten to halt construction of the arena back when it was being built (around 12 years ago IIRC). UND will continue to use the Ralph, as I'm sure he would've wanted them to given the present circumstances (NCAA changed the rules after his passing). The logo at center ice and other non-permanent logos were changed for this year. However, the logos in the floors, all over the outside of the building, and on the seats, walls, etc. will still be there. I believe there is a retirement schedule for certain, less costly to remove logos, but I don't see the logos in the granite/marble/whatever floors going away any time soon. Also, I believe UND is allowed to keep using the Fighting Sioux WHCA and NCAA championship banners due to historical significance.

Another thing -- riddle me this. The Sioux moniker is offensive to some because it's racist (sorry, I don't buy it), but one of the alternatives that might be considered is Explorers, in honor of Lewis & Clark. So why would people not be offended to that, seeing how Lewis & Clark's expedition into Indian country really began the downfall of the native Americans by opening the West up to white man expansion and eventually pusing native Americans onto their current reservations. In essence, saying you support the Explorers as a new logo is the same as saying I support the eradication of Indian peoples.

The main category of people offended by the moniker were caucasian, liberal arts faculty members. One really can't expect them to think rationally in these sorts of situations.

The NCAA policy is just related to Native American names and imagery. Explorers, for example, can have a lot of meanings that have nothing to do with Native Americans. It would not be a problem. The tribe members that have problems with using Native American names and imagery usually complain that doing so helps perpetuate stereotypes or makes them into cartoon figures. Or else they are upset about non-Natives using their identity when the team members are not actually members of the tribe. Kind of like someone using your name for business without your permission. There has been no opposition to anything related to the US Army, Cavalry, Explorers or anything else that could be related to the white man expansion into Native home areas.

Hey gang! MSU Bobcat fan here. So it seems as though your nickname and mascot are going to be officially voted out of usage, so I thought I would drop a suggestion here. I haven't looked trough all the suggestions, so maybe this has already been thrown around. But it would seem with your state's recent successes in the natural resources field, how about a new nickname of the Oilers? Yes, it is already used as a moniker for an NHL team (Edmonton), and was used in the past for an NFL team (Houston). But it could be done pretty cool. The UND Oilers, and you could have an image of either an oil rig, or maybe a scowling roughneck wearing a hardhat. Just a thought....

That would probably be hostile and abusive to the rig workers. ???