SiouxSports.com Forum

"When They Were Kings" UND-NDSU Rivalry

airmail

Yeah I'll give you the 90's but all the games were close. But if for not for the reductions I think we retain the edge. An example is Mike Moony quote after UND won said he would have been at NDSU but they were out of scholarships. He turned out to be a star player for you guys and bone head move on Rocky's part. After the reduction to 36 a lot of NAIA and DIII schools jumped in and it really watered down the division. You have to get to the point when you put in the 2's you don't notice any drop in performance. After the Delta State BS that's when NDSU decided for sure to jump to I-AA.

The cut in scholarships also hurt NDSU in that it takes alot of schollies devoted to the offensive side of the ball when you run the veer and it took away from their defense as time went on......guess they could have illegally funded them like N. Alabama did in the early 90's but I digress.

I recorded it so I'll rewatch it, but I don't recall Mooney's decision hinging on $. He told an embarrassing story about the ndsu recruiter which pushed him to choose Grand Forks.

Also, as long was we are talking about the big picture here, a guy named Joe Glenn got the head job at Northern Colorado in 1989 and by 1996 was on the front end of back to back national titles. It wasn't just Roger Thomas that was building a program while Hager's program was declining.

And how have those UNC Bears been the last decade??!! :)

Yeah I'll give you the 90's but all the games were close. But if for not for the reductions I think we retain the edge. An example is Mike Moony quote after UND won said he would have been at NDSU but they were out of scholarships. He turned out to be a star player for you guys and bone head move on Rocky's part. After the reduction to 36 a lot of NAIA and DIII schools jumped in and it really watered down the division. You have to get to the point when you put in the 2's you don't notice any drop in performance. After the Delta State BS that's when NDSU decided for sure to jump to I-AA.

Not all. UND 34 NDSU 13 in 1994 stands out in my head since it was the first UND-NDSU game played in the Fargodome. Then UND got blown out by NDSU in a playoff game in 1995 or 96 one of them. But most were close.

Mooney said nothing about them being out of scholarships, he wad told he was too small to be a Bison but that he would be a great locker room/weight room guy. In his words he said 'cheerleader in the weight room'. Ndsu has always used negative recruiting while und has always been positive. Why do you think UND usually gets more high character guys?

Are you just trying to start trouble or what is the deal with this comment?

NDSU has a history of having more guys get in trouble. It's a fact. Not smack. What I'm getting it is possibly the way they recruit is more attractive to the type of guy who would be more likely to get into trouble off the field.

I was recruited by both and I didn't experience one difference in style or language in my recruitment. To say that UND usually gets more high character guys is a homer statement and you know it. Not a fact. Players get in trouble at every single school in the country, it has very little reflection on the level of their character.

I was recruited by both and I didn't experience one difference in style or language in my recruitment. To say that UND usually gets more high character guys is a homer statement and you know it. Not a fact. Players get in trouble at every single school in the country, it has very little reflection on the level of their character.

I and any of my teammates/friends who were recruited by both schools noticed that UND only talked about UND and how good it would be for UND to get 'a player like you'. NDSU on the other hand would ask 'who else is recruiting you?' and then go about saying what is wrong with those other programs and why NDSU is better and how lucky you are as a player that NDSU would even consider you. NDSU recruiters came across as dicks and UND recruiters made you feel like family.

I and any of my teammates/friends who were recruited by both schools noticed that UND only talked about UND and how good it would be for UND to get 'a player like you'. NDSU on the other hand would ask 'who else is recruiting you?' and then go about saying what is wrong with those other programs and why NDSU is better and how lucky you are as a player that NDSU would even consider you. NDSU recruiters came across as dicks and UND recruiters made you feel like family.

Consider the sources man. You were speaking with people who ended up choosing UND, of course they aren't going to have amazing things to say about NDSU they didn't choose to attend NDSU. What's interesting is I would say that NDSU recruiters made me feel much more like a family than UND did. So just goes to show you that your opinion on something is all based on perspective.

Edit: For the record I don't recall anyone at NDSU ever asking me who else was recruiting me. I can't speak for how things were before I played though.

NDSU has a history of having more guys get in trouble. It's a fact. Not smack. What I'm getting it is possibly the way they recruit is more attractive to the type of guy who would be more likely to get into trouble off the field.

They have a tradition of recruiting ne'er-do-wells and no-good-nicks.

Believe what you want.

Some things never change. According to the Bison hard-liners, NDSU has never lost a recruit to UND. N-E-V-E-R! Every football player in North Dakota (and the whole tri-state area) dreams about suiting up for the Thundering Herd........and UND gets the leftovers. :silly:

Believe what you want. :whistling:

Last night I watched When they were Kings (DVR'd it) and it was painful to watch NDSU blowout UND in the 1980's. As a kid I remember UND just not being able to compete with the Bison. They made us look like a high school team. Then in 91 and 92 UND came close and I mean damn close to overtaking them but somehow NDSU found a way to win (1992-INT). 1993 (I was at that game with my parents) was the game I absolutely loved. Packed crowd, NDSU guy blabbing his big mouth then getting kicked out (we sat on the Bison side), and a great game. Watching fans ripping down the goal post in victory was a sight I have never seen before. That documentry did a great job on both sides. The women's basketball part was great too. I was at the 1997 National Title game. Packed crowd and it was loud just like every Sioux-Bison game was at the Hyslop. UND had great players (I loved Tiffany Pudenz :love: , and Jenny Crouse :love: ). Hopefully NDSU can get into the Big Sky for basketball so at least the Sioux-Bison games will have more meaning. Watching that show made me miss the old NCC days. I wish there was a way to get that conference back together...all of them (Morningside optional). That conference was the best of DII sports IMO. Maybe with the switching of conferences and teams in the FBS someday UND and NDSU will be reunited into the same conference. A person can only dream.

• Upvote 1

I recorded it so I'll rewatch it, but I don't recall Mooney's decision hinging on $. He told an embarrassing story about the ndsu recruiter which pushed him to choose Grand Forks.

Also, as long was we are talking about the big picture here, a guy named Joe Glenn got the head job at Northern Colorado in 1989 and by 1996 was on the front end of back to back national titles. It wasn't just Roger Thomas that was building a program while Hager's program was declining.

Mooney said the only spot on NDSU for him was being a male cheerleader. Also Jenny Crouse was recruited by both but wanted to go to who had a good avational school....UND!! Not all recruting battles were won by NDSU, in the 80's sure but 90's and 2000's. It was pretty dead even.