SiouxSports.com Forum

The other ND School to the ACC

IrishSiouxFan

Looks like Notre Dame is headed to the ACC for all sports except football. I honestly would have thought that with all the conference realignments going on that after their NBC deal expired they would have ended up in the Big10. It's too bad Notre Dame, BC, and BU didn't join UND and Denver in the NCHC, that would have been fierce!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8369070/notre-dame-sports-football-hockey-acc

The ACC has really drunk the mega-conference kool-aid, haven't they? Nice for Notre Dame to keep its basketball rivalries with the old Big East schools, but the "half in" deal for football is just odd and is clearly the best the ACC could get out of ND.

The Big 10 seems to be the snubbed loser, though (if it wasn't already obvious) I'm not completely convinced by these mega-conferences, so we'll see how it goes.

I wonder if the addition of schools like Boise State and Memphis is what turned off Notre Dame. Obviously Boise is a football powerhouse and Memphis is likewise in basketball, but neither school is academically appealing. To be honest I'm glad ND chose the ACC over the Big 10, it keeps the BTHC at 6.

The ACC has really drunk the mega-conference kool-aid, haven't they? Nice for Notre Dame to keep its basketball rivalries with the old Big East schools, but the "half in" deal for football is just odd and is clearly the best the ACC could get out of ND.

The Big 10 seems to be the snubbed loser, though (if it wasn't already obvious) I'm not completely convinced by these mega-conferences, so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I agree with you. I am a huge Notre Dame fan, and I have to say, long term if ND football has to be in a conference, I want it to be the Big Ten. The scheduling arrangement really is kinda strange, almost like ND will be only quasi independent.

The hits keep coming for the Big East.

The ACC conference for basketball, which was looking pretty amazing with Pitt and Syracuse joining, will now have another solid program in the Irish. Duke, UNC, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame... wow. Looking forward to those Duke/Notre Dame games already.

So in review, Notre Dame keeps football independent for now, ACC schools get 5 games with the Irish in football, which should help them gain a little more respecability (haven't been the greatest few years for the ACC), and an already strong basketball conference get stronger.

So eveyone wins! Except for the Big East, and to a smaller extent the Big 10.

The more I think about this it's just another step on the path to the vision that Nick Saban vocalized recently:

"But I think, eventually in college football, we're going to have to get to where there's 60 or 70 teams in this Division I, whatever you want to call it. And these teams need to be playing each other." Saban said.

www.footballscoop.com/news/714...e-fbs-level#FCS

And that makes sense given what the Sun Belt commissioner said recently.

''The goal of the Sun Belt right now is to be the best of the quote, 'below the line conferences,''' Benson said in a recent interview. ''There's going to be five (conferences) above the line and five below the line. The Sun Belt's goal is going to be to compete with those other conferences.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/s...055--ncaaf.html

Notre Dame "consolidating" into one of the "above the line" conferences ensures them a seat "above the line" or in the 70 or so that Saban mentions.

I don't believe Saban or Benson created the vision, but I do believe they're talking about it because forces are in motion to make it happen.

Why will it happen? Money.

Why is it that ND never joined a football conference? Do they feel special to be an Independent?

I believe during the earlier part of the 20th century they tried several times to join the Big 10. But due to anti-catholic views of the time they were denied entrance and competed as an independent. I believe that is the main reason they are reluctant to give up their football independence.

I believe during the earlier part of the 20th century they tried several times to join the Big 10. But due to anti-catholic views of the time they were denied entrance and competed as an independent. I believe that is the main reason they are reluctant to give up their football independence.

That may be part of it. But I would guess that the TV contract that puts them on national television for every game and gives them lots of $$$$$$ is a bigger reason for why they want to stay an independent in football. Why give up the $$$$ if you don't have to.

Why is it that ND never joined a football conference? Do they feel special to be an Independent?

They were perennial favorites for a national title and build a helluva brand along the way. Then you had the rise of schools like Miami and others that placed less emphasis on academics than ND. So ND was gamely riding on the Rockne, Parshegian, Devine, and Holtz legacies, while also dealing with guys like Willingham and Weis the past decade or so. Not really a big ND fan, but it's nice to see a school with higher academic standards have a solid contender on the field.

Oh yeah, and money. ;)

That may be part of it. But I would guess that the TV contract that puts them on national television for every game and gives them lots of $$$$$$ is a bigger reason for why they want to stay an independent in football. Why give up the $$$$ if you don't have to.

So $$$ from tv basically pays for their home in the Independent league....what will pay for Idaho to go the Indy route? That's what I don't get, is that Idaho can't afford to not be in a conference so their best choice was to drop down to the BSC.

So $$$ from tv basically pays for their home in the Independent league....what will pay for Idaho to go the Indy route? That's what I don't get, is that Idaho can't afford to not be in a conference so their best choice was to drop down to the BSC.

I think it is more about pride for Idaho. No one wants to go backwards and admit that things didn't work out. Especially when it worked for everyone else. That's the position that Idaho is in right now. Pretty much everyone else that has been in the WAC with them have moved on and up, but Idaho doesn't have the same options. That has to be difficult to accept.
  • Upvote 1

I think it is more about pride for Idaho. No one wants to go backwards and admit that things didn't work out. Especially when it worked for everyone else. That's the position that Idaho is in right now. Pretty much everyone else that has been in the WAC with them have moved on and up, but Idaho doesn't have the same options. That has to be difficult to accept.

Either they are going to drop down or drop football alltogether, because Indy football will bankrupt their athletic program. There is pride and there is reality (us UND fans know all to well about that).