SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3 UND at the big SDSU

geaux_sioux

I have to agree with bin that this years team (as of now) appears to give Muss a little more flexibility to coach to win. The games that stand out to me during our transition that sum it up better than the FBS games are the Montana and South Dakota St games. In those games we struggled to complete 5-10 yard out and curl routes. Getting a 4th and 10+ during those times would have required a penalty to convert.

The part of me that agrees with Oxbow however was when we sat on the ball before half when we did have a lead vs. Idaho. That was disappointing but I think with the offense we have now, we go for the points. I was interested to se what would have happened last week vs. Portland if we wouldn't have blocked that punt before half to set up the TD. Would we have went for the points and just been happy taking a 4 point lead into half?

And that's why he did not have the stones to go for it. Easy way out...that's what coaches do as to not take heat to protect their jobs. They can all go back to the "percentages" said I need to do this. I get it and I don't blame him for making the "percentage" call. It was the right call based on the "numbers" and the right call in probably any other scenerio. Again, what did UND have to lose? Answer that please??? On the road vs. FBS team who was heavily favored to kick your a88 and you have the opportunity to get your 1st FBS win in this new era. We can agaree to disagree here. It wasn't a bad call, just not the right call IMO under the set of circumstances that presented. Arm chair QBing I know, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn before!

In Muss we trust!! :hypocrite:

You ask what UND had to lose. They had the game to lose, which they did anyway. What did they have to gain by going for it on 4th and 15? It is very likely that UND would have gained nothing by going for it. The odds against succeeding on the play were very high. As a matter of fact, it is likely that they would have guaranteed the loss with more than 3 minutes to go by failing on 4th down and turning the ball over near mid field. The punt gave them a couple of chances to stop Fresno. You want to be overly aggressive. Many of us would rather play smart and take the best chance to win, which is often playing the percentages. It has nothing to do with having stones. It is all about playing smart and doing what gives you the best chance of winning. That's what smart coaches do, and then take chances at strategic times. Now, if UND had been down by 9 or more points at that time, then going for it on 4th down would have made a lot of sense.

You ask what UND had to lose. They had the game to lose, which they did anyway. What did they have to gain by going for it on 4th and 15? It is very likely that UND would have gained nothing by going for it. The odds against succeeding on the play were very high. As a matter of fact, it is likely that they would have guaranteed the loss with more than 3 minutes to go by failing on 4th down and turning the ball over near mid field. The punt gave them a couple of chances to stop Fresno. You want to be overly aggressive. Many of us would rather play smart and take the best chance to win, which is often playing the percentages. It has nothing to do with having stones. It is all about playing smart and doing what gives you the best chance of winning. That's what smart coaches do, and then take chances at strategic times. Now, if UND had been down by 9 or more points at that time, then going for it on 4th down would have made a lot of sense.

And that's your opinion but reread your argument. I'll leave it at that. Many of us would have preferred to have taken a shot to win it as well.

And that's your opinion but reread your argument. I'll leave it at that. Many of us would have preferred to have taken a shot to win it as well.

Turning the game over to your defense when they are the best part of your team IS taking a shot to win. If there would have been less than 2 minutes to play, going for it would have made some sense. Behind by more than 8 points, it would have made some sense. In this situation, I believe that you make the smart play to give yourself the best chance to win rather than trying to prove how big your stones are by throwing what would amount to be a Hail Mary too early in the game.

Turning the game over to your defense when they are the best part of your team IS taking a shot to win. If there would have been less than 2 minutes to play, going for it would have made some sense. Behind by more than 8 points, it would have made some sense. In this situation, I believe that you make the smart play to give yourself the best chance to win rather than trying to prove how big your stones are by throwing what would amount to be a Hail Mary too early in the game.

Frenso got the ball back w 3 and change left in the game. Best case scenerio UND gets ball back at roughly same spot on field from where they punted with less than 2 minutes to go if they get a 3 and out w no TOs. At SOME point in your best cast scenerio UND still would have had to complete a pass or 2 of 10-15+ yard to eventually punch it in. Not saying ur point is wrong. Again I just think odds weren't any better in ur scenerio given we would have had to just throw anyways.

Frenso got the ball back w 3 and change left in the game. Best case scenerio UND gets ball back at roughly same spot on field from where they punted with less than 2 minutes to go if they get a 3 and out w no TOs. At SOME point in your best cast scenerio UND still would have had to complete a pass or 2 of 10-15+ yard to eventually punch it in. Not saying ur point is wrong. Again I just think odds weren't any better in ur scenerio given we would have had to just throw anyways.

The difference is that they would have had 4 downs to get those 10-15 yard completions, rather than just 1 attempt. I would rather have 3 or 4 attempts available to make the play rather than 1 do or die attempt. That's why the odds were better.

The difference is that they would have had 4 downs to get those 10-15 yard completions, rather than just 1 attempt. I would rather have 3 or 4 attempts available to make the play rather than 1 do or die attempt. That's why the odds were better.

Ok Sabin...

I found this "shady looking" ad via Google, which claims to be streaming the game live today. Apparently, it costs $20 ($5 now and $15 later, although I'm not sure how that works).

http://www.gamezone....scussions/83156

Anyone ever heard of this? Anyone who has, or is willing to sign up, please reply on this forum so the rest of us can get your feedback.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=322590021

In case you want to read what Azetc fans think about the game (oh please forgive the Bison fans ruining yet another thread NOT about them). Although the one Bison fan that thinks NDSU could rule the Mountain West Conference is funnier than !@#$.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=322590021

In case you want to read what Azetc fans think about the game (oh please forgive the Bison fans ruining yet another thread NOT about them). Although the one Bison fan that thinks NDSU could rule the Mountain West Conference is funnier than !@#$.

Boise would tear NDSU apart, as well as Air Force's Triple Option.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=322590021

I love how lakes goes on and makes comments but when someone said UND has the Nickel, he said he could care less about UND. What a tool

prediction:

UND- 27

SDSU- 21

SDSU will miss a field goal, one will get blocked, and then they quit trying.

While this is probably true about Boise, they are leaving next season yes? And we'll see what happens with them now without Kellen Moore.

Air Force? Meh. Maybe, depends on the season I suppose. I think NDSU could compete pretty well.

I'll take SDSU 34 UND 21.

An Aztec fan mentioned Boise, Air Force, and Wyoming but this Bisonfan (most likely Lakes) said they would "own" that conference because they beat Colorado State. CSU hasn't won more than 3 games in the past what 5 or 6 years.

While this is probably true about Boise, they are leaving next season yes? And we'll see what happens with them now without Kellen Moore.

Air Force? Meh. Maybe, depends on the season I suppose. I think NDSU could compete pretty well.

I'll take SDSU 34 UND 21.

Boise and SDSU leave in 2013, and replaced by San Jose St and Utah St.