SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 3 UND at the big SDSU

geaux_sioux

I think we agree to disagree - I think Mussman has wussed out on multiple occasions - hopefully we are fully loaded now we can change this. It pains me to say it, but the Bison have gone into their FBS games with a much more aggressive attitude and it has payed off. Muss needs to win a big one and soon. Rebuilding is over.

I think you are forgetting a key point that NDSU has had alot more talent on their teams in recent years than North Dakota has. Hate them all you want (as I do), but they won the national title last season, and nearly beat the eventual national champion on the road in the playoffs the year before. The talent on their roster is the biggest reason they beat Kansas, Minnesota, and Colorado St. the last 3 seasons.

North Dakota is closing the gap. They were in position to win at Fresno and Northern Illinois with questionable play at the most important position in sports: Quarterback.

And what you see as "wussing out", I see as smart coaching. You play the percentages. Punting on 4th and long from the opponents 47 yard line when the strength of your team is the defense, and the biggest weakness is the QB position is the smart play.

• Upvote 2

I think you are forgetting a key point that NDSU has had alot more talent on their teams in recent years than North Dakota has. Hate them all you want (as I do), but they won the national title last season, and nearly beat the eventual national champion on the road in the playoffs the year before. The talent on their roster is the biggest reason they beat Kansas, Minnesota, and Colorado St. the last 3 seasons.

North Dakota is closing the gap. They were in position to win at Fresno and Northern Illinois with questionable play at the most important position in sports: Quarterback.

And what you see as "wussing out", I see as smart coaching. You play the percentages. Punting on 4th and long from the opponents 47 yard line when the strength of your team is the defense, and the biggest weakness is the QB position is the smart play.

Which brings up the question - why haven't we recruited talent like they have - I know we have some QB talent now, but this is the longest QB dry spell I can ever remember. We have some work to do, both on the field and getting people in the stands. This is a pivotal year. Hope we can come through.

I listened to the Muss presser last night on our local Fox News. The tone in which he conducts a presser is night and day compared to Bohl. Bohl give you the sense that his team is good, he knows it and they know and they will have a great opportunity to win (each game). Muss sounded like it'll be nice to go to San Diego for a little vacation and used the word "fun"! My family uses that term when we head to Disney World.

I think Mussman has come a long ways in 5 years. I remember before the Texas Tech game I just cringed at how he rolled his eyes and said "it'll be a nice experience for the players".

Last night on the coach's show, he said SDSU may outmatch us, but we will not be intimidated. Hennessy asked if the players are looking forward to sunny San Diego and Muss said the only parts of San Diego they'll see is a hotel and a football field.

Which brings up the question - why haven't we recruited talent like they have - I know we have some QB talent now, but this is the longest QB dry spell I can ever remember. We have some work to do, both on the field and getting people in the stands. This is a pivotal year. Hope we can come through.

I think the biggest thing is the transition. No playoffs is a big deal to alot of kids. When we started ours, the "backyard" kids of our recruiting area could choose from NDSU, SDSU, and Northern Iowa with a chance to win now, or come to North Dakota and set the "foundation". It also didn't help that Lennon moved on just as the transition started, taking key assistants and several recruits from the 1st transition year with him. Guys like Ty Boyle, Broc Bellmore, Dominique Hawkins..................they all came here knowing that the best they could ever hope for was Great West championship.

I think overall, the talent at the skill positions on this years team is as good as it's been in looonnggg time.................

I think Mussman has wussed out on multiple occasions - hopefully we are fully loaded now we can change this. It pains me to say it, but the Bison have gone into their FBS games with a much more aggressive attitude and it has payed off. Muss needs to win a big one and soon. Rebuilding is over.

This...^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't say that's Bohl's swagger helps the ndac win games against fbs schools in as much as they play teams that suck and usually suck bad

ball state 2006 5-7

central michigan 2007 8-6

minnesota 2007 1-11

kansas 2010 3-9

minnesota 2011 3-9

colorado state 2012 (we will see how they finish plus about six starters shouldn't have even played in this game anyways)

IMO the only FBS team we have played that is better than those mentioned above to date was Fresno St. and Muss "played the percentages". :sad: IMO if Muss goes for it last year on 4th down late in that game, the locker room would be more apt to buy what he is selling in games like this Saturday because they know he would give them a shot to win if the opportunity presents itself like last year vs. Fresno.

People, you can spin it however you want, but 'SU is now 6-3 (I believe) vs FBS teams. Name another FCS program in the last 9 years that has that record vs. FBS teams. Much less doing it during a D1 transition. You play who is on your schedule...period. I don't think the Idaho's and ISU's of the world are a notch about the teams you listed above.

I think we have recruited the talent like they have, we just finished our transition and look at the higher level of talent we are already putting on the field. Bottom line during transition it really doesn't matter what your record is you aren't going anywhere at the end of the season (of course if your ego demands it you can claim a ficticous title and hand out ficticious rings). If we stop allowing others to compare one teams transition to anothers we had a very good transition record. Every day it becomes more apparant we don't want to be compared to "that" team for many reasons.

IMO the only FBS team we have played that is better than those mentioned above to date was Fresno St. and Muss "played the percentages". :sad: IMO if Muss goes for it last year on 4th down late in that game, the locker room would be more apt to buy what he is selling in games like this Saturday because they know he would give them a shot to win if the opportunity presents itself like last year vs. Fresno.

People, you can spin it however you want, but 'SU is now 6-3 (I believe) vs FBS teams. Name another FCS program in the last 9 years that has that record vs. FBS teams. Much less doing it the a D1 transition. You play who is on your schedule...period. I don't think the Idaho's and ISU's of the world are a notch about the teams you listed above.

