SiouxSports.com Forum

Gladiators on Ice

diggin42

Very stupid and dangerous. I seriously hope that REA is not allowing this. This is the sort of things that people die doing. Even if it is full gear and there are medical professionals on hand the numbers of peole that are getting f---ed up doing this is alarming. Let the Canadiens keep it for their second native sport, we don't need it.

Very stupid and dangerous. I seriously hope that REA is not allowing this. This is the sort of things that people die doing. Even if it is full gear and there are medical professionals on hand the numbers of peole that are getting f---ed up doing this is alarming. Let the Canadiens keep it for their second native sport, we don't need it.

Amen.

You don't watch boxing then I take it. This will be safer than boxing, considering they'll have helmets on.

I think boxing is the main reasons why not to have this. Look at Mike Tyson. Do we need more people like him around?

Fights are not as comon as they used to be in hockey so I like them just the way they are now.

It doesn't sound like REA is saying they don't want it. :)

I don't care as long as it doesn't come here. Major Juniors is so high on fighting, then maybe it should be held in Canada. Or just have it in Las Vegas or Atlantic City. You don't really need a hockey rink for this event. Just ice. Who really cares about the conditions of the ice as long as you could theoretically skate on it ;)

A new hockey tournament proposes to skip the finer points of the high-speed sport to get straight to what its Canadian promoters say many fans secretly love best: the brawls.

People who go to hockey games in order to see a fight need to get a life. Sure, it's great to see the emotions running high, and teammates defending their star players and goaltender, but the premise of the event is absolutely ridiculous. :) It's just fighting for the sake of fighting, and that has no place in the game of hockey. It does nothing but promote bad sportsmanship, and encourage kids to fight in their games. Make no mistake, I like to see a good tussle now and then, but taken out of the context of a game, it's nothing more than staged boxing on ice. I sincerely hope this remains some underground, cult-type event, and that high-class facilities like the REA and Xcel never stoop low enough to allow this event to take place on their pristine ice sheets.

In hockey fights that take place during games, the linesmen usually move in to break up fisticuffs when one of the combatants falls on the ice. Jaeger said he was unsure what would bring the staged hockey fights to a conclusion.

:)

This doesn't sound very well-planned at all. Maybe they will just go to the death.

Funny, when I think about hockey I think about Messier, Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and such. I think about great goals and saves. Brawls are merely an afterthought. My mom doesn't know squat about hockey and she doesn't think of it as a fight except for the stereotype, "There was a fight and a hockey game broke out."

So, with Reality TV and the Cohen brothers making a great deal of money off of stereotypes, typecasting, and morons, these guys just want to get in on the $$$