Northern Illinois was a pretty good team. Probably the best FBS teams we've played.

• Upvote 1

Northern Illinois was a pretty good team. Probably the best FBS teams we've played.

I agree 100%. Chandler Harnish was impressive.

They were 11-3 that year, lost in the MAC Championship game and CRUSHED Fresno in the bowl game 40-17.

We were a dropped ball away from winning that game in the last seconds.

I would put them on par with Ball St. from 2006 at best. Not nearly as good as CMU from 2007. Not a college FB expert by any means, but I thought the MAC was generally down overall the year we played NIU.

Point still remains we haven't beat a FBS team. That needs to change. The a88 whooping at Idaho was an embarrassment.

I think defense has been our problem against FBS teams as much as QB. Remember the leads we had against Idaho (we were blowing them out just before the half) and then 9 minutes left in the FSU game we had the lead both games were winnable and the defense let us down especially in the Idaho game. So if we have a lead halfway or late against SDSU the defense better be ready to stop them (unlike the problems that started occuring against Portland State).

I think defense has been our problem against FBS teams as much as QB. Remember the leads we had against Idaho (we were blowing them out just before the half) and then 9 minutes left in the FSU game we had the lead both games were winnable and the defense let us down especially in the Idaho game. So if we have a lead halfway or late against SDSU the defense better be ready to stop them (unlike the problems that started occuring against Portland State).

That is exactly the point some, including me, are trying to make. Playing the "percentages" at that point needed to go out the window. "You play to win the game!"

I would put them on par with Ball St. from 2006 at best. Not nearly as good as CMU from 2007. Not a college FB expert by any means, but I thought the MAC was generally down overall the year we played NIU.

Point still remains we haven't beat a FBS team. That needs to change. The a88 whooping at Idaho was an embarrassment.

IMO....

2010 NIU > 2007 CMU > 2006 Ball St

The fact that ndsu beat that CMU team by 30 was impressive. Still their most impressive FBS win.

Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, and Fresno were all solid teams and UND played pretty well against 2 of them (you could even say UND played fairly well against TT considering they were completely outmatched) but lost in close games. The games against Idaho (a BAD fbs team) were embarrassing and there really isn't an excuse for what happened there.

With at best a bad offense the D had to be perfect to win those period. This year is different, we just need more time of possession to give the d a rest. A nice long drive will make a huge difference.

With at best a bad offense the D had to be perfect to win those period. This year is different, we just need more time of possession to give the d a rest. A nice long drive will make a huge difference.

We need to run the ball or else we are the 1984 Miami Dolphins (all pass, no run). You shut down the pass....you are screwed.

And some of us disagree. There is nothing wrong with playing percentages, especially when you have less talent and a chance to win. After all, if the percentages tell you that one way of doing something has had a record of more success, then you should probably do that. You try to give yourself the best chance to win. The 4th and 15 with more than 3 minutes to play was a horrible time to go for it. Let the strength of your team, the defense and special teams, do what they are supposed to do. It didn't work the way UND wanted. But the chances of converting a 4th and 15 are very small, and if they didn't get the first down Fresno would have had great field position to finish the game. Coaches have to figure out what is best for the team based on the situation and the team itself. Fans can be as aggressive as they want without feeling the consequences. Mussman did what most coaches would have done, and it was a good decision.

• Upvote 1

Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, and Fresno were all solid teams and UND played pretty well against 2 of them (you could even say UND played fairly well against TT considering they were completely outmatched) but lost in close games. The games against Idaho (a BAD fbs team) were embarrassing and there really isn't an excuse for what happened there.

NIU finished top 25. Fresno was a talented pile of garbage. Tech was over rated coming off of their golden age with Crabtree.

And some of us disagree. There is nothing wrong with playing percentages, especially when you have less talent and a chance to win. After all, if the percentages tell you that one way of doing something has had a record of more success, then you should probably do that. You try to give yourself the best chance to win. The 4th and 15 with more than 3 minutes to play was a horrible time to go for it. Let the strength of your team, the defense and special teams, do what they are supposed to do. It didn't work the way UND wanted. But the chances of converting a 4th and 15 are very small, and if they didn't get the first down Fresno would have had great field position to finish the game. Coaches have to figure out what is best for the team based on the situation and the team itself. Fans can be as aggressive as they want without feeling the consequences. Mussman did what most coaches would have done, and it was a good decision.

To add perspective people claiming he needs more balls from the couch should consider how they would call plays in big games if there job is at stake and their offense sucks but the defense is stout

• Upvote 1

And UND never got the ball back. I get what you are saying and but again this was an opportunity against a FBS team...a team you are heavily favored to get beat by...badly. You play those percentages in a game in most circimstances...not that game. 4 and 15 was about the same percentage as punting and getting the ball back, which we didn't. Frenso, if you remember really started to stuff if down our throats running it late 3rd into the early 4th quarter. You punt in that situation if that scenerio presented last week vs. PSU. Against a FBS team...on the road, why not go for it? Just my opinion.

NIU finished top 25. Fresno was a talented pile of garbage. Tech was over rated coming off of their golden age with Crabtree.

I simply said they were all solid (good/talented), wasn't putting them in an order. Tech beat Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Michigan St that year..... not too shabby.

Edit: looking back at Fresno last year, we probably should have won that game.

Edited by UNDBIZ

I bet the SDSU coach, who's team is heavily favored to win this game Saturday, won't play the "percentages". I bet he goes for it on the4th down a couple of time when the percentages say he should punt. And his team has everything to lose.